Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2016 - 2017: Here we go again! I hope it's a fun ride.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2016 - 2017: Here we go again! I hope it's a fun ride.

Originally posted by rvd5star69 View Post
    Never even should of mAde the NCAA they year if they used real people and not pairwise we would of skipped the 7-0 beat down
    IMHO, anything is better than the smoke-filled room for making decisions on whom to include.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by rvd5star69 View Post
      Never even should of mAde the NCAA they year if they used real people and not pairwise we would of skipped the 7-0 beat down
      We only lost 6-0 to NoDak. Also you're just so very wrong. The pairwise isn't perfect, but if we had people choose the field instead of people, there would be 6 Hockey East and NCHC teams in the tournament every year. Why should our wins early that season be devalued just because we finished weak?
      RPI Pep Band
      GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
      🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
      2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
      2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
        We only lost 6-0 to NoDak. Also you're just so very wrong. The pairwise isn't perfect, but if we had people choose the field instead of people, there would be 6 Hockey East and NCHC teams in the tournament every year. Why should our wins early that season be devalued just because we finished weak?
        To be fair, there was a time when the PWR included a "Last ## games" in determining the comparison. Also at the time, there was also the "TUC Cliff" (can't remember if it was .5000 RatingsPI or if it was still Top 25, but it helped that we lost to Colgate and didn't have to play Cornell again). Obviously it was still an objective ranking system, so it was well known how to get there, and we did as such. Yes, some people thought we shouldn't go because we'd just end up getting nationally embarrassed, but making top 15 with a 8-1-3 OOC record (especially since the 16th team was AHA) is pretty gosh darn solid, no matter how you do it.

If some are saying we shouldn't have made it because of the extensions it triggered (a bit of a hindsight argument, but something to certainly think about), that seems more of a fault of the Col.'s views on the matter, especially since he had offered a large extension the year before. And sadly, if he were still with us, I would not have been surprised to see another "extension" after last year's winning season (we had more wins than losses on the year; it truly was a winning season).

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          Obviously it was still an objective ranking system, so it was well known how to get there, and we did as such.
          Exactly. Everyone knew the rules going in and we did what we needed to do to get in. There were (and are) certainly faults in the way the Pairwise is worked out, but they applied to everyone and we happened to benefit from some things that have since changed.
          RPI Pep Band
          GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
          🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
          2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
          2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
            Exactly. Everyone knew the rules going in and we did what we needed to do to get in. There were (and are) certainly faults in the way the Pairwise is worked out, but they applied to everyone and we happened to benefit from some things that have since changed.
            One of the things that's very dependent in the ratings (even today) is how your opponents do. In 10-11, our NC opponents were CC (2), Northeastern, Bentley, RIT, Niagara, Union, UCONN, Bowling Green, BU, Alabama Huntsville (2). Sure, you could say, minus CC and BU, it was a bit of a cupcake-ish NC setup. We did beat BU, and they went on a tear in Hockey East, which really propelled us. Also, the one of the "first teams out" was Nebraska Omaha, who split with UAH. If UAH got swept, we would not have made it. Colorado College was also quite strong in the WCHA, even though that was a loss and tie, it did help out a bit.

Obviously we'd like to help ourselves first, but it's kind of interesting how, for an at-large bid, not only do you need to be good, but you need to have the "right" opponents.

