2017-18 Minnesota State Mavericks: Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017-18 Minnesota State Mavericks: Season Thread

Also, since I’m going to try and be back here more frequently, I’ve been told that the Mavs nonconference next season will include BU at home, North Dakota on the road, and the Arizona State Tournament. Not sure if the tournament will allow another series or not, but if they can pay 2 more nonconference games I’d anticipate a home and Home with Minnesota, or SCSU/UMD Home and Home or just one game.
    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
      Also, since I’m going to try and be back here more frequently, I’ve been told that the Mavs nonconference next season will include BU at home, North Dakota on the road, and the Arizona State Tournament. Not sure if the tournament will allow another series or not, but if they can pay 2 more nonconference games I’d anticipate a home and Home with Minnesota, or SCSU/UMD Home and Home or just one game.
      Ive heard there will be a home and home with mn, but that was a couple months ago so it it could have changed
      Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Gila River Arena for ASU, or are they playing in Vegas again next yea?

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
          Ive heard there will be a home and home with mn, but that was a couple months ago so it it could have changed
          That is also, what I heard. I heard nothing about the ASU tournament, although we could play 2 more games, so that is a possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
            Gila River Arena for ASU, or are they playing in Vegas again next yea?
            It won’t be in Vegas, unfortunately. Man, that would be awesome.
            AF 99

Comment

It won’t be in Vegas, unfortunately. Man, that would be awesome.
              This is the first I've heard of the ASU tourney, but hoping its true. If so, I'll be visiting my niece in Scottsdale next winter, coincidentally at the same time.

Go Mavs!

Comment

Originally posted by Double Major View Post
                This is the first I've heard of the ASU tourney, but hoping its true. If so, I'll be visiting my niece in Scottsdale next winter, coincidentally at the same time.

Go Mavs!
                From what I heard tonight, it is a done deal. We will be playing in the ASU tourney. I also will be taking this trip to Arizona.

Comment

Vegas would be sweet. When SCSU played in the Arizona State Desert Classic in 2016 it was in Prescott, a shade under 2 hours from Skyharbor Airport. Definitely not Phoenix and not the desert heat you envision in AZ.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Pump It Up View Post
                    Vegas would be sweet. When SCSU played in the Arizona State Desert Classic in 2016 it was in Prescott, a shade under 2 hours from Skyharbor Airport. Definitely not Phoenix and not the desert heat you envision in AZ.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                    Prescott?!? Good grief. My niece lives about 2 miles from the ASU campus. How fast can they build that new arena?

Comment

Originally posted by Iwearpurple View Post
                      From what I heard tonight, it is a done deal. We will be playing in the ASU tourney. I also will be taking this trip to Arizona.
                      This is a New Year tourney, right? Or is it Thanksgiving weekend?

Comment

Just to correct a mistake I made in an earlier post - The ASU tournament, the Desert Hockey Classic, was never played in Vegas. ASU hosted the Desert Hockey Classic in 2015-2016 in early January in the Gila River Arena (Coyotes home) and then again in 2016-2017 in late December in Prescott, in an arena that can seat around 5000. This season, ASU participated in, but didn't host, the inaugural Ice Vegas Invitational in Las Vegas, and did not have their Desert Hockey Classic. So the 2 tournaments are totally separate, but have not occurred in the same season. The only common denominator was ASU played in both.

So I don't think we're going to Vegas next season. I'm not sure if we're going to Glendale or Prescott.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post

So I don't think we're going to Vegas next season. I'm not sure if we're going to Glendale or Prescott.
                          For sake of travelers, hopefully Glendale. Prescott is like two hours from Phoenix and I think the temp there was only about 40-45 degrees when SCSU went out there two years ago.
                          Originally posted by dicaslover
                          Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                          Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Thoughts on the possibility of playing in Sioux Falls?

I believe the Mavs have a very good hockey team, one capabale of making a run to the Frozen Four.

Do the Mavs really want to go to the Sioux Falls regional? Just curious what thoughts are on if people want the Mavs in Sioux Falls, with more than likely North Dakota(and their fans) as well as St. Cloud headed there. Now, if the Mavs are a 1 seed and so is SCSU, this is probably an irrelevant conversation, but just curious if people care one way or the other.

Regardless what happens, the Mavs are gonna have to win two tough games to punch a ticket to St. Paul. Still think you want the “easiest” path if possible; not sure that’s going to include a trip to Sioux Falls.
                            AF 99

Comment

I believe the Mavs have a very good hockey team, one capabale of making a run to the Frozen Four.

Do the Mavs really want to go to the Sioux Falls regional? Just curious what thoughts are on if people want the Mavs in Sioux Falls, with more than likely North Dakota(and their fans) as well as St. Cloud headed there. Now, if the Mavs are a 1 seed and so is SCSU, this is probably an irrelevant conversation, but just curious if people care one way or the other.

Regardless what happens, the Mavs are gonna have to win two tough games to punch a ticket to St. Paul. Still think you want the “easiest” path if possible; not sure that’s going to include a trip to Sioux Falls.
                              Selfishly, I have 2 tickets to Sioux Falls. It's just over an hour's drive from my house. I think it would be great!

And yes, it will be difficult to beat NoDak in Sioux Falls (or Allentown, or anywhere else). But BU beat them last year in Fargo. It's not an insurmountable task. And as you note, in the NCAA tournament, there aren't any easy outs.

I went to Boston this year, expecting to see us lose 2 games. I went to St. Cloud, expecting us to lose a televised game on Hockey Day in Minnesota. I'm starting to really believe in the ability and resiliency of this team, anywhere they go.

Comment

As it stands right now, one of the projections I saw was MS vs UND and Denver vs Michigan. That to me is a tall task for any of the 4 teams. UND at home, Defending Nat Champions and a hot MI team would be tough. I guess the "easy" route didn't work for us last time so we may as well go the toughest way this time.
                                Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Working...
                                X