This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Detroit Tigers, Volume 9: The Carlos Guillen edition

Rod Allen is on the panel that is hosting, in studio, for tonight's MLB Tonight broadcast. Interesting.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Kyle Lobstein has been DFA.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
        Kyle Lobstein has been DFA.
        and traded.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
          and traded.
          Sold him, actually.

He's bullpen depth. I believe he was a Rule V pick at one point.

EDIT: He was a Rule V pick by the Mets in 2012, and we bought him from the Mets that day.

God, that was fun...

Comment

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/spo...gers/78635084/

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God, that was fun...

Comment

Tigers sign John Mayberry Jr. to a minor league deal. Nothing more than minor league depth. He makes Ryan Raburn look like Jimmy Foxx. He hasn't cracked .250 since 2011.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                http://www.detroitnews.com/story/spo...gers/78635084/

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                This team will have enough talent to tease fans, but not enough for this fan to spend money to see it. I don't understand why Ilitch melted down and blew things up. I'd rather go watch the Mudhens then the sh1tshow in DTW this summer. Pretty sad when they have to resort to bringing back players that were basically run out of town before.

Comment

How did they "blow things up"? They weren't winning anything last year and there was no way they'd have the money resign Cespedes and Price. I'm not sure what else they were supposed to do.
                  Originally posted by dicaslover
                  Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                  Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

This team fell out of contention the day Miggy pulled up lame in mid-July. They had no choice but to fire sale in July and re-tool. More or less, DD made chicken salad at the deadline.

I've said it before. Ilitch likes his stars. The checkbook isn't going to be closed as long as he's alive. But after he goes....look out below.

That's why I would not be surprised in the least if there's one more big signing made to shore up LF.
                    Last edited by Hammer; 01-16-2016, 01:11 PM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Oh, and BTW, the Mud Hens were borderline unwatchable last year.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Watched Baseball Seasons 1987. Was reminded of the Doyle Alexander for prospect John Smoltz trade.

Doyle was crazy good for the Tigers down the stretch. But tough to think of having Smoltz for the next 15 yrs.
                        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

John Smoltz was a mediocre prospect at the time. In 1987 he wound up 4-11 with a 5.73 ERA in AA between the Detroit and Atlanta organizations. He was a 22nd round draft pick. At the time he wasn't regarded highly, and the Tigers were in a position to win RIGHT NOW!!

Here's John Smoltz's stat lines in the minors

The 1987 Tigers were on their last legs. 1988 was their last run, and that year they collapsed in September, ending up 1 game behind Boston. Tom Monaghan did a very, very poor job of funding the farm system from the get-go when he bought the team in late 1983. Jim Campbell, the long time GM, was kicked upstairs to team president, and the farm system tanked from there. Too many Scott Livingstones and Jim Walewanders and not enough Travis Frymans.

There are a lot of similarities between the 1968 & 1972 Tigers and the 1984 & 1987-88 Tigers. After 1972 and 1988 the teams suffered from very poor farm systems for quite some time, and there were long droughts between successful seasons in each instance.

We're not far from being on the bottom end of this curve again in a few years.
                          Last edited by Hammer; 01-17-2016, 10:34 AM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Oh, and BTW, the Mud Hens were borderline unwatchable last year.
                            That was my point.

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                              How did they "blow things up"? They weren't winning anything last year and there was no way they'd have the money resign Cespedes and Price. I'm not sure what else they were supposed to do.
                              When did they implement a salary cap? I'm being sarcastic, but the fire sale was a desperate move to gather as many young chips as possible because of the risk of losing these guys to FA and not getting anything. I get it, but for all the blather about wanting to win, Illitch dumps DD but complained about not winning when he knew what he was up against with payroll. It's comical.
                              Last edited by streaker; 01-17-2016, 01:06 PM.

Comment

This team fell out of contention the day Miggy pulled up lame in mid-July. They had no choice but to fire sale in July and re-tool. More or less, DD made chicken salad at the deadline.

I've said it before. Ilitch likes his stars. The checkbook isn't going to be closed as long as he's alive. But after he goes....look out below.

That's why I would not be surprised in the least if there's one more big signing made to shore up LF.
                                We'll see.

Comment

Working...
                                X