Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

Originally posted by Crimson Faced View Post
    A lot of the usual season ticket holders weren't there, I wonder if the basketball tournament takes away fans, although I don'tsee much overlap between theregulars at basketball and hockey.
    I still maintain that the Harvard plan for putting fans into the seats for these ECAC playoffs is just really poor. Unlike some other programs who incorporate playoffs into the season ticket plans, Bright-Landry just starts from scratch with an empty hall 12 (or 5) days prior. No season ticket holder has any obligation to buy (more) tickets to attend, nor any inside track to even their own seats, and the amount of general promotion that I can detect is slim to none. In years past we have gone down to the Whale for a Harvard-Yale playoff series, and there were scant few tickets available even the day after the playoff match-up was set - because season ticket holders. And yes the place was packed. Just look at the Bright-Landry seating charts right now for tonight. You can buy front row seats in virtually any section, and yes you can buy seats just inches (thought the glass) from Ted Donato. Sections 8 and 7 (where the band should be but apparently are not coming) are 100% available. 100%! It's an embarrassment surely, but not fully explains by lack of fan enthusiasm.
    https://tickets.gocrimson.com/Online/mapSelect.asp
    Last edited by Crimson on the Glass; 03-10-2018, 12:04 PM.

Comment

I witnessed one of the more bizarre incidents I've seen at a sporting event. There were a number of Dartmouth fans sitting behind the Harvard bench, one kept banging on the glass and jawing at Ted Donato. During the second period, while play was going on, Donato turned and for about a minute shouted back at the fan. He was extremely angry. If you lose control so that a fan takes away your concentration...well, I don't know what that says. The fan got tossed in the third period, after some fan started watching him and got security.

The team was lackluster like Skate said, although Dartmouth played very well and looks like the superior team. I expect they will make short work of it tonight.

A lot of the usual season ticket holders weren't there, I wonder if the basketball tournament takes away fans, although I don'tsee much overlap between theregulars at basketball and hockey.
      First of all, on behalf of hockey in general and especially BG fans, I would like to extend an apology...that should never happened to that degree is sports. Selfishly, I hope you are correct in your prediction! Regardless, good luck tonight as you and I know that was not your team last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson on the Glass View Post
        I still maintain that the Harvard plan for putting fans into the seats for these ECAC playoffs is just really poor. Unlike some other programs who incorporate playoffs into the season ticket plans, Bright-Landry just starts from scratch with an empty hall 12 (or 5) days prior. No season ticket holder has any obligation to buy (more) tickets to attend, nor any inside track to even their own seats, and the amount of general promotion that I can detect is slim to none. In years past we have gone down to the Whale for a Harvard-Yale playoff series, and there were scant few tickets available even the day after the playoff match-up was set - because season ticket holders. And yes the place was packed. Just look at the Bright-Landry seating charts right now for tonight. You can buy front row seats in virtually any section, and yes you can buy seats just inches (thought the glass) from Ted Donato. Sections 8 and 7 (where the band should be but apparently are not coming) are 100% available. 100%! It's an embarrassment surely, but not fully explains by lack of fan enthusiasm.
        https://tickets.gocrimson.com/Online/mapSelect.asp
        Funny thing is, I bought a few tickets from the Harvard Box Office online for the last Yale at Harvard playoff series up there. They made a point of religiously calling me before every Harvard home game the past couple of seasons to see if I needed tickets. Eventually I told them I was a Yale fan and to take me off the list, but they tried very hard to get my business, thats for sure. The post season process they have instituted is beyond bizarre, it would be interesting to know just how many season ticket holders there actually are for Harvard Hockey. My guess is that Yale is around the 2K mark or better, which makes things easier for the marketing folks. Maybe too many other things to spend the entertainment dollars on up there, are the other beanpot schools seeing a decline as well?
        YALE HOCKEY
        2013 National Champions

Comment

Attendance at all playoff games is low- all 4 hockey east games had 2400 or less
          In hockey east not included in season ticket package because all playoff ticket revenue goes to hockey east
          Assume ECAC has a similar plan
          tickets for hockey east games were $26
          Does having Harvard game on TV discourage fans from going especially with Friday night traffic in Boston area

Comment

Originally posted by Game0n View Post
            However you slice it, there's only one thing left to do - win every game or go home.
            Play like the season is on the line because it is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That was more like it!

