Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D3 2017 Offseason Thread: Coaching, Conferences, Etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: D3 2017 Offseason Thread: Coaching, Conferences, Etc.

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
    This is laughable. My favorite is the whole Zamboni maintenance thing. So they want a coach, academic coordinator, recruiter and auto mechanic all for the low low price of $14,500? That's absurd.
    I am trying to figure out what is worse: the fact that they are looking for someone with those qualifications for a salary of $14,500, or the fact that they are likely to find someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
      This is laughable. My favorite is the whole Zamboni maintenance thing. So they want a coach, academic coordinator, recruiter and auto mechanic all for the low low price of $14,500? That's absurd.
      I hope its a GA position with a tuition rebate. if not....good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymakesmebroke View Post
        Next weekend is the NAHA Tournament and kicks off the schedule for the women's hockey season at the 19U level. I specifically chose 19U as my point of reference because I'm aware of the importance of this for NCAA teams looking to fill gaps, as time is getting thin. Any opinions on how the top end 19U teams would fare against a D3 opponent? In this order only for alphabetical reasons, Belle Tire, Boston Jr. Eagles, California Wave, Chicago Mission, East Coast Wizards, Shattuck (I'm sure I left a few out)....all really good programs with several girls committed to play in the NCAA next season.
        talent wise a top u16 or u19 team [i.e. a team that medals at Nationals] could beat most D3 teams...the talent is better top to bottom...the difference is overall strength and conditioning at the D3 level...older/stronger girls will wear down most u16/u19 teams by the 3rd period. Remember too that teams like Assabet, Pitt and Mission [not sure what teams are similar these days] would have every girl going on to play college...and half playing top end D1 so better talent.

Comment

"Candidate will have secondary role of assisting in rink management. Tasks not limited to; Zamboni driving, supervision of rink and public skate sessions and Zamboni maintenance."

Seriously??? This is a joke, right? And they want to pay this position approx. $350/week????? You can get more on Welfare.

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
            "Candidate will have secondary role of assisting in rink management. Tasks not limited to; Zamboni driving, supervision of rink and public skate sessions and Zamboni maintenance."

Seriously??? This is a joke, right? And they want to pay this position approx. $350/week????? You can get more on Welfare.
            as i have noted on here several times...{ok, the zamboni maintenance is a new 'add on' skill-set}...coaching women's D-3 hockey is a financial joke and a bad joke at that. This is hardly a career to aspire to. What do you think Mandingo [the top of the pile] makes per year? any guesses?

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
              as i have noted on here several times...{ok, the zamboni maintenance is a new 'add on' skill-set}...coaching women's D-3 hockey is a financial joke and a bad joke at that. This is hardly a career to aspire to. What do you think Mandingo [the top of the pile] makes per year? any guesses?
              Think Houle's doing okay too.........

Comment

• Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
                Think Houle's doing okay too.........
                State employee, so... per seethroughny.net:

Kevin J. Houle
                Employer: SUNY
                Subagency: SUC@Plattsburgh
                Title: Head Coach
                Pay Year: 2016
                Total Pay: $84,256

(For comparison's sake, Bob Emery made $86,020 in the same year coaching the Men's team. Based on length of tenure at the school, that seems equitable.)

Comparing those numbers to Oswego: Diane Dillon made $59k, while Ed Gosek made $97k.
                Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

• Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                  State employee, so... per seethroughny.net:

Kevin J. Houle
                  Employer: SUNY
                  Subagency: SUC@Plattsburgh
                  Title: Head Coach
                  Pay Year: 2016
                  Total Pay: $84,256

(For comparison's sake, Bob Emery made $86,020 in the same year coaching the Men's team. Based on length of tenure at the school, that seems equitable.)

Comparing those numbers to Oswego: Diane Dillon made $59k, while Ed Gosek made $97k.
                  Interesting website once you figure out how to use it. Here's a highest pay to lowest pay list (Plattsburgh, Potsdam, Oswego, Cortland, Buffalo):

Name Employer/Agency Total Pay
                  Houle, Kevin J SUNY $84,256
                  SubagencySUC@Plattsburgh
                  TitleHead Coach
                  Rate of Pay$83,331
                  Pay Year2016
                  Pay BasisAnnual

Green, Jay W SUNY $63,503
                  SubagencySUNY Potsdam
                  TitleLecturer-10 Month
                  Rate of Pay$63,167
                  Pay Year2016
                  Pay BasisAnnual

