This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: ...and suddenly, everyone's a theology scholar

A lot of people are like the Pharisees when it comes to Christianity - they like to make it part of their public personal brand. It's often because they are hiding some skeletons.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
      So your position is that those of faith are wrong because God can't exist. Aren't you becoming the same black and white ideologue as those you despise? By inferring broad conclusions based on extreme individual examples mirrors pundit ideologue tactics. You feel this way, because others have no evidence that God exists. Where's the evidence God doesn't exist? Can't you have some position in between absolutely yes and absolutely no? That to me seems far more rationale and normal.
      You're putting words in atheists' mouths - or rather, a word: can't. It's not that God can't exist. There's just absolutely no evidence that shows that existence. Absence of evidence is not the same as evidence of absence, but nothing has ever been proven to be "true." Atheistic scientists believe in the likely. It's not that God can't exist, but based on the available evidence, it's just not likely (at all) that s/he does.

If God actually does or doesn't exist, it wouldn't change a thing...doing good for your fellow man. Don't be an a hole
      Exactly. So why are you so hell-bent on pushing Christianity specifically instead of just being nice to each other generally?

Extremists have the make up already and are drawn to those ideologies.
      Gosh, can't imagine why extremists would be drawn to an ideology founded on the guy who said, "I am the ultimate truth. Nobody comes to know God except through me."

Lastly, I don't understand why atheists burn so much capital fighting what is really an important and positive tool in so many peoples lives...when they could be using that energy to enact real good in society in other ways.
      Because we can easily keep the baby (being nice to each other), while simultaneously getting rid of a metric crap-ton of bathwater (dogma, extremism, elitism, exclusivity, etc). Why pay for the overhead of a brand name when the source code is in the public domain?
      Last edited by LynahFan; 11-12-2017, 11:31 PM.
      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
        Because we can easily keep the baby (being nice to each other), while simultaneously getting rid of a metric crap-ton of bathwater (dogma, extremism, elitism, exclusivity, etc). Why pay for the overhead of a brand name when the source code is in the public domain?
        Exactly.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

There's just absolutely no evidence that shows that existence. Absence of evidence is not the same as evidence of absence, but nothing has ever been proven to be "true." Atheistic scientists believe in the likely. It's not that God can't exist, but based on the available evidence, it's just not likely (at all) that s/he does.
          No. There is 'just no evidence that God exists'. I have never met anyone who disagrees with this. Atheism by definition is 'the belief that God doesn't exist'...not that there's no evidence. Agnostics are unsure of God.

Assuming atheistic scientists believe that God probably doesn't exist because there is no evidence that S/He does exist...sounds like an appeal to ignorance (beginning to like this logic stuff). That conclusion doesn't sound super scientific to me.

So...if I could prove to you 1) that you can be an agnostic and be part of the team and 2) that being part of this team net improves your life and/or the lives of others...would you take a look at joining the Christian movement?

The answer to this question is actually quite important.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

No. There is 'just no evidence that God exists'. I have never met anyone who disagrees with this. Atheism by definition is 'the belief that God doesn't exist'...not that there's no evidence. Agnostics are unsure of God.

Assuming atheistic scientists believe that God probably doesn't exist because there is no evidence that S/He does exist...sounds like an appeal to ignorance (beginning to like this logic stuff). That conclusion doesn't sound super scientific to me.

So...if I could prove to you 1) that you can be an agnostic and be part of the team and 2) that being part of this team net improves your life and/or the lives of others...would you take a look at joining the Christian movement?

If an agnostic can be part of the team as long as she accepts the philosophical tenets of your idea of christianity, why can't an athiest?

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
              If an agnostic can be part of the team as long as she accepts the philosophical tenets of your idea of christianity, why can't an athiest?
              By being part of the team...I mean participating in team activities - learning about the Bible, joining with other Christians in Christian activities, etc. Sitting at home doing nothing doesn't count...an atheist participating with Christians in Christian activities? Might work. While I've seen agnostics doing this...have not encountered a true atheists able to stomach them.

Again the question is an important one:

If I could prove to you 1) that you can be an agnostic and be active in Christian activities and 2) that being part of these activities net improves your life and/or the lives of others...would you take a look at joining the Christian movement?
              Go Gophers!

Comment

So this makes me wonder- why do you need to do things labeled 'Christian'? Jesus was all about doing. I don't recall much of the Bible telling people to study, study, study. In fact I recall a whole lot of Jesus saying that the obsession with the 'Law' was misguided. That doing the right thing was way more important. If people are actively helping, doing things that fit with Christian Tenets why must they engage in 'Christian' activities? Serious question.

Comment

By being part of the team...I mean participating in team activities - learning about the Bible, joining with other Christians in Christian activities, etc. Sitting at home doing nothing doesn't count...an atheist participating with Christians in Christian activities? Might work. While I've seen agnostics doing this...have not encountered a true atheists able to stomach them.

Again the question is an important one:

If I could prove to you 1) that you can be an agnostic and be active in Christian activities and 2) that being part of these activities net improves your life and/or the lives of others...would you take a look at joining the Christian movement?
                  Odd. I find Atheists much more willing to look deeply at things than the avg Christian. I run the HS discussion group at my church. The 'believers' do way less thinking than the doubters. We had someone bring an atheist friend and he was much more able to look at all sorts of angles than the kids who were brought up believing.

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post

I fully believe #1 already - I grew up I'm a church (I'm talking up to 6 church events per week), and there were many doubters (including me) out there swinging hammers and cutting up firewood with us as we helped out the poor in our community.

I am super curious how you think you can *prove* #2 - that I personally or others in general would be be better off if I stopped helping others so much and used that time to sing hymns in front of some stained glass windows.
                    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

I fully believe #1 already - I grew up I'm a church (I'm talking up to 6 church events per week), and there were many doubters (including me) out there swinging hammers and cutting up firewood with us as we helped out the poor in our community.

I am super curious how you think you can *prove* #2 - that I personally or others in general would be be better off if I stopped helping others so much and used that time to sing hymns in front of some stained glass windows.
                      My memory of religious upbringing is a little dim. Going into the teenage years, I was pretty diligent in preparing for catechism, learning about love and forgiveness and old testament parables. As I aged out of my teenage years, what really stuck with me was that admonition: YOU CANNOT PETITION THE LORD WITH PRAYER!!!

Book of James, I believe.

Comment

Indeed it is.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 11-14-2017, 07:30 PM.
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

My memory of religious upbringing is a little dim. Going into the teenage years, I was pretty diligent in preparing for catechism, learning about love and forgiveness and old testament parables. As I aged out of my teenage years, what really stuck with me was that admonition: YOU CANNOT PETITION THE LORD WITH PRAYER!!!

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          Indeed it is.
                          Ha! I was going to look for this but you saved me. I read the bolded and heard Jim Morrison

Comment

They never disappoint.
                            Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              They never disappoint.
                              Keep in mind this is an actual 4 year old that was raped. (I have kids of my own, so my reaction is nearer rage than glee)
                              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Agnostic is just a modifier, ie an agnostic atheist simply doesn’t believ god exists based on a lack of evidence. Whereas a strong atheist believes that god doesn’t exist. I think people consider themselves “agnostic” but in reality they’re agnostic atheists.

Comment

Working...
                                X