Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Wolverines 2016-2017 Season

WOSS (Word On State Street) is that this is Coach Berenson's last year although we knew that. I'm also hearing that Mel is coming back, I personally doubt that though but my guy seemed fairly emphatic about it. Should I believe my source (who has been wrong before) or should I believe the Techie's (who are wrong by their very nature as a Techie)? I suppose I'll let it play out (not that I would have any impact on the decision).

Now hockey is nowhere near the same level as football but AD Manuel is a Michigan Man. He saw, from a distance, what happens when you bring in an outsider (Rich Clod) plus he saw what happens when you bring in a Michigan Man but the wrong Michigan man (Hoke). I think his first choice would be Mel but how much is he willing to pay for Mel? Hockey is self-sustaining so you wouldn't think that cost would be much of an issue. However perhaps AD Manuel thinks that promoting from within (which the Mel choice would indirectly be as well) but has anyone considered Billy? I've also seen the name Danton Cole tossed around here, what are others opinions? Obviously Mel is first choice but what if we can't get him?

alfa and streaker, your input is requested.
    Originally posted by alfablue
    Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
    Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

As I've pointed out before, Mel never said he wouldn't go back to MI. He did say when asked about it, "Red will never retire." He never burned that bridge.
      However, I've never been convinced Mel would be their first choice anyway.
      Also, Mel is not a "Michigan man", except insofar as he coached there. He played at Tech.
      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
        As I've pointed out before, Mel never said he wouldn't go back to MI. He did say when asked about it, "Red will never retire." He never burned that bridge.
        However, I've never been convinced Mel would be their first choice anyway.
        Also, Mel is not a "Michigan man", except insofar as he coached there. He played at Tech.
        Bo was less of a Michigan man than Mel is, if that's your definition.

Relative to Bo, Mel is very much a Michigan man. All the right qualities the school would want- you guys have a great coach, and a really nice guy.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          Bo was less of a Michigan man than Mel is, if that's your definition.

Relative to Bo, Mel is very much a Michigan man. All the right qualities the school would want- you guys have a great coach, and a really nice guy.
          I guess I don't have a good understanding of the phrase. I thought that part 1 of the definition is "alumnus" but that's probably just based on stories I've read about Harbaugh. And he did spend a couple decades there in Ann Arbor.
          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
            When we will find out when they'll change the times for the Tech at Michigan series? I'm anxious to find out if it's Thursday-Friday or Friday or Sunday. It would suck to miss Sunday's game because we need to fly home.
            All Michigan non-conference home games are 7:35pm.
            ---
            National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
            Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
            19 Conference Championships
            10 Conference Tournament Championships
            2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
              I guess I don't have a good understanding of the phrase. I thought that part 1 of the definition is "alumnus" but that's probably just based on stories I've read about Harbaugh. And he did spend a couple decades there in Ann Arbor.
              A lot of people seem to have your version, but also are not from here. Has very little to with actual connection. More of an attitude and understanding than actual connection. The concept is covered well in John Bacon's books.

Remember, Bo was a "Michigan man", but coached under Woody Hayes at Miami before coming here.

Harbaugh is a Michigan Man because he is very much like Bo. Red's a Michigan man for the same reason. And by that extension, one can easily see Mel as a Michigan man.

Comment

I'm led to believe there are two main candidates.

If they stay inside the current staff - Brian Wiseman
                If they go outside the current staff - Billy Muckalt

Danton Cole is a non-starter. And from all indications, so is Mel Pearson.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                  And from all indications, so is Mel Pearson.
                  I'm sure it helps Tech fans to think this. Enjoy Mel's last season there.

Comment

A lot of people seem to have your version, but also are not from here. Has very little to with actual connection. More of an attitude and understanding than actual connection. The concept is covered well in John Bacon's books.

Remember, Bo was a "Michigan man", but coached under Woody Hayes at Miami before coming here.

Harbaugh is a Michigan Man because he is very much like Bo. Red's a Michigan man for the same reason. And by that extension, one can easily see Mel as a Michigan man.
                    I agree with most of what you said with the exception of the implied praise of Bacon. Most of Bacon's stories are fabricated. It is my understanding that Rick Leach, Jaime Morris, Bill Martin, and Don Dufek Sr. all hate the guy for selling the Michigan name. Don't get me wrong, Bacon knows a lot about Michigan history, but he changes so much of it. Bacon is to Michigan what Hollywood is to motion pictures....