Dillon, Diane M SUNY $59,447
                  SubagencySUC@Oswego
                  TitleLecturer-10 Month
                  Rate of Pay$59,177
                  Pay Year2016
                  Pay BasisAnnual

Filighera, Richard M SUNY $14,645
                  SubagencySUC@Cortland
                  TitleHead Coach
                  Rate of Pay$55,000
                  Pay Year2016
                  Pay BasisAnnual

Moxley, Candice E SUNY $46,425
                  SubagencySUC@Buffalo
                  TitleCoach
                  Rate of Pay$45,388
                  Pay Year2016
                  Pay BasisAnnual

Remarkable to see Plattsburgh is $20K more than Potsdam, Potsdam is $4k more than Oswego, Oswego is $4K more than Cortland, and Cortland is $10K more than Buffalo. What a wide range from top to bottom!
                  Last edited by shelfit; 08-24-2017, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post

Remarkable to see Plattsburgh is $20K more than Potsdam, Potsdam is $4k more than Oswego, Oswego is $4K more than Cortland, and Cortland is $10K more than Buffalo. What a wide range from top to bottom!
                    They're NYS employee gigs, where service time has a lot to do with that number, so it's not that surprising.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                      They're NYS employee gigs, where service time has a lot to do with that number, so it's not that surprising.
                      Except the Cortland coach was in his first year compared to Oswego in her 11th year making just $4K more than him and Buffalo in her 4th year making $10K less than him?!?! That doesn't add up IMO. Are Oswego and Buffalo cheapskates? Buffalo clearly is. That's a terrible wage particularly compared to Cortland being $10K more.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                        Except the Cortland coach was in his first year compared to Oswego in her 11th year making just $4K more than him and Buffalo in her 4th year making $10K less than him?!?! That doesn't add up IMO. Are Oswego and Buffalo cheapskates? Buffalo clearly is. That's a terrible wage particularly compared to Cortland being $10K more.
                        Good point, I would chalk it up to Cortland overall having a very strong emphasis on athletics. Despite the results on-ice for hockey, most of their other teams are very competitive (if not the favorite) in their conferences so it would be safe to conclude they do put more resources in. Buffalo State also has 10k students, 2k above Oswego, 4k above Cortland. While they could collect a higher amount in athletics fee to fund the department, they also have a lot of other needs they may need to cover and thus don't dedicate as much to athletics/women's hockey.

No offense to any Bengals, but when I visited Buffalo State as a prospective student 10 years ago I was struck by the apathy around the place. When I asked a professor during my tour what made their communications department different from Oswego and Plattsburgh, the guy said there wasn't anything. It was a very detached attitude compared to my other campus visits (Plattsburgh, Ithaca, Utica, Cortland, UVM, U Albany, the local CUNYs here in NYC) where the faculty tried to highlight their programs.

Comment

Mandigo also coached the golf team for most of his time at Middlebury, so he was a two sport coach and got higher pay.

Comment

talent wise a top u16 or u19 team [i.e. a team that medals at Nationals] could beat most D3 teams...the talent is better top to bottom...the difference is overall strength and conditioning at the D3 level...older/stronger girls will wear down most u16/u19 teams by the 3rd period. Remember too that teams like Assabet, Pitt and Mission [not sure what teams are similar these days] would have every girl going on to play college...and half playing top end D1 so better talent.
                            Sounds about right. Here's a tidbit not exactly related but I thought interesting. In preparation for last year's ACHA World University Championships (club hockey) in Kazakhstan, the U.S. Women's ACHA team played 2 exhibition games. They lost the first game against Chicago Mission 19U 9-1, then played Lindenwood the next night and only lost 3-zip.

Comment

I apologize beforehand on this one because I am sure it has been discussed many times in this forum. But can someone please explain how the schools listed as "D1 independents" are actually Div 1? The play a D 2 schedule from what I see.

Comment

• Originally posted by agfire View Post
                                I apologize beforehand on this one because I am sure it has been discussed many times in this forum. But can someone please explain how the schools listed as "D1 independents" are actually Div 1? The play a D 2 schedule from what I see.
                                You are what your school's NCAA classification is. D2 Colleges before 2011 could play up to Division 1. D3 colleges could do so before that (RIT was the last, and final D3 school to declare D1).

Currently D1 and D2 schools compete for a National Collegiate Championship (providing they meet the minimum scheduling requirements). D3 schools must play for the D3 title (aka the Cardinal Invitational).

A D2 school not meeting the scheduling requirements is SoL for NCAA postseason.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X