Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Evaluating Frozen Four host Tampa Bay

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    Unfortunately, you can lead a horse to water but you can't force it to drink.
    I think the argument is that it's more likely to drink if offered a single malt than if offered a dirty glass of mad dog.
    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
      Not everyone likes tattoos...
      Woke up with a brand new tattoo? No clue where it came from? IIRC, that guy's based in Key West.

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
      I think the argument is that it's more likely to drink if offered a single malt than if offered a dirty glass of mad dog.
      Tampa Bay has its Mad Dog neighborhoods. We drove through one on our way to the Rays game. With even nominal effort, you can find the beverage of your choice in any of the Frozen Four cities.
      Last edited by pgb-ohio; 04-11-2012, 12:11 PM.

Comment

How do ticket sales and profit compare between Tampa and past venues? Money talks . . .
        An even more consequential number for the future of college hockey is a comparison between the FF income from the venue and income from the media, and who gets how much of this income. Will these numbers be publicized?

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
          The right to be wrong? I'll waive the right. If I missed my guess, so be it.

As for the rest, I'm sorry Columbus didn't work out for you. But with just a little bit of legwork, there's a good four day weekend to be had at ANY of the past Frozen Four cities. In advance of the 2005 Tournament, an OSU Poster put up a detailed Visitors' Guide. There were suggestions for all ages and tastes. It made things very easy for anyone willing to give us a fair chance. Unfortunately, you can lead a horse to water but you can't force it to drink.
          Thanks for the props, pgb-ohio, that visitor's guide was posted by me.

But you're spot-on that you are what you make of a visit anywhere. If you've got access to tripadvisor, urbanspoon, a travel guide, or heck, take a trip to a library and head to they're travel section, you oughta find something to do that you'll enjoy.

But I digress.

As for Tampa. We loved it. We (the alewife, her brother, their niece and I) turned it into a weeklong vacation. We rented a house on a bay, found some good local restaurants, took a brewery tour, blah blah blah. People were friendly and accommodating, some (not all) noticed our hockey apparel and made obvious comments like "are you here for the hockey tournament?" The weather was great. What's not to like?

Personally, I think every once in awhile the NC$$ should choose a "non-traditional" locale. It shakes things up a little. And, for those with a travel curiosity, it offers variety and exploration. Just as long as it's not held on a football field or baseball diamond.

The objections I have are petty. The beers outside the arena were mortgage-priced (so much so that even my brother-in-law wouldn't buy one ). There was the typical innocuous onscreen commentary during TV timeouts. But the biggest pet peeve I had was the coverage of the game on the jumbotron. Our seats (lower level, about seven rows up, to the right of the penalty box) demanded that play to our left be watched on the screen above. For some reason, the arena thought it would be a cool idea to edit the view every now and then to a different (read: worse) angle. Bonehead.

Still, all in all, I thought it was a great venue. We had a great time. We had no problems getting into (or out of) the arena. And being able to buy your souvenirs outside (and take them back to the car beforehand) was even better. Good job, Tampa!

Comment

Originally posted by Brewmaster View Post
            Thanks for the props, pgb-ohio, that visitor's guide was posted by me.
            Sorry for the inadequate citation. Of course that was your work, and you did a great job.

The context was that our community stood accused of being inadequate hosts, and my point was that our community had reached out. In other words, my focus was at the aggregate level. But I definitely should have included your screen name. Credit where credit is due!

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
              Since BC won, I'm glad part of your trip had a happy ending!
              the girls were flabbergasted that i didn't want to buy sex off them. why is it so hard to believe i am happy with a shower and a massage.

if i liked sex, i wouldn't be married!!
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Didn't read the whole thread, so I may be repeating others opinions. This was my 17th Frozen Four. Initially, I wasn't sure how Tampa would do as host, after being very unimpressed with previous non-traditionals like Anaheim - but it was fantastic. The weather was obviously a huge bonus, but what impressed me the most was that everywhere you went in the city - they knew the FF was there. It was a big deal. There were signs EVERYWHERE. The area around the rink was great, the atmosphere was great, there were tons of places to go, and our hotel was fantastic. I cannot imagine anyone was bored in Tampa, at any time - families or beverage enthusiasts. I'm hoping it returns soon.
                Last edited by jen; 04-12-2012, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                  the girls were flabbergasted that i didn't want to buy sex off them. why is it so hard to believe i am happy with a shower and a massage.

if i liked sex, i wouldn't be married!!
                  So you're saying you don't like sex.

Originally posted by jen View Post
                  Didn't read the whole thread, so I may be repeating others opinions. This was my 17th Frozen Four. Initially, I wasn't sure how Tampa would do as host, after being very unimpressed with previous non-traditionals like Anaheim - but it was fantastic. The weather was obviously a huge bonus, but what impressed me the most was that everywhere you went in the city - they knew the FF was there. It was a big deal. There were signs EVERYWHERE. The area around the rink was great, the atmosphere was great, there were tons of places to go, and our hotel was fantastic. I cannot imagine anyone was bored in Tampa, at any time - families or beverage enthusiasts. I'm hoping it returns soon.
                  If anyone was bored in Tampa they need to just stay home!
                  Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                    So you're saying you don't like sex.
                    That's why his handicap is so low!
                    Originally posted by mookie1995
                    bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                    Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                    Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                      That would be more than fine with me. Make the FF like a football Bowl game and have it where the fans can be rewarded for driving in the snow and cold to games every night. Replace Anaheim with New Orleans and you got a deal.
                      +1

If the NC$$ becomes convinced that it can make more $$$ by promoting the FF as another version of a football bowl game, it will happen. If not, back to Columbus-Milwaukee-Boston-Denver-Philly-Pitts and points north.
                      "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                        That's why his handicap is so low!
                        oh, i'm handicapped all right!
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                        X