Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northern Michigan University Wildcats 2016-17 Season Thread: Gotta Get Up And Try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by giwan View Post
    BUT BUT BUT I thought UNO was a like minded school, do they not fund things up to par?
    *snicker*

Regarding Blais and UNO, I'm more of the opinion that an opening at UNO might take a potential candidate away from submitting for NMU. You could have a Rob Facca type who may have wanted to return to college after a stint as a pro recruit, familiar with NMU, and would rather go home to UNO. Or a Nathan Oystrick type who may throw his name in to UNO now instead of NMU so as not to have the pressure of guiding his alma mater weigh him down. And you may have multiple candidates applying to multiple schools with varying selection dates.

This is a very interesting chess game to play out this summer.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
      *snicker*

Regarding Blais and UNO, I'm more of the opinion that an opening at UNO might take a potential candidate away from submitting for NMU. You could have a Rob Facca type who may have wanted to return to college after a stint as a pro recruit, familiar with NMU, and would rather go home to UNO. Or a Nathan Oystrick type who may throw his name in to UNO now instead of NMU so as not to have the pressure of guiding his alma mater weigh him down. And you may have multiple candidates applying to multiple schools with varying selection dates.

This is a very interesting chess game to play out this summer.
      Oystrick, a one year ECHL assistant?
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        Oystrick, a one year ECHL assistant?
        Question your new buddy DonorRoomDrinker for campaigning for him. I just was using his name as an example. Would you rather I said Shyiak in the example? You're lucky I didn't hypothesis Axtell.

And two year. Oystrick was a player/assistant in Elmira under Jamie Russell...

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Re: Northern Michigan University Wildcats 2016-17 Season Thread: Gotta Get Up And Try

Originally posted by aparch View Post
          ...a Nathan Oystrick type who may throw his name in to UNO now instead of NMU so as not to have the pressure of guiding his alma mater weigh him down...
          I would think an alum (assuming they are qualified) might get a longer leash than an outsider. Jamie Russell I believe got at least a couple extra years at Tech where as an outsider might have been cut loose sooner. You have to imagine a team would love to have a homegrown success story lead the team back to glory over an outsider. Just my opinion...
          Ryan
          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
          Originally posted by geezer
          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
          Originally posted by manurespreader
          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Question your new buddy DonorRoomDrinker for campaigning for him. I just was using his name as an example. Would you rather I said Shyiak in the example? You're lucky I didn't hypothesis Axtell.

P/A in the ECHL is a way to write half the player's salary off your cap. You do some travel, some recruiting.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              P/A in the ECHL is a way to write half the player's salary off your cap. You do some travel, some recruiting.
              So learn the ropes, get a little management experience (even in title only), and move on. Sounds like a good learning curve.

There have been some interesting names bandied about the thread, and the official posting allows quite a lot of wiggle room for experience.

Demonstrated hockey coaching experience as a head coach or an assistant coach at the NCAA Division I or III level or comparable coaching experience (e.g., experience with a tier I or tier II junior program, major junior program, or minor league professional team, etc.).
              That opens it up to interested parties with head or assistant coaching time on title at the NAHL, USHL, WHL, OHL, QMJHL, SPHL, ECHL, AHL, or NHL level and they have a bachelor's degree. Doesn't have a minimum coaching time required.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Re: Northern Michigan University Wildcats 2016-17 Season Thread: Gotta Get Up And Try

Speaking of Axtell, Holy sh** has he been through a lot.

http://qctimes.com/mallards-axtell-f...1977c2c7a.html

What a life story! Glad he's doing so well now!

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                  I see the ultimate Yooper sports soap here. JR and Oystie to NMU?

EDIT: Yeah, we all knew about Axtell. Good to hear he cleaned up.

Comment

This is unknown territory that the hockey program is headed through. May the past schools who have navigated this path prior (MTU, BGSU, Notre Dame) or are still navigating through it (LSSU, UAA) act as the "canary in the mine shaft" to direct the University on how to proceed.

RPI, although a tiny specialized engineering school in New York, is currently along side us in these same troubled waters. Concern can be heard from them on how to proceed: Troy Record: Coaching change not enough to revive RPI hockey.

Please Forrest Kart and the Board of Trustees; please take heed, and progress wisely, fully prepared to support this program as it should be.
                    Do the opposite of what we've done, spend money on what you actually need in order to compete, don't half *** it and leave the program out to dry a miserable death.
                    Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

I hope "aparch" is pleased that Rick Comley and Don Waddell are both on the NMU Search Committee to find a new NMU Hockey coach.... It will be interesting to see how he spins that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by DonorRoomDrinker View Post
                        I hope "aparch" is pleased that Rick Comley and Don Waddell are both on the NMU Search Committee to find a new NMU Hockey coach.... It will be interesting to see how he spins that!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        The TV6 Story mentioned Don, but not Rick.

Northern's search underway for new head hockey coach

http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/content/news/Northerns-search-underway-for-new-head-hockey-coach-416275323.html

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                          The TV6 Story mentioned Don, but not Rick.

Northern's search underway for new head hockey coach

http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/...416275323.html
                          There was another story (maybe Mining Journal?) that mentioned Comley.

Comment

• Originally posted by DonorRoomDrinker View Post
                            What's there to spin? I'm glad two former people with close ties to the program are on the committee.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

What's there to spin? I'm glad two former people with close ties to the program are on the committee.
                              I am as well. I've known Rick for over 25 years and have talked to Don on many occasions. I've got nothing but respect for these guys. Tremendous hockey people.

Comment

The NMU Men's hockey coach search should be in good hands with Rick Comley, Don Waddell & Forrest Karr on the search committee.... NMU AD Forrest Karr played college hockey at Notre Dame, coached in the ECHL and the USNDT U-18 team so I would assume they should be able to bring in some good candidates with all the knowledge, experience & contacts that they all have....

Comment

Working...
                                X