Comment

• Originally posted by bothman View Post
                That was more like it!
                You bet. We came to play tonight. No quit at all. After the first few minutes, the team started moving their feet and fought like tigers along the boards. Passing was crisp and they got some great looks at Buffalo. Dartmouth stood around way too much and backed off the forecheck unlike last night.

Oh and a big “thank you” to #2 from Dartmouth. The kid has a burr under his saddle and is intent on riling up the Crimson on every shift. He doesn’t shut up.

Lineup changes tonight also made a difference. Krushko played like last year’s sensational freshman on Ryan Donato’s line. Bowlby returned with Badini and Zerter Gossage. I like the changes.

Saw Don Sweeney tonight and almost asked him not to take Ryan. Not that it would matter. He’ll just have to wait. Hopefully for another year!

Comment

Some additional thoughts after last game.

1. If we get by the Green today, we'll face either Clarkson or Colgate. Princeton took care of Union in two straight which was somewhat of a shocker. I don't have a preference for either the Knights or the Raiders. At this time of year, anything is possible. Cornell sure looks primed though to make a run.

2. The chippiness in this series is somewhat surprising. Maybe it has to do with something that happened up in Hanover the last time we played them. Had a chance to speak with Adam Fox's dad and he said it was no surprise to him. At this level, you expect that emotions will get dialed up especially for the playoffs.

3. Good to see three lines contributing to the win last night and the D playing a much better transition game. I expect Dartmouth to throw the kitchen sink at Harvard today with all out pressure. I'm still not comfortable with Madsen even though he mades some great saves last night. We need him to be razor sharp today.

4. Getting a lead is so important for Harvard. We don't play well coming from behind. I'm hoping the new line combos will remain in place. They looked great last night.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
                    First of all, on behalf of hockey in general and especially BG fans, I would like to extend an apology...that should never happened to that degree is sports. Selfishly, I hope you are correct in your prediction! Regardless, good luck tonight as you and I know that was not your team last night.
                    No need to apologize BG the guy was an outlier, there are many Dartmouth fans there, all well behaved. I was more perplexed by Donato's engaging him than what the fan was doing.

Good luck tonight.

Comment

No need to apologize BG the guy was an outlier, there are many Dartmouth fans there, all well behaved. I was more perplexed by Donato's engaging him than what the fan was doing.

Good luck tonight.

Comment

Agreed 100% BG fans are generally the best!

Comment

• Originally posted by DLG View Post
                          Attendance at all playoff games is low- all 4 hockey east games had 2400 or less
                          In hockey east not included in season ticket package because all playoff ticket revenue goes to hockey east
                          Assume ECAC has a similar plan
                          tickets for hockey east games were $26
                          Does having Harvard game on TV discourage fans from going especially with Friday night traffic in Boston area
                          Bright is not big but wow I hardly see anyone in the stands for a Sunday game #3. Looks like 200 people in the rink⛳️
                          NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Originally posted by BCeagle View Post
                            Bright is not big but wow I hardly see anyone in the stands for a Sunday game #3. Looks like 200 people in the rink⛳️
                            The students have gone home for spring break. The Crimson get a pretty good student turnout when classes are in session. But Harvard's fan base doesn't really compare to other schools. Common knowledge, I thought.

Comment

Congrats to the Crimson for punching their ticket to Lake Placid! They were by far the better team in games 2 & 3. Their best players were their best players! Good Luck! Go Ivies!

Comment

• Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
                                Congrats to the Crimson for punching their ticket to Lake Placid! They were by far the better team in games 2 & 3. Their best players were their best players! Good Luck! Go Ivies!
                                Thanks. You guys put up a good fight. Three Ivies to play next weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X