X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Future D-III Championship sites

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Just like Lake Placid?
    I don't care to look it up, but didn't Placid draw around 3K in the past few years?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
      I don't care to look it up, but didn't Placid draw around 3K in the past few years?
      ~2300 each day last year
      ~1400 Fri, ~2000 Sat in 2012-13

Comment

Originally posted by jcase View Post
        ~2300 each day last year
        ~1400 Fri, ~2000 Sat in 2012-13
        IIRC, The first time the FF was in Lake Placid, St Norbert, Elmira, Plattsburgh and Norwich, it was widely reported that the crowd both days was the largest ever recorded for D-III hockey games. Pretty sure the record still stands. And Lake Placid is difinitely NOT an especially easy place to get to, particularly durIng late winter.

GO CARDS
        Wally
        Cornell 67

Comment

Originally posted by wallhd View Post
          IIRC, The first time the FF was in Lake Placid, St Norbert, Elmira, Plattsburgh and Norwich, it was widely reported that the crowd both days was the largest ever recorded for D-III hockey games. Pretty sure the record still stands. And Lake Placid is difinitely NOT an especially easy place to get to, particularly durIng late winter.

GO CARDS
          Wally
          Cornell 67
          I travel from Plattsburgh to Lake Placid on average of twice a week. Not a hard or long trip. About 50 minutes, maybe an hour 15 minutes in bad weather. In turn Plattsburgh is only 40 minutes from Burlington, Vt...... even with the ferry time. So we are looking less than two hours from BTV. That does not seem like a hard trip to me.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
            I travel from Plattsburgh to Lake Placid on average of twice a week. Not a hard or long trip. About 50 minutes, maybe an hour 15 minutes in bad weather. In turn Plattsburgh is only 40 minutes from Burlington, Vt...... even with the ferry time. So we are looking less than two hours from BTV. That does not seem like a hard trip to me.
            Being 50-75 minutes from Plattsburgh -in a National sense- is kinda like saying "an easy day's drive from Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan". LP is fairly remote from anything.

I suspect that more-or-less the same number of hardcore fans will attend the D-3 FF no matter where it's played in the East. This year's teams just represented small fan-bases. Utica would have drawn better had there been an Oswego, a Platty, or a fairly local team there.

Placid is probably as good a choice as any, though, all things considered. Some people might go just on the basis of name-recognition alone.
            Last edited by Fishman'81; 04-17-2017, 11:29 PM.

Comment

2020 - Harbor Center Buffalo.
              2022 - Lake Placid

No mention of odd years other than non predetermined. Guess campus sites?

https://youtu.be/CVfrDmEKdJU
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

2022 - Lake Placid

Curious what the hosting regulations are going to be for the non-predetermined sites...I would have to imagine 1500-2000 seats would be a BARE minimum, probably more like 2500-3000. That's going to eliminate all but what, maybe 1/4th of the rinks in the country, if that?
                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                GO LAKERS!!!
                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

2022 - Lake Placid

We've all gone on the assumption that 2019 was going to be in the West. So, my first thought was they haven't figured out who yet.

But not announcing 2021 does lend credence to the rumor they were going to use on-campus sites every other year.

The mysteries of the NCAA...
                  Russell Jaslow
                  [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                  U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                    Curious what the hosting regulations are going to be for the non-predetermined sites...I would have to imagine 1500-2000 seats would be a BARE minimum, probably more like 2500-3000. That's going to eliminate all but what, maybe 1/4th of the rinks in the country, if that?
                    The last time I looked the minimum was 3,000 which makes the Harbor Center at "1,800+" a head scratcher....why SUNYAC would support Buff State in a rink that's 1,000 shy of the minimum is nuts...unless the minimum was reduced in the smoke filled room....
                    LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
                      The last time I looked the minimum was 3,000 which makes the Harbor Center at "1,800+" a head scratcher....why SUNYAC would support Buff State in a rink that's 1,000 shy of the minimum is nuts...unless the minimum was reduced in the smoke filled room....
                      The SUNYAC and Buffalo State put in a bid. The NCAA accepted it. The NCAA are the ones who "supported" it.

I also wonder how much the HarborCenter is behind this bid. Pagula has made it no secret he wants to bring in as many hockey events as possible to make Buffalo the center of hockey in America.

He was instrumental in getting the WJC to return to Buffalo thanks to offering up the Bills' stadium for the outdoor game. A couple of years ago the HarborCenter hosted the World U18 Women's championship. They have hosted World Sled Hockey championships. So, who knows what the HarborCenter offered up to the NCAA to get this championship?
                      Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                        The SUNYAC and Buffalo State put in a bid. The NCAA accepted it. The NCAA are the ones who "supported" it.

I also wonder how much the HarborCenter is behind this bid. Pagula has made it no secret he wants to bring in as many hockey events as possible to make Buffalo the center of hockey in America.

He was instrumental in getting the WJC to return to Buffalo thanks to offering up the Bills' stadium for the outdoor game. A couple of years ago the HarborCenter hosted the World U18 Women's championship. They have hosted World Sled Hockey championships. So, who knows what the HarborCenter offered up to the NCAA to get this championship?
                        Underwriting the cost is peanuts to him...if that's the case then D III is taking on the worst of DI personality by selling their venues to the highest bidder.....it will be interesting to see what the story is there and if they have scrubbed the rink capacity minimum for a cash guarantee minimum...
                        LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

Wings, Russell. Lots and lots of wings.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Wings, Russell. Lots and lots of wings.
                            I would be perfectly okay with the press buffet being all wings. :-)
                            Russell Jaslow

Comment

Here is a nightmare odd year semifinalist list
                              Johnson & Wales
                              Stevenson
                              Adrian
                              St. Scholastica

Where do you hold the finals?
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                                Well, 15 DIII rinks are listed at 2500 or more, if you dip down to 2000 you get another 6 or 7.
                                http://www.uscho.com/stats/attendance/division-iii-men/2016-2017/
                                Go 'Wick!

Comment

Working...
                                X