X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017-2018 Season - The Quest Continues

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    Weird that Coach Umile's greatest professional accomplishments, that of the lifetime contract, becoming the de facto Athletic Director, didn't make the poster.

With all the countdowns and the quest, I suddenly realized that we are literally five weeks (perhaps six), from finally no longer having him directly in charge of the program.
    ... and probably five years (perhaps six) from digging this program out of its current doldrums.

I want to be excited about the upcoming change(s), but observations and results during this "sneak peak" three year transition period haven't exactly filled me with optimism.

If Souza does indeed turn out to be "the goods", I'll be the first to credit Umile (and BS35+10 by then) for their masterstroke of genius. If the Souza doesn't deliver, both those guys should run for cover, it's gonna get ugly ... and I mean, senior first/checking line ugly ...
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      ... and probably five years (perhaps six) from digging this program out of its current doldrums.

I want to be excited about the upcoming change(s), but observations and results during this "sneak peak" three year transition period haven't exactly filled me with optimism.

If Souza does indeed turn out to be "the goods", I'll be the first to credit Umile (and BS35+10 by then) for their masterstroke of genius. If the Souza doesn't deliver, both those guys should run for cover, it's gonna get ugly ... and I mean, senior first/checking line ugly ...
      How long are you willing to give Souza to "deliver the goods" and what "goods" do you expect to be delivered? it's said when a new coach comes in it might take up to 3 years to 'erase' what the former coach created, good, bad, or ugly. Not sure if that's a tangible statistic but that's what I have heard. This situation (the 3 year plan) I will agree was not the way they should have gone. But I am willing to give MS 3 years as far as what it's going to take for him to create a team that can win games, get back to the NCAA's.

Anyway...I've been hearing all week that this is a 'must win' weekend. You bet it is. Ooops gotta run so I can be one of the 1000 fans to get that poster!!!! Go 'Cats!!
      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        How long are you willing to give Souza to "deliver the goods" and what "goods" do you expect to be delivered? it's said when a new coach comes in it might take up to 3 years to 'erase' what the former coach created, good, bad, or ugly. Not sure if that's a tangible statistic but that's what I have heard. This situation (the 3 year plan) I will agree was not the way they should have gone. But I am willing to give MS 3 years as far as what it's going to take for him to create a team that can win games, get back to the NCAA's.

Anyway...I've been hearing all week that this is a 'must win' weekend. You bet it is. Ooops gotta run so I can be one of the 1000 fans to get that poster!!!! Go 'Cats!!
        New coaches are given grace periods due to recruiting needs and getting their own players into the program. Souza has had his three years to build his own roster. Period. 50% of next year's roster will be Souza recruits. The fact that it's only 50% is an indictment of Souza's recruiting to be quite honest. The current state of the program has been created just as much by Souza as anyone else.

He should NOT get the full grace period - he's already had three years a top the program in the ways that truly matter. If he's not showing NOTABLE improvement in year two he should be out - that would be five years in charge of building UNH. If things look unreasonably bad during year one a change should be considered. His process is already long since underway. Pretending otherwise is to bury your head in the sand...

The idea that his recruiting has been hindered by Umile - as he pursues guys who will never play for Umile - is laughable. The idea that he will suddenly move to the middle of the bench and turn these guys into All-Americans is a very difficult sell. As if he's been totally hand-cuffed in doing any coaching or building culture the last three years. This is not some random appointment - he's been the lead recruiter and head coach in waiting for three years. His fingerprints are all over UNH hockey already and he bears a lot, if not the majority, of the programs current lot in life

The fact that one cannot look ahead and see a clear vision for what Souza at UNH might look like is a problem (or maybe we can). If he's thinking I can't start to build until I'm in the big chair and that's when my clock starts - than you know what - he's the wrong guy...

