Female players by state versus college hockey options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Female players by state versus college hockey options

This is a quick view of hockey-playing girls & women by state, versus D1 programs within that state. I'm well aware that the rosters don't respect state or national boundaries. Nonetheless, I thought this would be interesting. Would be interesting to take a similar look at D3 programs by state.

First column = state
    Second column = Female USA Hockey registrants (all age groups)
    Third column = number of D1 Women's hockey programs in state
    Fourth column = D1 programs per 1000 female players
    Fifth column lists the schools.

MN 12,697 5 0.4 BSU, MSU, SCSU, UMD, UofM
    MA 9,564 5 0.5 BC, BU, Northeastern, Harvard, Holy Cross
    NY 5,477 8 1.5 Colgate, Cornell, SLU, Clarkson, RPI, Union, Syr., RIT
    MI 4,620 0 0.0
    WI 3,352 1 0.3 UW
    PA 2,715 3 1.1 Mercyhurst, RMU, PSU
    IL 2,543 0 0.0
    CT 2,482 4 1.2 Yale, Quinnipiac, Uconn, Sacred Heart
    CO 2,220 0 0.0
    AK 1,859 0 0.0
    CA 1,676 0 0.0
    VT 1,229 1 0.8 UVM
    NJ 1,194 1 0.8 Princeton
    ME 1,147 1 0.9 UMaine
    NH 1,142 2 1.8 Dartmouth, UNH
    ND 1,075 1 0.9 UND
    OH 1,065 1 0.9 OSU
    MD 933 0 0.0
    MT 873 0 0.0
    WA 814 0 0.0
    RI 796 2 2.5 PC, Brown
    FL 628 0 0.0
    VA 624 0 0.0
    ID 582 0 0.0
    MO 483 1 2.1 Lindenwood
    None of the remaining states have D1 programs.

Looking at the D1 programs per 1000 female players, MN, MA, and WI are relatively under-served compared to other states where D1 programs exist. But all have good D3 opportunities available.

MI & IL stick out. Several states have D1 programs, despite less female hockey participation.

Tougher case for CO, AK, and CA given both lower numbers and geographic isolation relative to the main hockey centers in the US.
    Last edited by AggiesHockey; 10-26-2012, 04:38 PM. Reason: boldfaced 2nd column to make it stand out; Added Holy Cross & Sacred Heart

Originally posted by AggiesHockey View Post
    This is a quick view of hockey-playing girls & women by state, versus D1 programs within that state. I'm well aware that the rosters don't respect state or national boundaries. Nonetheless, I thought this would be interesting. Would be interesting to take a similar look at D3 programs by state.

First column = state

MA 9,564 4 0.4 BC, BU, Northeastern, Harvard
    MI 4,620 0 0.0
    WI 3,352 1 0.3 UW
    IL 2,543 0 0.0
    CT 2,482 3 1.2 Yale, Quinnipiac, Uconn
    CO 2,220 0 0.0
    AK 1,859 0 0.0
    CA 1,676 0 0.0
    VT 1,229 1 0.8 UVM
    NJ 1,194 1 0.8 Princeton
    ME 1,147 1 0.9 UMaine
    ND 1,075 1 0.9 UND
    OH 1,065 1 0.9 OSU
    MD 933 0 0.0
    MT 873 0 0.0
    WA 814 0 0.0
    RI 796 2 2.5 PC, Brown
    FL 628 0 0.0
    VA 624 0 0.0
    ID 582 0 0.0
    MO 483 1 2.1 Lindenwood

Looking at the D1 programs per 1000 female players, MN, MA, and WI are relatively under-served compared to other states where D1 programs exist. But all have good D3 opportunities available.

MI & IL stick out. Several states have D1 programs, despite less female hockey participation.

Tougher case for CO, AK, and CA given both lower numbers and geographic isolation relative to the main hockey centers in the US.
    Mass. should show five D1 programs, as HOLY CROSS is technically considered D1.

Comment

Re: Female players by state versus college hockey options

Thanks. I couldn't remember if it was Holy Cross or Sacred Heart or neither... I'll update original post.

Comment

Thanks. I couldn't remember if it was Holy Cross or Sacred Heart or neither... I'll update original post.
        Sacred Heart is also D-I, officially (though they count toward Connecticut, not Massachusetts).

Powers &8^]

Comment

Updated OP.

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
            Sacred Heart is also D-I, officially (though they count toward Connecticut, not Massachusetts).

Powers &8^]
            Who knew that within 120 seconds of each other, I would read two comments on yours -- one on USCHO, and one on xkcd

I was SO CONFUSED. I saw your signature and had no idea which message board I was reading for like 2 seconds. I thought people were talking about hurricanes on USCHO or something. It's been that kind of week.
            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

These statistics don't translate into realistic College Hockey options for US players as there is well over 85k registered female players in Canada alone,
              a number of which are also headed to D1 schools

Comment

I think they translate fine. Nothing in Aggies' stats says that those players will get a scholarship or a roster spot, only that a hockey program within the state exists. And that would be the same even if there were a billion hockey players on the other side of the border waiting to descend.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  I think they translate fine. Nothing in Aggies' stats says that those players will get a scholarship or a roster spot, only that a hockey program within the state exists. And that would be the same even if there were a billion hockey players on the other side of the border waiting to descend.

ah yes..you are correct as usual..translates into nothing more than a bunch of numbers

Comment

Those numbers are a good start. How about how many scholarships are available each year? What state is receiving them? How many players from each state are rostered on a D1 and D3 team? That would be interesting #s.