Comment

Hello all, it’s been a long time. I hope this finds all of you well. I would like to extend my holiday wishes to all of you. I see that many of you are very upset about this year’s results; you can count me in as well as being upset with what has transpired. As many of you are aware, I am a fan of Seth Appert and believe that he is a wonderful representative of RPI. I know many of you are aware of this already. Let me add a dose of reality without offending any of you that are Alumni and licensed Engineers. I can tell you that people are not beating down the door to go to RPI if they are good hockey players; the academic standards are very rigorous even in the Lally School. Bottom line, RPI is a small Engineering School in Troy, NY. Now as many of you are aware I am a lifelong Trojan and have spent my whole life here, I love it and the many people who live here but RPI most likely will never be the hockey hotbed of the world as long as these standards are in place. You’re not a Liberal Arts School where hockey players can get by and get a degree; most top flight hockey players, if not all have spent their time on the ice not in the books.
              The administration has built a beautiful football field for a D III program while leaving their hockey facility in place making meager cosmetic improvements to the Field House that hosts D1 Hockey. Do you not think prospective recruits see this and wonder what the deal is regarding this allocation of resources? Again, RPI Hockey will not be a major part of the conversation as long as this continues. I love the Field House, I grew up there. I live pretty much next door. Bottom line- until a new facility is built things aren’t going to change much. You need to realize that hockey players come from wealthy families because it is an expensive sport. Players are accustomed to state of the art in their life and the HFH does not scream new, state of the art.
              I’m not asking you to change your expectations but you all need to understand the reality. We applaud when the team does well academically but the top talent is not gifted academically. The most talented team that walks off the bus wins, that’s the way of the world folks.
              The goaltending has not been good, the defense even worse, the scoring has been anemic. I am hoping for a better second half from the boys. Like the old days I will try to take on all comers who want to come after me. My best to Coach Appert, Vines and Graham. I am a Seth guy and continue to be so.
              "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                Hello all, it’s been a long time. I hope this finds all of you well. I would like to extend my holiday wishes to all of you. I see that many of you are very upset about this year’s results; you can count me in as well as being upset with what has transpired. As many of you are aware, I am a fan of Seth Appert and believe that he is a wonderful representative of RPI. I know many of you are aware of this already. Let me add a dose of reality without offending any of you that are Alumni and licensed Engineers. I can tell you that people are not beating down the door to go to RPI if they are good hockey players; the academic standards are very rigorous even in the Lally School. Bottom line, RPI is a small Engineering School in Troy, NY. Now as many of you are aware I am a lifelong Trojan and have spent my whole life here, I love it and the many people who live here but RPI most likely will never be the hockey hotbed of the world as long as these standards are in place. You’re not a Liberal Arts School where hockey players can get by and get a degree; most top flight hockey players, if not all have spent their time on the ice not in the books.
                The administration has built a beautiful football field for a D III program while leaving their hockey facility in place making meager cosmetic improvements to the Field House that hosts D1 Hockey. Do you not think prospective recruits see this and wonder what the deal is regarding this allocation of resources? Again, RPI Hockey will not be a major part of the conversation as long as this continues. I love the Field House, I grew up there. I live pretty much next door. Bottom line- until a new facility is built things aren’t going to change much. You need to realize that hockey players come from wealthy families because it is an expensive sport. Players are accustomed to state of the art in their life and the HFH does not scream new, state of the art.
                I’m not asking you to change your expectations but you all need to understand the reality. We applaud when the team does well academically but the top talent is not gifted academically. The most talented team that walks off the bus wins, that’s the way of the world folks.
                The goaltending has not been good, the defense even worse, the scoring has been anemic. I am hoping for a better second half from the boys. Like the old days I will try to take on all comers who want to come after me. My best to Coach Appert, Vines and Graham. I am a Seth guy and continue to be so.
                Are you saying RPI is harder to get into then the Ivy schools? Other than Colgate and perhaps Q, who in our league has new hockey facilities? Yale? I don't think so and their boys were good enough to bring home a championship.

Comment

Originally posted by Stay@homeDad View Post
                  Are you saying RPI is harder to get into then the Ivy schools? Other than Colgate and perhaps Q, who in our league has new hockey facilities? Yale? I don't think so and their boys were good enough to bring home a championship.
                  Yes and they offer liberal arts courses. You dont have to take Calculus either like you do at Lally. Fact of life bro. I love HFH to but it's old. Other school similar to ours is RIT, new rink. Plus your skates are too small (inside joke). Btw- Colgate and Q Liberal arts schools.
                  "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Bottom line- until a new facility is built things aren’t going to change much.
                    Sorry Aspy, but I'm not buying. I think the current direction of the program has a lot more to do with the guy overseeing the recruiting, drawing up the plays, and devising strategy than it does with the building or the admissions standards. Every program faces recruiting challenges. Maybe ours are a little higher in some regard but I don't think that's the whole story here. This was Seth's first head coaching gig and it hasn't gone as well as we all hoped it would when he was hired 10 years ago. Doesn't make him a bad guy. A decade into this experiment, I now think there's probably someone else out there who can represent the school with class, maintain high graduation rate, and improve upon the .425 win percentage, even with the hurdles imposed by academic standards and the disadvantages of the building.

Comment

• Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                      Yes and they offer liberal arts courses. You dont have to take Calculus either like you do at Lally. Fact of life bro. I love HFH to but it's old. Other school similar to ours is RIT, new rink. Plus your skates are too small (inside joke). Btw- Colgate and Q Liberal arts schools.
                      Quinnipiac isn't a liberal arts school. Far from it.
                      QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                      2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                      2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                      2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                      https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
                      https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                      https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                        Quinnipiac isn't a liberal arts school. Far from it.
                        lol
                        Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by vicious View Post
                          Sorry Aspy, but I'm not buying. I think the current direction of the program has a lot more to do with the guy overseeing the recruiting, drawing up the plays, and devising strategy than it does with the building or the admissions standards. Every program faces recruiting challenges. Maybe ours are a little higher in some regard but I don't think that's the whole story here. This was Seth's first head coaching gig and it hasn't gone as well as we all hoped it would when he was hired 10 years ago. Doesn't make him a bad guy. A decade into this experiment, I now think there's probably someone else out there who can represent the school with class, maintain high graduation rate, and improve upon the .425 win percentage, even with the hurdles imposed by academic standards and the disadvantages of the building.
                          Plus its a lot easier to recruit players from MN and western Canada when your coaching in Denver. Just a bit of a stretch trying to get them to come to Troy - and so far it hasn't worked.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                            lol
                            I guess they call it Conservative Arts to please our new President.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

AspyDad isn't using his usual terminology? Things must REALLY be bad...

If we want to see the effects of a new rink, we don't have to look too far away, just over to Hamilton. Sure, they just built it, but we'll see what happens.

Comment

When I was at the 'tute, there was a joke going around that Industrial Management Engineering (IME) was management with real calculus. Whether it's true or not, I don't know; I was a bit more focused on my workload at the time.

If we don't see you on here again, have a happy Christmas.

Comment

Working...
                                X