---

I'd put the odds at him being the guy to bring UNH back to the top of HE at 25%. The reality is that if he hovers around .500 and keeps his nose clean he probably coaches for the next 20 years. Or at least until Scarano is gone, too (because Marty holds no one accountable)...
        Last edited by Dan; 01-26-2018, 02:16 PM.
        Live Free or Die!!
        Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
          New coaches are given grace periods due to recruiting needs and getting their own players into the program. Souza has had his three years to build his own roster. Period. 50% of next year's roster will be Souza recruits. The fact that it's only 50% is an indictment of Souza's recruiting to be quite honest. The current state of the program has been created just as much by Souza as anyone else.

He should NOT get the full grace period - he's already had three years a top the program in the ways that truly matter. If he's not showing NOTABLE improvement in year two he should be out - that would be five years in charge of building UNH. If things look unreasonably bad during year one a change should be considered. His process is already long since underway. Pretending otherwise is to bury your head in the sand...

The idea that his recruiting has been hindered by Umile - as he pursues guys who will never play for Umile - is laughable. The idea that he will suddenly move to the middle of the bench and turn these guys into All-Americans is a very difficult sell. As if he's been totally hand-cuffed in doing any coaching or building culture the last three years. This is not some random appointment - he's been the lead recruiter and head coach in waiting for three years. His fingerprints are all over UNH hockey already and he bears a lot, if not the majority, of the programs current lot in life

The fact that one cannot look ahead and see a clear vision for what Souza at UNH might look like is a problem (or maybe we can). If he's thinking I can't start to build until I'm in the big chair and that's when my clock starts - than you know what - he's the wrong guy...

---

I'd put the odds at him being the guy to bring UNH back to the top of HE at 25%. The reality is that if he hovers around .500 and keeps his nose clean he probably coaches for the next 20 years. Or at least until Scarano is gone, too (because Marty holds no one accountable)...
          You make a lot of valid points. While I come off as a "homer" I like to think I can be pragmatic. I'm not making excuses for MS for what he's done or has not done the past three years but I'm also not aware of what really goes on.

Of course I realize his hands are not tied and would think he has had free reign to bring in his team. I don't know why the next Jack Eichel hasnt shown up at his door yet....but that doesn't mean he isn't coming. As Sonar likes to say...what do I know about these things anyway. But trust me...I too am anxious for a change in things.

Comment

TvR sighting at Libby's...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
              You make a lot of valid points. While I come off as a "homer" I like to think I can be pragmatic. I'm not making excuses for MS for what he's done or has not done the past three years but I'm also not aware of what really goes on.

Of course I realize his hands are not tied and would think he has had free reign to bring in his team. I don't know why the next Jack Eichel hasnt shown up at his door yet....but that doesn't mean he isn't coming. As Sonar likes to say...what do I know about these things anyway. But trust me...I too am anxious for a change in things.
              My last post - and this one - were not directed at you specifically. Just my thoughts based on what you brought up...

Its not about recruiting the next Eichel or chasing one-and-dones - recruiting high-end talent isn't about competing for the absolute elite kids. Conversations about UNH recruiting high-end talent always devolve into how do you get the Eichels of the world or BU isn't always great with their loaded classes. That's not what this is about. its about going out and landing high-end kids who will put up 100 point careers and/or be in competition for All-HE awards when all is said and done. UNH used to have loads of that type of players on their roster. They've proven they can land that type of recruit - both then and now. AP, TK, MG, BM, KG, GD, etc were all this type of player. They just can't seem to land enough at once anymore, and that needs to change. That points to a lack of aggressive recruiting and poor evaluation. That's what needs to change and I'm not sure Souza has it in him - he's never shown it at UNH or elsewhere - and its not easy to learn in the middle of your career...

