Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: REPORT: North Dakota cutting women's hockey

Originally posted by Reggie44 View Post
    Not usually how you want to operate though. At OSU some players that were told they wouldn't be playing had the option to finish school with their scholarship level.
    Yes, Potter decisions. As mentioned earlier, Big 10 has 4 year scholarships. If a coach cuts a player they still lose the scholarship for the remainder of the contract. That particular player above is finishing her degree on a full ride and not playing hockey. Not a bad gig.

I expect the best options for UND players is to look at some of the struggling programs and transfer there. Those programs may not have commitments for the next 3-4 years like the top schools have.

Comment

Originally posted by crutch View Post
      Yes, Potter decisions. As mentioned earlier, Big 10 has 4 year scholarships. If a coach cuts a player they still lose the scholarship for the remainder of the contract. That particular player above is finishing her degree on a full ride and not playing hockey. Not a bad gig.

I expect the best options for UND players is to look at some of the struggling programs and transfer there. Those programs may not have commitments for the next 3-4 years like the top schools have.
      it depends on what UND meant by honoring their scholarships. If it's for more than 1 year, many players would be better off just to give up hockey, and get their degree at UND. Other than the Olympic players, it's not like they are giving up the NHL.
      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
      Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by dd17 View Post
        Have you seen how far UND is from other programs? Travel is $$. I heard OSU has a $500k travel budget so I could not guess what the travel costs would be like at UND. This isnt a team in Boston with a lot of close schools.
        I remember when Wisconsin cut baseball back in the 90s b/c the athletic dept was in deep trouble. Now that things have turned around in Madison they could afford to bring it back. Alvarez is asked about it regularly, but there are no plans. Once something is cut it's probably hard to reinstate without a deep pocketed donor willing to step up. We're probably looking at the end of women's hockey in ND. If Holy Cross is going D1 next year maybe some of those players could head east?

Comment

I agree this is extremely bad day for women's hockey. All the millions USA hockey women were fighting for the "future" girls in hockey could be a moot point if there is no future. Our dollars need to go to the youth, teens and collages because girls/womens hockey has no income at the ticket level, sponsorship level, tv level or any other source. No entity is going to lose money for long, it's just not the way the world works. I could not be prouder of the USA women for fighting for their equality and to watch them stand together was not only just but pretty fricken ballsy and a great day for women. I will warn the girls community, when one pockets full and the other is empty, those eating out of the empty pocket will soon starve.

On a side note, the visiting men's team at UND will have the nicest locker rooms in the world!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
            I wonder how many of the scholarship players who can't find their way onto a team for next year might stay the year at NoDak under schollie, red shirt, and find their way onto a team with some space in the following year's class? They could probably get a year of grad school paid for that way.

That's trying to polish a turd, I know, but it's something.
            The other option for some would be to transfer to a school with an open 2018-2019 scholarship and basically take a pay-you-own-way/walk-on/redshirt year in order to get in the door for the following years. Certainly not ideal, but an option.
            "You can call me Pete, hockey isn't part of my given name."

Comment

Originally posted by wpiguy View Post
              I bet they could pull off a D1 program for 250K annually and possibly pull in a bunch of full pay out of state kids who want to be on the same sheet of ice as Minnesota and Ohio State.
              I would love to see this budget! Equipment, sticks, equipment manager, facility personnel, strength coach, academic advisors, athletic department coordinator, employee benefits, ice time, food, hotel and travel budget for away games, recruiting expenses.

Give it a shot.

Comment

I don't think they could have handled this any worse.

UND commit flies into Grand Forks from Boston, finds out hockey program is getting cut
                http://www.grandforksherald.com/spor...am-getting-cut
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  I don't think they could have handled this any worse.

UND commit flies into Grand Forks from Boston, finds out hockey program is getting cut
                  http://www.grandforksherald.com/spor...am-getting-cut
                  I wonder if the school chose to cut hockey because it is so high profile that they expected a backlash. They can then turn around and say: find sponsors that will support the program and we'll bring it back......

Comment

Of course a Trumpster would drag politics into a sad situation that was handled poorly.

And if you are so concerned about finances, how about FLYING A FREAKING RECRUIT INTO GRAND FORKS FROM BOSTON
                    "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Comment

• Re: REPORT: North Dakota cutting women's hockey

Originally posted by arafel View Post
                      a sad situation
                      MOURNING. Dressed in black today.

Comment

Interesting read...

http://www.sayanythingblog.com/entry...-million-2016/

It is also interesting to consider this...Could it have been helpful to the women's program if UND supporters had put as much time, effort, and money into the women's program as they did the nickname issue?
                        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                          I wonder if the school chose to cut hockey because it is so high profile that they expected a backlash. They can then turn around and say: find sponsors that will support the program and we'll bring it back......
                          My guess is this, and it's simply a guess. That based upon the cost per athlete, women's hockey was considerably higher than something like women's swimming or track. It might cost the University $1.5 million to run the women's hockey program, and maybe the same amount for women's track, but 100 kids participate in track/cross country but only 25 in women's hockey. The University gets more bang (i.e., more women's scholarships or spots) for the same amount of money. Just my hunch.

Here's the other thing that people don't remember. 15 years ago when the program was started, there was a fair amount of controversy within the University system, hockey community and Grand Forks itself about starting that program. A lot of people, including hockey people, warned that this was going to be a very expensive proposition and a black hole of money for the University. The argument was made that the money could be better spent giving more women better opportunities to participate in women's sports at the school than trying to start and operate a hockey program.

Does Michigan have a women's hockey program? Does Michigan St. or Penn St.? Where is the outrage directed at these schools? These are huge institutions making millions from their football and basketball programs. At least North Dakota gave it a shot.

I'm not happy UND cut hockey, because I'm a hockey fan. But if nothing else I'll give the University credit for making a hard choice, rather than trying to limp along, providing minimal support and harming the rest of the athletic department or University.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post

It is also interesting to consider this...Could it have been helpful to the women's program if UND supporters had put as much time, effort, and money into the women's program as they did the nickname issue?
                            That's a pretty good line. I think if you tweet it, right now, you have a chance to be the 167th person to have done so.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by EastFan1 View Post
                              I would love to see this budget! Equipment, sticks, equipment manager, facility personnel, strength coach, academic advisors, athletic department coordinator, employee benefits, ice time, food, hotel and travel budget for away games, recruiting expenses.

Give it a shot.
                              Another thing to consider... At Minnesota (maybe other schools) the cost of the scholarship has to be funded by the athletic department as well. Don't know UND costs for a year, but I imagine room and board to be $20K yr.? If so, you need $360K just to fund the schooling. I doubt you could fund a basketball team for $250K a year - unless they all drive their own scooters to away games...

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                                Does Michigan have a women's hockey program? Does Michigan St. or Penn St.? Where is the outrage directed at these schools? These are huge institutions making millions from their football and basketball programs. At least North Dakota gave it a shot.
                                Penn State has a women's program.
                                If you ever visited the women's forum you would see there is outrage directed at Michigan for being a "hockey state" and having no women's D1 programs.
                                Thanks for visiting the women's forum now, see you back again soon after this blows over, I'm sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X