X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SCOTUS 10: Pack the Court!

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    Works for me. If people feel that there was no difference between the parties over the last 3 elections I feel no responsibility to do anything for them. 50 years ago blacks were beaten and blasted with fire hoses while trying to win the right to register and vote freely. That's the ultimate "jumping through hoops" to exercise your constitutional right. The GOP has been open, transparent, and surprisingly honest about exactly what they're up to here. The funny thing is the people on the losing end have basically sat on the sidelines and watched it all unfold before their eyes, yet still don't feel the need to do anything about it.
    Dinesh D'Souza vehemently disagrees with you. As he lays out in his new book

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076ZP16X7...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

the left is at fault for all of it.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

So I'll ask again, if people keep taking it the shorts for sitting out the 2016 election, I'm supposed to be upset.....why, again? I mean, its not like you couldn't have seen this coming from outer space or anything.
      If Taco Bell can't sell their Sh-t Chalupa they take it off the menu. They don't whine for years afterwards how their customers failed them.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

You dont allow for people to lose their rights to prove a point.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

So I'll ask again, if people keep taking it the shorts for sitting out the 2016 election, I'm supposed to be upset.....why, again? I mean, its not like you couldn't have seen this coming from outer space or anything.
          Because these things make it harder for our side to win otherwise the republicans wouldn’t be doing it.

If there was ever evidence that some people care far more about their team losing than the actual bad things the republicans are doing this is it.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            Dinesh D'Souza vehemently disagrees with you. As he lays out in his new book

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076ZP16X7...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

the left is at fault for all of it.
            That's convicted felon Dinesh D'Souza.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
              That's convicted felon Dinesh D'Souza.
              Trump erased all that. It's gone. Poof.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                You dont allow for people to lose their rights to prove a point.
                Okay, I've had my conservative leanings in the past, but feel like I've redeemed myself more lately (last 10 years or so).

Still, I just can't get excited about all this "taking away of rights." With rights come responsibilities, right? Why shouldn't voters have the responsibility to keep the rolls updated every 5-10 years? It hardly seems that burdensome to me. If someone does inadvertently get dropped, it's not like they're convicted felons who will not be allowed to re-register. I assume all the normal voter registration channels are open to them - nobody is having their "rights" taken away.
                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                  Okay, I've had my conservative leanings in the past, but feel like I've redeemed myself more lately (last 10 years or so).

Still, I just can't get excited about all this "taking away of rights." With rights come responsibilities, right? Why shouldn't voters have the responsibility to keep the rolls updated every 5-10 years? It hardly seems that burdensome to me. If someone does inadvertently get dropped, it's not like they're convicted felons who will not be allowed to re-register. I assume all the normal voter registration channels are open to them - nobody is having their "rights" taken away.
                  The problem is people won't learn they aren't on the roles til they show up on election day and can't vote. If you're in a state with same day registration, no problem. But most states don't have that.

And it's not like we take your right to free speech away if you don't petition the government for X # of years.

Comment

I'd like to see the benefit-detriment analysis, along with some reliable data.

Comment

So if I dont use my right to assemble they can take that from me too?
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        A problem for the parties that the choices suck, perhaps.

Declining to vote is a choice just as much as voting is, as can be seen in the last election. Now you don't have the choice, apparently.
                        if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          So if I dont use my right to assemble they can take that from me too?
                          Just stop. No one’s right to vote has been taken away. That’s like saying that an 18 year old, or someone who moves, or someone who changes their name has had their right taken from them. It’s still there.

It’s illogical to think states have to keep you on the registration rolls in perpetuity, so all we are really debating is how long should they wait.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                            Just stop. No one’s right to vote has been taken away.
                            If they don't know they were unregistered and show up and can't vote then yes, that's exactly what happened.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                              If they don't know they were unregistered and show up and can't vote then yes, that's exactly what happened.
                              Logic has no business here.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                                Just stop. No one’s right to vote has been taken away. That’s like saying that an 18 year old, or someone who moves, or someone who changes their name has had their right taken from them. It’s still there.

It’s illogical to think states have to keep you on the registration rolls in perpetuity, so all we are really debating is how long should they wait.
                                How is it logical to take someone's registration away?

Why is it a requirement to vote just to be able to vote in the next election without re-registering?

How do you know that the lack of voting wasn't a problem with the polling stations? How can you be 100% sure that the problem is due to the voter and not something else?

WHY IS THE CORE ASSUMPTION THAT THE VOTER IS IN THE WRONG? Voting IS our right.

And since we can put some pretty drastic rules onto the 15th Amendment like that, why can't we do the same to the 2nd?????

Comment

Working...
                                X