Olympic women's hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
    [ARM, you are characterized by restraint and judgement. My impatience led to an ill-advised post. Chalk it up to excitement and extreme fatigue in the afterglow of the game. I have now had a good night's sleep. ]
    Well that's classy
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

• Re: Olympic women's hockey

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
      Yes. Your main point was a good one. I was just being picky for accuracy sake. Had an American figure skater, especially a woman, wowed the Games, it would have overshadowed some of the women's hockey success. As would have Vonn.

BTW, looking back at the 1980 Winter Olympics, from an American perspective, it was a huge bust (even considering we weren't as strong in winter sports back then). Especially considering the home country usually gets a boost. USA won only six gold medals, and only two entities won them -- Eric Heiden took five golds and of course the men's hockey team.

But because Heiden won all the speed skating events (a Phelps type performance, or back in those days, it would have been considered a Spitz like performance) which is a huge story and of course the Miracle on Ice story, we think those Olympics were a great American success. However, considering the hype surrounding other American athletes, Heiden was the only one who lived up to that hype. Phil Mahre was a disappointment. Linda Fratianne only managed a silver. And the biggest disappointment was the withdrawal of the Tai Babilonia and Randy Gardner pairs team, who were considered locks, due to injury.
      In addition to those two, what I remember most is Phil Mahre getting a silver in the slalom. The U.S. didn't win ski racing medals at the time. It was pretty huge actually, and sort of led to the success in 1984.
      "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
        The American Olympic audience as a whole is involuntarily subjected to what is for many the manufactured excitement of skeleton, curling and short track pushing, etc. These no doubt have their fans, but if the (miraculous) game of women’s hockey were what happened to be readily available for passive consumption the excitement would be real and most welcome, I imagine, bump or no bump. There certainly would be more buzz, given what even this inaccessible game seemed to produce.
        Short track is fantastic. There's nothing manufactured about it.

And curling is fun, too. And I like all the sliding sports. But, that's me.
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
          Loved your refugee comment about the Lams. They should be in photos on the wall with our other Olympians. When they played in the 2010 Olympics the only college they had played for was Minnesota. Maybe now that they've won gold medals their photos would be a little more accepted inside Ridder arena. I guess I wouldn't hold my breath though.
          If you're serious about getting the Lam's pictures up at Ridder, I'll help! Are you at games this weekend? Where to begin needs to be figured out, and we need to find out if J+M would even back the idea. Is there a way to IM each other info without everyone else seeing our info?

Comment

I watched the replay last night and so many little things stood out that I missed the first time. Like Keller racing down ice to prevent an icing that would have given Canada another offensive zone face-off with tired players, Pacquette failing to keep the puck in the USA zone off the draw on their end of regulation PP, Rebecca Johnston on the same PP parked right where Poulin scored in Sochi only Johnston's attempt missed the net and Maddie Rooney making a small adjustment in her stance for Agosta's second shootout attempt where she dared her to shoot glove side. Agosta took the bait and tried to go backhand as Rooney stuffed her. Small moments but they add up to one great game. I will say that not enough has been made of Kessel's shootout goal. How many times do you see one team score in the shootout only to have the other team stoned on their next attempt? Kessel deserves a ton of credit for the weight of the US was on her shoulders. Immense pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
              Leading up to the Olympics the media darlings were Nathan Chen, Lyndsey Vonn & Shaun White. Only White delivered gold. Chen was a bust and you almost felt sorry for Vonn, a once dominant force who stayed at the dance too long. The new media darlings are teenage snowboarders and-surprise!- women’s hockey players! If Chen, Vonn and any women figure skaters had won gold I think they would’ve stolen the spotlight away from hockey. Fortunately the American women delivered in dramatic fashion and provided the best American moment of the Olympics that otherwise lacked drama. Well done, ladies!
              Being retired I had a lot of time to watch the Olympic Broadcasts in a lot of the sports and I think the greatest accomplishments for the US is a tie between the US women's hockey gold and the first ever women's gold medal in cross-country skiing won by the US pair of Jessie Diggins and Kikkan Randall. Any of you who did not see that performance by the two should try to get a replay, if nothing more than to view the last lap that Diggin's skied. To me, that last lap and especially the last oh 100 yards or so of that lap will forever live in my mind as one of the greatest moments I have ever witnessed in the Olympics. And Diggins has been selected to be the Americans' flag-bearer at the closing ceremony on Sunday. An honor that is well deserved.

In this story below is a clip of the final 48 sec of the race. See the second clip.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/jess...osing-ceremony
              Last edited by vicb; 02-23-2018, 12:35 PM.
              Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
              And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
              WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
              If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

To paraphrase a statement from someone in the not too distant past, "It depends on what the meaning of the word "bump" is." Still feeling the excitement of the great USA win but having had only 3 hours of sleep I wrote that maybe the "bump" in women's hockey would be similar to that seen in girl's tennis in the 70's when Billie Jean dissected Bobby in 3 sets in the Astrodome. It ain't gonna happen. I played a lot of tennis on the east side of St Paul in the 70's and I did notice more young girls playing on the courts. But it was fairly inexpensive at that time for parents to purchase a cheap tennis racket and a can of balls for their 10-year-old future "Billie Jean" or "Chris Evert." I imagine tennis today and maybe even more so hockey requires a much bigger expense and commitment on the part of both the parents and their children.

