Christ is Risen!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Christ is Risen!

I'd like to subscribe to Foxton's newsletter.
    St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Originally posted by Foxton View Post
      Alright Fischer. I'm pretty sure I would rank everyone above your god in the compassion compartment if eternal torment is one of two options that you lay out. Hopefully those poor people who haven't heard the good news will get a pardon.
      Why is it that everyone sees diversity in their own groups (liberals, conservatives, etc) but paints other groups with a broad brush? There are extremists in every segment and group...not least athiests.

Where else would we go? Source - The catholic encyclopedia who "exerted its beneficent influence; the same spirit of charity appears wherever the Christian Faith is spread among the fierce and uncultured peoples just emerging from barbarism." And it's so fantastic that things that happened nearly two thousand years ago, negates how today's opulence of various denominations isn't rather hypocritical. Nevermind that the power of religion at that time was absolute and no one else could have possibly created anyplace to provide even the most basic of medical care, if places run by people who make Mother Theresa look like a physician can be considered hospitals. They did their best to work with faith based cures and maybe some based on barbarian methods, which they then proceeded to stamp out on their way to the dark ages. Which I'm sure next you'll say weren't kind of a horrible era to live in. It's not really until the black death that the masses stopped trying to pray away demons to cure disease when it decimated Europe. Remind me again what they did at that council? Was it, by vote, decide what fit their idea of doctrine and what didn't? Funny way of deciding divine truth. Funny how they didn't keep up with the times. They had such a great head start, what with the money and the owning/running most of them. Well that's amazing!
      I see nothing here that refutes the fact that Christianity and heath care have had and still have a strong interrelationship, including:

Massive increase in health care during the Roman Era coming from Christianity
      Medieval health care largely conducted by Christians
      Is the top conduit of charitable contributions to health care today
      Still maintains a substantial amount of health care facilities in one of the world's most complex and challenging fields

We haven't even touched on the fact that Christians founded or Christianity is the basis of 7 of the US' top 10 charitable organizations, including the top 3: United Way, Salvation Army and Feed the Children.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

Christos Anesti!!

Comment

Ἀληθῶς ἀνέστη!

(I had to google that, but the sentiment is the same)
          Originally posted by mtu_huskies
          "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
          Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
          Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
            Medieval health care largely conducted by Christians
            Pretty much most of EVERYTHING in medieval Europe was conducted by Christians - health care, libraries, universities, oh, but also inquisitions, crusades, wars, etc.
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Its truly unfortunate yet understandable that your perspective is colored by your experiences. I've always felt people need to learn for themselves...and not take the experiences of others as to the nature of anything.

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
              Pretty much most of EVERYTHING in medieval Europe was conducted by Christians - health care, libraries, universities, oh, but also inquisitions, crusades, wars, etc.
              The inquisitions/crusades were dark moments in history which have led to complications in foriegn policy, yet today they have relatively minor impacts on society. Meanwhile nearly all of worldwide day to day civilization is built on the foundation of the health care, libraries, universities you mention.

Also remember that healthcare, libraries and universities were 100% consistent with the major planks of Christianity...including do good for your common neighbor and healing work done by Jesus. The negative aspects you mention are/were counter to the most important tenents of the faith. "Blessed are the peacemakers", "Turn the other cheek", "Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. For you will be treated as you treat others." Again we're blaming a handful of key decision makers and lackeys for political actions made in the name of the faith...that go counter to the faith.

Just as with extremists and religion, the KKK is more patriotic than about anyone and has fully interpreted meaning behind this country. I assume that athiests are against KKK beliefs...then shouldn't athiests similarly dislike the United States as it apparently is all about racism and bigotry?
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                The inquisitions/crusades were dark moments in history which have led to complications in foriegn policy, yet today they have relatively minor impacts on society. Meanwhile nearly all of worldwide day to day civilization is built on the foundation of the health care, libraries, universities you mention.
                Those things did not originate with the xtians, but like most things you've absorbed you'll gladly claim they always were.

Minor impacts on society? Have you seen the situation in the middle east lately? The last two world wars were part of the long history of unending warfare that occurred in Europe as they squabbled over who had the better interpretation.
                Also remember that healthcare, libraries and universities were 100% consistent with the major planks of Christianity...including do good for your common neighbor and healing work done by Jesus. The negative aspects you mention are/were counter to the most important tenents of the faith. "Blessed are the peacemakers", "Turn the other cheek", "Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. For you will be treated as you treat others." Again we're blaming a handful of key decision makers and lackeys for political actions made in the name of the faith...that go counter to the faith.
                Yea like slavery, that Jesus said what about? Do you also follow the quotes about giving up everything and blindly following Jesus because everything was supposed to end within his disciples lifetime? Good prediction that.

Just as with extremists and religion, the KKK is more patriotic than about anyone and has fully interpreted meaning behind this country.
                *****http://img.***********.com/albums/v418/bawanaal/87582072.gif******

I assume that athiests are against KKK beliefs...then shouldn't athiests similarly dislike the United States as it apparently is all about racism and bigotry?
                I smell straw.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                  Ἀληθῶς ἀνέστη!

(I had to google that, but the sentiment is the same)
                  Thank you huskyfan! That means a lot that you took the time to research that.

Comment

Truly He has risen. With lemon!

Comment

Those things did not originate with the xtians, but like most things you've absorbed you'll gladly claim they always were. Minor impacts on society?
                      Seeing as you've taken a pass at the influence of Christianity in the development of health care:

Universities: European higher education took place for hundreds of years in Christian cathedral schools or monastic schools (Scholae monasticae), in which monks and nuns taught classes; evidence of these immediate forerunners of the later university at many places dates back to the 6th century AD. The earliest universities were developed under the aegis of the Latin Church, usually from cathedral schools or by papal bull as studia generalia.

Libraries and ancient knowledge that drives today's society: The contents of the great Greek works in Islamic libraries were copied by Christian monks in Muslim/Christian border areas, particularly Spain and Sicily. From there they eventually made their way into other parts of Christian Europe. These copies joined works that had been preserved directly by Christian monks from Greek and Roman originals, as well as copies Western Christian monks made of Byzantine works. The resulting conglomerate libraries are the basis of every modern library today.
                      Go Gophers!

Comment

Serious question: is the argument here of the form:

1. We like modern hospitals and universities.
                        2. Modern hospitals and universities developed closely with religion.
                        3. If not for religion, we would not have anything like modern hospitals and universities.
                        4. People should celebrate religion, because it is only due to the positive impact of religion that we are learned enough to question it.

It's tempting, but it's also the case that modern hospitals and universities were decisively influenced by, well, modernity.

God help us all if universities had not been transformed from the model of a millennium ago.
                        1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

what is exactly is your point Foxton?
                          Boosh Factor 4

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            Thank you huskyfan! That means a lot that you took the time to research that.
                            my Greek is a little rusty. alot rusty.
                            Boosh Factor 4

Comment

Spray some Windex on it.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                              And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                              Twenty red lights in his honor
                              Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Gross.

http://www.angryalien.com/0605/pulpfictionbuns.asp

Oh... "Greek."
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X