X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: DEAD THREAD 2017: "This guy here is dead!"..."Cross him off, then!"

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
    Red Wings and Tigers owner Mike Ilitch. He was 87.
    You can always fire/hire a good coach. You can always fire/hire a good GM. Heck, you can always gut the front office.

But you're SOL if you don't have a good owner. We were lucky to have him.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to burd again.
      No, no you don't.
      Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
        You can always fire/hire a good coach. You can always fire/hire a good GM. Heck, you can always gut the front office.

But you're SOL if you don't have a good owner. We were lucky to have him.
        Rumor always was the kids would sell one of the teams once Mr. I died. Guess we'll play the waiting game.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
          Rumor always was the kids would sell one of the teams once Mr. I died. Guess we'll play the waiting game.
          It will be the Tigers. It's been said for years that only Mike cared much about baseball.

Comment

Lt. Gen. Hal Moore, 94

http://www.militarytimes.com/article...dies-at-age-94

https://youtu.be/KcaCi4uhyHc
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Fab Melo

Comment

David and Maddie are sad

@WTOP: ALERT: Legendary jazz singer Al Jarreau has died at age 76, CBS reports. Story developing. http://bit.ly/sjB3au
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Al Jarreau was/is my favorite singer. Saw him several times in concert.
                    sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
                      Al Jarreau was/is my favorite singer. Saw him several times in concert.
                      I just learned that he was from Minneapolis, got his start at Uncle Sam's, which eventually became The Depot, and finally 1st Ave - owned by Prince and featured in Purple Rain.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        I just learned that he was from Minneapolis, got his start at Uncle Sam's, which eventually became The Depot, and finally 1st Ave - owned by Prince and featured in Purple Rain.
                        Um, Wikipedia lists him being from Milwaukee and getting his start in Sausilito, CA.

Comment

And I'm pretty sure Prince didn't own 1st Ave (not that he couldn't have of course).

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                            Um, Wikipedia lists him being from Milwaukee and getting his start in Sausilito, CA.
                            I was a little off in the nature of his Minneapolis connection, but it does appear strong, played a big part of making him the musician he became.

From the Strib.

Al Jarreau grew up in Milwaukee and earned his big break in California, but the seven-time Grammy-winning jazz singer pointed to his time in Minneapolis as a pivotal step in his career. That five-decade legacy ended Sunday when he died at a hospital in Los Angeles. He was 76.

“I had kind of a lusty one-nighter with Minneapolis,” Jarreau laughingly described it in an interview last year.

...He and his manager at the time, Shelly Jacobs, returned to Jacobs’ hometown of Minneapolis in 1969, and for the next year Jarreau said he enjoyed a great creative spurt.

“What we were doing was a little against the grain, but the [Minneapolis] audience was open to it,” he remembered, pointing to his performances at the newly opened nightclub the Depot, now First Avenue. “It was a young, hip audience that was open to new sounds. The entire city at the time really had it going on.”

Original Depot/First Ave owner Allan Fingerhut remembered Jarreau was “trying to make up his mind” about becoming a singer or a professional baseball player when he performed at the club. “I think we played a significant role in launching his career, because the audiences really dug him,” Fingerhut said.

Jarreau said he wrote his first songs in Minneapolis, and he put together a band that included future “A Prairie Home Companion” bandleader Rich Dworsky — then still a senior in high school — along with Bobby Schnitzer, Dik Hedlund and Bruce Kurnow. They followed Jarreau out to California in 1971, where he eventually signed with Warner Bros. Records.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

George "The Animal" Steele.
                              FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Bob Michel, the last competent Republican.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X