The last great UNH team was the 2006-07 group, which consisted of the following 'high-end' recruits: Fornataro, Radja, JVR, Pollastrone, Dries, Butler, Flaishans, Switzer, LeBlanc, DeSimone, Thompson, Charlebois, Sislo, Regan and Foster. That's 15 guys. JVR is the only Eichel in the group. The only guy who BU/BC would have desperately wanted to land in recruiting. Compare that roster/recruiting to the past few years and I think we can see what the problem really is. It has nothing to do with whether or not they land Jack Hughes - and everything to do with the fact that they're bringing in very few guys capable of making any kind of real impact...
              Last edited by Dan; 01-26-2018, 05:01 PM.
              Live Free or Die!!
              Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                TvR sighting at Libby's...
                Did JvR make the NHL all-star team this weekend?

Keep an eye on Letunov tonight.

Need to break Yukon's four-game win streak against the Cats; I would even settle for two more ties this weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                  My last post - and this one - were not directed at you specifically. Just my thoughts based on what you brought up...

Its not about recruiting the next Eichel or chasing one-and-dones - recruiting high-end talent isn't about competing for the absolute elite kids. Conversations about UNH recruiting high-end talent always devolve into how do you get the Eichels of the world or BU isn't always great with their loaded classes. That's not what this is about. its about going out and landing high-end kids who will put up 100 point careers and/or be in competition for All-HE awards when all is said and done. UNH used to have loads of that type of players on their roster. They've proven they can land that type of recruit - both then and now. AP, TK, MG, BM, KG, GD, etc were all this type of player. They just can't seem to land enough at once anymore, and that needs to change. That points to a lack of aggressive recruiting and poor evaluation. That's what needs to change and I'm not sure Souza has it in him - he's never shown it at UNH or elsewhere - and its not easy to learn in the middle of your career...

The last great UNH team was the 2006-07 group, which consisted of the following 'high-end' recruits: Fornataro, Radja, JVR, Pollastrone, Dries, Butler, Flaishans, Switzer, LeBlanc, DeSimone, Thompson, Charlebois, Sislo, Regan and Foster. That's 15 guys. JVR is the only Eichel in the group. The only guy who BU/BC would have desperately wanted to land in recruiting. Compare that roster/recruiting to the past few years and I think we can see what the problem really is. It has nothing to do with whether or not they land Jack Hughes - and everything to do with the fact that they're bringing in very few guys capable of making any kind of real impact...
                  Wasn't that 07-08?
                  Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

How much do the coaches love Fregona? Healthy scratch while Dawson plays forward. 😱
                    Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                      Wasn't that 07-08?
                      Yes it was, you're correct. They lost FIVE players (Smith, Mickflikier, Hemingway, Murray and Ciocco) from the 06-07 roster and still turned out that 07-08 group. They haven't had three forwards like Smith, Mickflikier and Hemingway at once in years, let alone the ability to replace them without missing a beat. That sort of high end depth is what's been missing - one group dominates while the next group grows...

---

Tonight the five Wildcats on the ice for UConn's first goal were Cefalu, Sato, Dawson, Boyd and Chanter. Umm...

It's. All. About. Recruiting.
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                        How much do the coaches love Fregona? Healthy scratch while Dawson plays forward. 😱
                        He's gotta be considering exit strategies as a possibility - at least in the back of his mind. Did Foegele not warn him? Can probably cross St Andrews off as a recruiting ground going forward...
                        Live Free or Die!!
                        Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                          Did JvR make the NHL all-star team this weekend?

Keep an eye on Letunov tonight.

Need to break Yukon's four-game win streak against the Cats; I would even settle for two more ties this weekend.
                          Oops, I forgot to say also to keep an eye on Masonius.

And, I forgot to add my latest trivia quiz: What do the last eight games between Yukon and UNH have in common (Yukon has won the last four, UNH the previous four)?

Comment

My oh my a lead...Can we keep it? Lots of great chances in that period. Go 'Cats!!

Comment

Where the he11 is "West Meadows Ice Arena"??????

http://www.uscho.com/recaps/2018/01/...w-hampshire-3/
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Unbelievable

Comment

Working...
                                X