Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    Reilly's penalty at the end was totally inappropriate, from a player that has often left me with the impression of having an attitude problem.
    Her penalty at the end of the game was obviously out of frustration, but I agree that's no excuse; it was clearly inappropriate. But looking back on the season, her senior year, you have to give her credit for the effort she gave, game in and game out. While not having the greatest hands nor the hardest shot on the team, her speed and relentless effort created opportunities, and she did end the year as the team's 5th leading scorer. Yes, she was perhaps a little "overly feisty" at times, but I would argue that her season total of 6 minor penalties in 37 games is not excessive, and is more reflective of her competitiveness than an attitude problem.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      Her penalty at the end of the game was obviously out of frustration, but I agree that's no excuse; it was clearly inappropriate. But looking back on the season, her senior year, you have to give her credit for the effort she gave, game in and game out. While not having the greatest hands nor the hardest shot on the team, her speed and relentless effort created opportunities, and she did end the year as the team's 5th leading scorer. Yes, she was perhaps a little "overly feisty" at times, but I would argue that her season total of 6 minor penalties in 37 games is not excessive, and is more reflective of her competitiveness than an attitude problem.
      "Overly feisty" at times yes, but no Sam LaShomb. She was a good player that gave it her all. It's been fun watching all four of the Reilly's play at the U, none more than Caitlin.
      Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-11-2018, 12:15 AM. Reason: Hockey Life of Reilly's?
      "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
        It's been fun watching all four of the Reilly's play at the U, none more than Caitlin.
        Yes, and in addition to those "all four" who played at the U there was the oldest sibling, Shannon, who played and excelled at Ohio State. Is there any other family that had as many as five siblings play D1 hockey?

Comment

Yes, and in addition to those "all four" who played at the U there was the oldest sibling, Shannon, who played and excelled at Ohio State. Is there any other family that had as many as five siblings play D1 hockey?
          Not that I ever heard. The Reilly's certainly made history at the U though, as the article below points out.
          http://www.startribune.com/reilly-br...ory/247698521/

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
            Have the Gophers ever in their history had a period of hockey where they only got one shot on goal?! Wow!
            Not that I can remember. If some team did hold the Gophers to just 1 shot in a period before this game my guess is that it probably was the Badgers. The Badgers held the Gopher's shots down (under 20) in 4 of the 6 games this year including just 2 shots in the 2nd period of the first game in Madison and a total of just 15 for the entire game.

5 wins in 6 games with the Gophs this year is pretty remarkable, too.
            Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-11-2018, 01:30 AM. Reason: We'll be back with reinforcements next year.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
              Have the Gophers ever in their history had a period of hockey where they only got one shot on goal?! Wow!
              The answer is at least twice before. On 1/12/07 at Ridder the Buckeyes held the Gophers to 1 shot on goal in the 3rd period of their 7-1 shellacking of the home team. I had thought that if it had happened it probably was in the 2007 season.

And on 12/8/01 Team USA led the Gophers 68 to 8 (5-2-1) in shots on goal, but only won 6-0 as opposed to 16-0 on the previous day of infamy.
              Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-11-2018, 04:12 AM. Reason: It could be worse.

Comment

Lamoureux?

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  Not five siblings, but the Millers at Michigan State have had a nice run

LINK

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                    Lamoureux?
                    I know at least 3 (the twins & a goalie brother) but was there another? I admit to paying little attention to the mens game & less to UND so I think there was a 4th brother but am not sure. I remember dad playing for those who cannot be named.

Speaking of ancestors. Williamson's grandfather played at MN (with Herb) and her father played at the U also. There are several others who had a dad play for MN. I seem to remember players following dads to their ol alma mater around the league. Anyone want to contribute to a list here? (yes, I am trying to change the subject from yesterdays tutorial).

Comment

Some number things that make you go hmmm....

#10, as captain, had more penalties (16) than goals (9)...(as did a senior forward who was the 5th leading scorer and mentioned previously).

79 goals against for the season...

38 points for the leading scorer...

#9 as WCHA player of the year...No words for that...
                      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                        I know at least 3 (the twins & a goalie brother) but was there another? I admit to paying little attention to the mens game & less to UND so I think there was a 4th brother but am not sure. I remember dad playing for those who cannot be named.

Speaking of ancestors. Williamson's grandfather played at MN (with Herb) and her father played at the U also. There are several others who had a dad play for MN. I seem to remember players following dads to their ol alma mater around the league. Anyone want to contribute to a list here? (yes, I am trying to change the subject from yesterdays tutorial).
                        Six, I think. The twins, Mario, Jean-Philippe, Jacques and Pierre-Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                          Six, I think. The twins, Mario, Jean-Philippe, Jacques and Pierre-Paul.
                          Did some googling and all but Pierre-Paul did play D1 hockey, so 5 which ties the Reilly's.

Comment

Did some googling and all but Pierre-Paul did play D1 hockey, so 5 which ties the Reilly's.
                            So, I win the prize? :-)

Comment

I don't want to dwell on it, but this game reminded me of the 8-2 shellacking they took in Madison last season. We were never really in it and Wisconsin was in total control from the beginning.
                              I thought we came out of the box OK. I had some hope through the first few minutes, but once we made that silly turnover that led to the first goal I thought we turned into the team we were all season instead of the team that played last week.

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                              Some number things that make you go hmmm....

#10, as captain, had more penalties (16) than goals (9)...(as did a senior forward who was the 5th leading scorer and mentioned previously).

79 goals against for the season...

38 points for the leading scorer...

#9 as WCHA player of the year...No words for that...
                              Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                              The Williamson/Skarzynski/Agnew line was decent today. Emily Brown had a pretty good game; I'm not sure who should have been covering Roque on Wisconsin's second goal, but the whole team has been leaving opponents uncovered on the off wing for two months. And, despite giving up four goals, Sydney Peters played pretty well.

Beyond that, bleh. Reilly's penalty at the end was totally inappropriate, from a player that has often left me with the impression of having an attitude problem. Today was a sour end to a season that was a mild disappointment.

I feel pretty confident about next year, but they really need to work on their passing, both the decision making and the execution.
                              I thought Grace made a few appearances yesterday as well.

This year's successes in my eyes:
                              Taylor Williamson at end of the year
                              Freshmen
                              Sidney Peters

Another number for Frenzy's list:
                              ZERO for SOG in the third yesterday. I know it really was one but that one just dribbled in from around the blue line and barely made it to the goal

Totally agree with Eeyore about the passing.
                              And I'm in favor of covering our opponents in the defensive zone!

This season was kind of a bummer for me.
                              Except the Final Face-off was very, very fun....something for the players to hang their hat on....and I'm WAY glad they get to hang a banner!

Really hoping to see a return to form for GWH next year.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                                Really hoping to see a return to form for GWH next year.
                                There is a lot to look "forward" to. Somewhat concerned about swapping Ostertag for #9 from the aspect of experience. But hoping for the "less is more" thing from doing less gifting scoring opportunities to the other team. Wish they were bringing in one more defensemen besides Ostertag and Hengler.

It should be Gulstene's show at goaltender next year but I'm hoping for an overall better team approach to defense that brings down the number of goals against by quite a bit from this year.

Also, I know they can improve on the special teams numbers that they put up this year with the Power Play at 19.8% and the penalty kill at 85.4%.
                                Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 03-12-2018, 07:51 AM.
                                At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Working...
                                X