But yes being a Michigan Man does not technically mean alumnus. However, I'd like to make the motion that Coach Harbaugh is well on his way, if not already there, to being the ultimate Michigan Man. He was raised in Michigan, spent every waking moment with his Father (who was an Assistant Coach under Bo) at Michigan Football practice, returned to Ann Arbor to play for Michigan, went Pro like Michigan prepares you to, coached successfully at multiple different levels (SDSU, Stanford, San Francisco), and then came back to Ann Arbor to Coach where he first developed his love of football. The guy is eccentric as all get out but he's extremely effective and entertaining. Yes this is a hockey forum and Coach Berenson is a God in his own right (I see many similarities between Coach Berenson and Coach Harbaugh) but yea Coach Harbaugh is getting there.
                    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                      Since there's no Big 10 offseason thread, and the topic has come up in this thread, might as well discuss it here.

I see expectations being Minnesota winning the conference and Mich St. coming in 6th. After that, it gets murkier.

I'd probably put PSU/Wisco likely 4th and 5th in some order, and Mich/OSU likely 2nd and 3rd in some order. I kinda question giving that much respect to Michigan given just how much they have lost, but this is a program that has always been able to use the phrase "we don't rebuild, we reload." There's a reason why there's a running joke - if you don't know anything about Michigan in any given year, you can always just say "#1 recruiting class in the country." (obviously not always true, but they are always legitimately in the mix). It'll take more than just a stud freshman to get Michigan back to the NCAA Tournament, but a stud freshman and some improved defensive play will be enough to put them in the top-half of the Big 10.

We'll see. Nothing ever goes exactly as expected, but that's my take heading into 2016-2017.
                      I think you are pretty close in your estimate. I have MN or UM (depending on the incoming class) then PSU/OSU (either way) UW and MSU. UW could move up if PSU stumbles. MSU is hopelessly mired in the dungeon of disaster as long as tCHHCoMSU is there.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                        I agree with most of what you said with the exception of the implied praise of Bacon. Most of Bacon's stories are fabricated. It is my understanding that Rick Leach, Jaime Morris, Bill Martin, and Don Dufek Sr. all hate the guy for selling the Michigan name. Don't get me wrong, Bacon knows a lot about Michigan history, but he changes so much of it. Bacon is to Michigan what Hollywood is to motion pictures....
                        No matter what you think of Bacon, the concept is outlined pretty well in his books, to me. That wasn't praise or criticism- just a note that if you need a refresher of what it means, pick up a book, and read it there. It's accurate enough to counter the "alumni requirement."

Comment

Originally posted by Decatur Spartan View Post
                          I think you are pretty close in your estimate. I have MN or UM (depending on the incoming class) then PSU/OSU (either way) UW and MSU. UW could move up if PSU stumbles. MSU is hopelessly mired in the dungeon of disaster as long as tCHHCoMSU is there.
                          Should I go to your thread to figure out why you are sticking with the former CCHA head? I don't really understand that at all.

You go from one major historic coach (Mason) to one with great credibility (Comley) who seemed to lose the handle a little, in spite of the NC. How did that translate into getting a compromise as a coach, and then still sticking with him? Is there another sport who is trying to take some control away from hockey? Someone mad that one of the best HC's of all time got to be the AD? I just don't understand how your athletic program is ignoring your significance in college hockey.

Comment

With Jumpman/Nike officially being here I'm anxious to know what the hockey jerseys will look like. Probably no big change but I for one am hoping that the 'script Michigan returns to the maize jerseys.

*******https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-RuC2hCPa8...ky.jpg********
                            Last edited by UMICH; 08-01-2016, 10:16 PM. Reason: Due to my lack of tech savy I couldn't figure out how to post a picture therefore you get a link.

Comment

Some very sad news as Scott Matzka, Class of 2001, has been diagnosed with ALS. Scott is only 38. You can read his story and see how he is battling this disease at http://scottmatzka.com . Good luck Scott!
                              The certainties of life...Death, Taxes and bad B1G Referees.

Comment

Should I go to your thread to figure out why you are sticking with the former CCHA head? I don't really understand that at all.

You go from one major historic coach (Mason) to one with great credibility (Comley) who seemed to lose the handle a little, in spite of the NC. How did that translate into getting a compromise as a coach, and then still sticking with him? Is there another sport who is trying to take some control away from hockey? Someone mad that one of the best HC's of all time got to be the AD? I just don't understand how your athletic program is ignoring your significance in college hockey.
                                That is a good question. Why the AD is sticking with tCHHCoMSU is a puzzle at best. He whinned about not having his recruits the first five years, and now, this his sixth, all incoming are his. Maybe the man can recruit (although they don't seem to be an impressive lot), but he certainly cannot coach. It is a dumpster fire at Munn. Completely puzzled.

Comment

Working...
                                X