I'd be happy with even a slight bump in interest and participation in girl's and women's hockey. Oh, and another team to join the WCHA. Do they play hockey in Iowa? I've about given up on Michigan ever having a women's team.
                Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 02-23-2018, 04:16 PM. Reason: What did Stevenson say would freeze over first?
                "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Oh, and another team to join the WCHA. Do they play hockey in Iowa? I've about given up on Michigan ever having a women's team.
                  I have always wondered about bringing Lindenwood into the WCHA. Not the Lindenwood that currently exists, but rather the Lindenwood that would benefit from being part of the WCHA. If they made a commitment to become competitive, and also committed to breathable air in their arena, it would benefit both the school and the league.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                    I will say that not enough has been made of Kessel's shootout goal. How many times do you see one team score in the shootout only to have the other team stoned on their next attempt? Kessel deserves a ton of credit for the weight of the US was on her shoulders. Immense pressure.
                    I totally agree with you. And the way Kessel subtly faked the goalie into a momentary freeze and dropping her glove hand ever so slightly to allow Kessel to rip it (with an extremely quick release) over the glove before the goalie could recover. It was a fantastic move (that you can't totally appreciate unless you replay it in slow motion) that gets overshadowed by the more flashy (not to say they weren't fantastic) moves.
                    Russell Jaslow

Comment

To paraphrase a statement from someone in the not too distant past, "It depends on what the meaning of the word "bump" is." Still feeling the excitement of the great USA win but having had only 3 hours of sleep I wrote that maybe the "bump" in women's hockey would be similar to that seen in girl's tennis in the 70's when Billie Jean dissected Bobby in 3 sets in the Astrodome. It ain't gonna happen. I played a lot of tennis on the east side of St Paul in the 70's and I did notice more young girls playing on the courts. But it was fairly inexpensive at that time for parents to purchase a cheap tennis racket and a can of balls for their 10-year-old future "Billie Jean" or "Chris Evert." I imagine tennis today and maybe even more so hockey requires a much bigger expense and commitment on the part of both the parents and their children.

I'd be happy with even a slight bump in interest and participation in girl's and women's hockey. Oh, and another team to join the WCHA. Do they play hockey in Iowa? I've about given up on Michigan ever having a women's team.
                      If, for one, would love for any of the universities in Michigan to step up and get into Women's hockey. To have only one "meaningful" women's team in the state, in a state with seven D1 Men's programs, is very disheartening. My daughter has missed this boat, but would be great to keep Michigan grown players in Michigan.

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                        Being retired I had a lot of time to watch the Olympic Broadcasts in a lot of the sports and I think the greatest accomplishments for the US is a tie between the US women's hockey gold and the first ever women's gold medal in cross-country skiing won by the US pair of Jessie Diggins and Kikkan Randall. Any of you who did not see that performance by the two should try to get a replay, if nothing more than to view the last lap that Diggin's skied. To me, that last lap and especially the last oh 100 yards or so of that lap will forever live in my mind as one of the greatest moments I have ever witnessed in the Olympics. And Diggins has been selected to be the Americans' flag-bearer at the closing ceremony on Sunday. An honor that is well deserved.
                        My wife is big time into cross country skiing, and she told me exactly that. She got so excited explaining to me, and said that last lap was epic. She keeps telling me to catch the replay. I definitely plan on doing that.
                        Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
                          I have always wondered about bringing Lindenwood into the WCHA. Not the Lindenwood that currently exists, but rather the Lindenwood that would benefit from being part of the WCHA. If they made a commitment to become competitive, and also committed to breathable air in their arena, it would benefit both the school and the league.
                          You're so picky...
                          Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by DDad16 View Post
                            If, for one, would love for any of the universities in Michigan to step up and get into Women's hockey. To have only one "meaningful" women's team in the state, in a state with seven D1 Men's programs, is very disheartening. My daughter has missed this boat, but would be great to keep Michigan grown players in Michigan.
                            I assume your "meaningful" program is Adrian, the sixth-ranked team in the country? There's also Finlandia, FWIW.

But yes, it's terrible that not a single one of the seven D-I teams in Michigan has a women's program. I can almost understand the four WCHA schools, but I thought when Red finally stepped down the Wolverines might step up, as Berenson was always a big road block, and the five other Big Ten schools have a women's program, but nada so far.
                            "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Comment

Originally posted by DDad16 View Post
                              I grew up in Michigan, left there in '74 for Minnesota. I'm 67, and in my youth there was no kids, high school or college hockey that I was aware of. The Red Wings were it, and our family dentist , and good friend of my parents was rhe Red Wing dentist. I got to watch a lot of games in the '60's from right behind the goal, in smoke filled Olympia Stadium. Is there girls high school and earlier hockey in Michigan today? If not, that might explain the lack of interest in a college women's program. If you want to watch some more remarkable women's hockey, besides the NCAA, find a way to stream the MN High School tournament, now through the weekend. I guarantee you'll see a few future NCAA stars and future Olympians playing.

Comment

Originally posted by drewkal View Post
                                I grew up in Michigan, left there in '74 for Minnesota. I'm 67, and in my youth there was no kids, high school or college hockey that I was aware of. The Red Wings were it, and our family dentist , and good friend of my parents was rhe Red Wing dentist. I got to watch a lot of games in the '60's from right behind the goal, in smoke filled Olympia Stadium. Is there girls high school and earlier hockey in Michigan today? If not, that might explain the lack of interest in a college women's program. If you want to watch some more remarkable women's hockey, besides the NCAA, find a way to stream the MN High School tournament, now through the weekend. I guarantee you'll see a few future NCAA stars and future Olympians playing.
                                There are about 10-15 HS Hockey teams in the state of Michigan, all centralized in the Detroit area. That level of hockey is Tier 2 at best (and that's the top HS Teams). Some decent Tier 2 teams in the State, and they limited the number of Tier 1 teams in the state to 4. The level of Tier 1 hockey in the state is decent but can't compete with the prep schools overall. I know Belle Tire won the 16U championship last year, and the 19U team is good this year, but very few of those girls were actually developed in the Belle Tire program. They were recruited there.

Comment

Working...
                                X