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                      Those numbers are a good start. How about how many scholarships are available each year? What state is receiving them? How many players from each state are rostered on a D1 and D3 team? That would be interesting #s.
                      I have all the D1 recruit numbers from over the years (2005 onwards). Time permitting will post some of that later on this week.
                      Last edited by OnMAA; 10-29-2012, 09:25 AM.

Comment

This interests me from the standpoint of what kind of support there is for collegiate women's hockey given the participation level among girls + women within a state. Of course, once a program exists, they draw players from all over, and it's highly influenced by where the coaches come from. Some rosters are dominated by Canadians; some are dominated by in-state recruits; and some are quite mixed.

There's been discussion (another thread) about Michigan or Michigan State possibly adding a D1 program. By the numbers, you could make a strong case for it. One state I hadn't thought of in D1 women's hockey terms was Illinois. But I think you could make a case for them too. Lot of hockey players in Chicago-land. There are 9 states that have less female hockey participation than Illinois, but which have D1 programs (in fact, 13 programs spread among these 9 states). So 4 Big Ten universities have programs now. Michigan could add 1 or 2. And why not Illinois? My pick would be Northwestern, rather than U of Illinois, because Northwestern is in the hockey part of Illinois, whereas U of Illinois is in corn.

If someone can post a list of D3 programs by state, I'd run those numbers too.

Call It: Hux does a great job tallying each year's recruiting classes by country and state/province. Here's this year's freshmen class, from the D1 Commitments 2012-2013 thread (May 2012, Hux):
                        U.S. 107: Minnesota 27; New York 13; Massachusetts 9; Michigan 8; Illinois 7; California 6; Texas 5; Alaska, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania 4 each; Colorado, and Wisconsin 3 each; Connecticut, Missouri, Ohio and Rhode Island 2 each; Arizona, Delaware, Florida, Iowa, Maryland, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Virginia, and Washington 1 each

Canada 79: Ontario 48; Manitoba 9; Alberta 6; British Columbia 5; Nova Scotia, Quebec, and Saskatchewan 3 each; New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island 1 each

Germany: 1

Sweden: 1

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                          I have all the D1 recruit numbers from over the years (2005 onwards). Time permitting will post some of that.
                          That would be cool.

Comment

Interesting stats however I believe the Minnesota numbers are on the low side because it only counts girls that are registered with USA hockey. Its probably a few thousand low since High School players don't typically register with USA hockey unless they are playing in the Elite League or participate in other USA Hockey sponsored events such as the National Camp tryouts. I think there are around 200 High school teams and many of them have JV teams too. Also, I know of a few associations that do not register their mites with USA hockey either. I don't know if this affects some of the other states too so I don't know if it merits an adjustment but I thought I would just point it out that there are a lot more girls playing hockey in Minnesota than what is listed.

First column = state

MA 9,564 5 0.5 BC, BU, Northeastern, Harvard, Holy Cross
                            MI 4,620 0 0.0
                            WI 3,352 1 0.3 UW
                            IL 2,543 0 0.0
                            CT 2,482 4 1.2 Yale, Quinnipiac, Uconn, Sacred Heart
                            CO 2,220 0 0.0
                            AK 1,859 0 0.0
                            CA 1,676 0 0.0
                            VT 1,229 1 0.8 UVM
                            NJ 1,194 1 0.8 Princeton
                            ME 1,147 1 0.9 UMaine
                            ND 1,075 1 0.9 UND
                            OH 1,065 1 0.9 OSU
                            MD 933 0 0.0
                            MT 873 0 0.0
                            WA 814 0 0.0
                            RI 796 2 2.5 PC, Brown
                            FL 628 0 0.0
                            VA 624 0 0.0
                            ID 582 0 0.0
                            MO 483 1 2.1 Lindenwood

Last edited by SlewFoot; 10-29-2012, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                              I have all the D1 recruit numbers from over the years (2005 onwards). Time permitting will post some of that later on this week.
                              Here are the ready to post numbers...Breakdown by Province and State to follow later in the week.

Post 1: Breakdown by Country.
                              ================================================== ==============

05-06*D1 Recruit Class* Totals:*211...129 USA (61%)*,**79 CAN (37%) ,*3 Int*( 1.5%)
                              36 from*Ontario accounts for 46% of the Canadians

06-07 D1 Recruit Class* Totals:*201...128 USA (64%)*,* 62 CAN (31%) , 9 Int*( 5%)
                              29 from*Ontario accounts for 47% of the Canadians

07-08 D1 Recruit Class* Totals: 164....95 USA (58%),* 65 CAN (40%), 4 Int (2%)**
                              29 from Ontario accounts for 44% of the Canadians

08-09 D1 Recruit Class* Totals:*208...119 USA (57%),* 83 CAN (40%) , 6 INt (3%)**
                              38 from Ontario accounts for 43% of the Canadians

09-10 D1 Recruit Class* Totals:*214....120 USA (56%),* 87 CAN (40%) , 7 INT (3%)**
                              52 from Ontario accounts for 59% of the Canadians

10-11 D1 Recruit Class* Totals:*209... 115 USA (55%), 90 CAN (43%) , 4 INt (2%)**
                              57 from Ontario accounts for 63% of the Canadians

11-12 D1 Recruit Class* Totals:*220... 132 USA (60%), 75 CAN (34%) , 13 INt (6%)**
                              37 from Ontario accounts for 49% of the Canadians

12-13 D1 Recruit Class* Totals:232... 134 USA (58%), 88 CAN (38%) , 10 Int (4%);**
                              51 from Ontario accounts for 58% of the Canadians

Comment

Working...
                              X