This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Headline News Thread

I 100% agree it's our culture, not the guns, that is the problem. We can now only limit the damage. More laws MIGHT help that, and I'm willing to compromise a bit, even if I disagree with some of the suggestions for new laws, just to help try and limit that damage. Will it work? I dunno. It could end up worse than we have it now, it could be better.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      I 100% agree it's our culture, not the guns, that is the problem.
      Guns are a part of the culture. If you don't think so, go to almost any other country where guns aren't part of the culture.

Comment

I 100% agree it's our culture, not the guns, that is the problem. We can now only limit the damage. More laws MIGHT help that, and I'm willing to compromise a bit, even if I disagree with some of the suggestions for new laws, just to help try and limit that damage. Will it work? I dunno. It could end up worse than we have it now, it could be better.
        Not sure how worse could happen but then no one would think we would have one of these a few times a month never mind once a yr. It has been a public health issue since I was in grad school. We were taught to screen just like for lead paint and other safety issues. Now in FLA the pedi can't ask safety questions about guns. Against the law. Yep. Really. I am so glad the kids have mobilized. Adolescents stay pi55ed and they lobby folk have nothing they can threaten with. They are asking, on the most part, very reasonable questions and they aren't being shushed.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
          Not sure how worse could happen but then no one would think we would have one of these a few times a month never mind once a yr. It has been a public health issue since I was in grad school. We were taught to screen just like for lead paint and other safety issues. Now in FLA the pedi can't ask safety questions about guns. Against the law. Yep. Really. I am so glad the kids have mobilized. Adolescents stay pi55ed and they lobby folk have nothing they can threaten with. They are asking, on the most part, very reasonable questions and they aren't being shushed.
          It could end up in more mass shooting because less of the populace is armed. And (not you) shush about me being told a narrative. It IS a possibility. You have to consider ALL possibilities before moving forward. As far as gun violence, school shootings are still rare, relatively, in relation to overall gun violence. It's why it's news and makes the headlines. Like plane crashes vs car crashes. One is more rare.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
            Guns are a part of the culture. If you don't think so, go to almost any other country where guns aren't part of the culture.
            yep. I have relatives in Scotland. When the shooting happened over there there was none of this whining and BS. They looked to the greater good and fixed it. We can't even pay for research to figure out the scope of the problem (well, now that is included in the latest budget bill but for sure we will see a veto). LOoking from the outside there are no reasonable excuses for refusing to regulate in the same way we do car licenses- get educated, pass a test, get insurance. The kids all wanted to know why people tweak about that. They are all at an age where they are either getting their licenses or soon. They think it is absurd they have to work so hard to drive but they could go places and buy a gun. They figure no amount of whining they have a right to drive will get them out of it. Started spouting Constitutional arguments for why you don't have a right for a bazooka so why is a 38 different? I spent a lot of time saying, 'I don't know' on Sunday.

Comment

It could end up in more mass shooting because less of the populace is armed. And (not you) shush about me being told a narrative. It IS a possibility. You have to consider ALL possibilities before moving forward. As far as gun violence, school shootings are still rare, relatively, in relation to overall gun violence. It's why it's news and makes the headlines. Like plane crashes vs car crashes. One is more rare.
              Except I think the shootings have outnumbered the plane crashes and they are getting more common. If you look at overall cause of death in public health stats gun stuff is nuts. Has been for yrs, before it was ever political. I come at this from a public health perspective- stats when guns are around are nasty. Overall risk is significantly higher. Has been for at least 40 yrs (from when I was in undergrad), way before anyone got a bee in their bonnet about it.

Think about drunk driving. Everyone used to accept what happened as an accident. Everyone drank and drove. Now it is highly unacceptable. There are limits, tests and all sorts of consequence. It is possible to change culture. It just takes enough people saying too many are dying to overwhelm those who want to have fun despite risk to others.

And I am going to bed. Nighty night!

Comment

Except I think the shootings have outnumbered the plane crashes and they are getting more common. If you look at overall cause of death in public health stats gun stuff is nuts. Has been for yrs, before it was ever political. I come at this from a public health perspective- stats when guns are around are nasty. Overall risk is significantly higher. Has been for at least 40 yrs (from when I was in undergrad), way before anyone got a bee in their bonnet about it.

Think about drunk driving. Everyone used to accept what happened as an accident. Everyone drank and drove. Now it is highly unacceptable. There are limits, tests and all sorts of consequence. It is possible to change culture. It just takes enough people saying too many are dying to overwhelm those who want to have fun despite risk to others.

And I am going to bed. Nighty night!
                Whoa whoa. I was talking about school shootings: overall gun violence in relation to plane crashes:car crashes. That ratio is vastly different.

Comment

Whoa whoa. I was talking about school shootings: overall gun violence in relation to plane crashes:car crashes. That ratio is vastly different.
                  Part of the overall culture.

Comment

Part of the overall culture.
                    Vague, but thinking you mean a bit of "If it bleeds, it leads" media thing, and of course, hot topic of the day.

Comment

I complain a lot about idiotic news reporting, but I'm really grateful for NPR. Especially in times like these, when we are subject to a steady diet of childish idiocy from our prez and cable news that is designed for the incurious (and uneducated), NPR is both interesting and, for the most part, responsible. I contribute but should probably give more.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Almost always a full time officer. Ours were always within 8-10 years of retirement.
                        Oh, so a school cop. Who the hell came up with the stupid, non-descriptive as **** term "resource officer"? How ****ing stupid. When I was in school, we just called him Marty.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                          Oh, so a school cop. Who the hell came up with the stupid, non-descriptive as **** term "resource officer"? How ****ing stupid. When I was in school, we just called him Marty.
                          In our town it is supposed to combine with being a friendly presence hence the PC term- Resource Officer. We don't have DARE officer anymore because we are too cheap to pay for one. We have 5-6 schools now. He is supposed to flit between them all putting out fires- dealing with everything that comes up. They can't possibly be paying him enough.

Comment

Yeah, our officer was often our DARE cop as well. Until DARE died.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                              In our town it is supposed to combine with being a friendly presence hence the PC term- Resource Officer.
                              Careful, you're going to trigger him with that language.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                Yeah, our officer was often our DARE cop as well. Until DARE died.
                                We never had DARE. I think there was some other knockoff program, but I didn't much pay attention to it. I was more worried about, you know, more important stuff, like Calculus, Chemistry and Physics.
                                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X