NCAA Hockey Rules Committee Announces Changes For 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    You make it sound like a 5-minute OT is unlikely to produce a winner. Minnesota went to 5-min OT eight times last season and three games ended in ties. Even a team like Bemidji State that plays more low-scoring games played seven OT games with three ties. Perhaps Maine with nine OT games and five ties or Northeastern with six OTs and three ties are more typical, but I think Penn St with 14 OT games and 11 ties is an outlier.

I like 5-on-5 hockey and don't like any system that tries to arbitrarily force a winner, and then lumps those results together with results derived by regular rules.
    I mean, this is easy to figure out. The teams combined played 250 overtime games. So there were 125 overtime games and 54 winners. 43.2%.**

However this includes games with unlimited overtime like the Beanpot final and any tournament games which should be excluded. How many of those were there?

EDIT: The teams played 16 conference/NCAA tournament OT games combined, so there were 8 games. Add the Beanpot final, 9 games with unlimited OT. So 116 games, 45 winners, 38.79%.**

**I added these up manually because I'm on my phone and the website didn't have totals at the bottom so it's possible I added wrong but I should only be off by a couple if I did.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 06-17-2018, 07:04 AM.
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Re: NCAA Hockey Rules Committee Announces Changes For 2018-19

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
      I guess young is a matter of perspective. I can apply for AARP but I’ll take being considered young. I get your points. I just feel that the point of overtime is to get a winner. If that is the case, try something different than what was going on for the first 60 minutes that ended up in a tie.
      Oops; missed my guess on your age. Thanks for putting a positive spin on it.

I still say there's a correlation between age & tiebreaker opinion. But of course there's going to be variation of opinion within each age group.

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      pgb-ohio

Minnesota plays 17 minute periods. In the sectionals and state tournament the overtime is a hybrid.
      8 minutes
      resurface
      17 minutes
      brief break
      and repeat the 8/17 until somebody scores.

Most states do not play unlimited overtime. After X OT periods, they use a shootout to determine a winner.

Up until a few years ago, Rhode Island was weird. They play a 2 out of 3 final, but if a game was tied after 2 OTs, it was declared "no result" and you played another game in the series. The champion could end up 2 wins, 1 loss, and 2 ties.

New Jersey was weirder. Play a single 15 minute OT and, if tied, declare co champions. I think that changes for 18-19.
      Really interesting stuff. Who says hockey people aren't creative?

Most of your comment concerns the post-season, of course. But if I'm understanding you correctly, MSHSL plays 17 minute periods in regulation time, both regular season & post-season. That would still fit my suggestion that roughly half of a period should be used to break regular season ties. 8 minutes is obviously slightly less than half of 17. But that's just rounding off to an even minute.

Comment

A couple of other pending rule changes:

*For a substitution to be legal, the player coming off the ice must be within 5 feet of their bench before the substitute may contact the ice.
        Expect a few penalties to be called, especially early in the season, until players learn just how short 5 feet is. And what will they call this? Illegal substitution? Delay of game? Kind of like in football where the substituted player doesn't reach the sideline before the ball is snapped.

*The number of skaters allowed to each team will be increased to 19 (current rule allows up to 18).
        Four forward lines plus three sets of D = 18 skaters. As it is in women's hockey the 4th forward line and the 3rd set of D typically do not see a lot of ice time. That 19th skater will see even less. I suppose for the player(s) who would otherwise be watching from the stands getting to dress and watch from the bench will be an improvement.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          A couple of other pending rule changes:

*For a substitution to be legal, the player coming off the ice must be within 5 feet of their bench before the substitute may contact the ice.
          Expect a few penalties to be called, especially early in the season, until players learn just how short 5 feet is. And what will they call this? Illegal substitution? Delay of game? Kind of like in football where the substituted player doesn't reach the sideline before the ball is snapped.

*The number of skaters allowed to each team will be increased to 19 (current rule allows up to 18).
          Four forward lines plus three sets of D = 18 skaters. As it is in women's hockey the 4th forward line and the 3rd set of D typically do not see a lot of ice time. That 19th skater will see even less. I suppose for the player(s) who would otherwise be watching from the stands getting to dress and watch from the bench will be an improvement.
          For teams that have only 2 goalies dressed for games that 19th skater becomes the other door opener instead of wasting an assistant coach to do it. Very valuable role to fill. Great rule change. Lol.

Comment

When I was at Clarkson, it was 10 minutes 5 skaters a side. Of course we also had all minor penalties were on the penalty clock and no facemasks.

And 2 referees and no linesmen.
            And the infamous 10-minute mini-game when a series was tied at the end of game 2 in the playoffs!

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
              Oops; missed my guess on your age. Thanks for putting a positive spin on it.

I still say there's a correlation between age & tiebreaker opinion. But of course there's going to be variation of opinion within each age group.

Really interesting stuff. Who says hockey people aren't creative?

Most of your comment concerns the post-season, of course. But if I'm understanding you correctly, MSHSL plays 17 minute periods in regulation time, both regular season & post-season. That would still fit my suggestion that roughly half of a period should be used to break regular season ties. 8 minutes is obviously slightly less than half of 17. But that's just rounding off to an even minute.
              The NFHS rule book allows 17 minute periods and calls for an 8 minute OT for non tournament games.

SECTION 11
              TIED GAMES ART. 1 . . . In case of a tie score at the end of the third period, if an a three-minute intermission, ends shall be changed, and play shall be continued for not more than eight minutes. Teams shall remain in the bench area between the end of the third period and the beginning of the overtime period. The team that scores first wins, and the game is ended. If no score is made in these eight minutes, the game shall be declared a tie.
              NOTE: All games may be played under overtime policies adopted by the state high school association.
              Last edited by joecct; 06-17-2018, 09:39 AM.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

The NFHS rule book allows 17 minute periods and calls for an 8 minute OT for non tournament games.
                I think it's pretty clear that not many people are too thrilled with only 5 minutes for OT. You know it's bad when even the high school leagues in various states are making smarter decisions with their overtime format. College is supposed to be the next level and should be a step up from high school in every way or at very least on par with high school.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                  I think it's pretty clear that not many people are too thrilled with only 5 minutes for OT. You know it's bad when even the high school leagues in various states are making smarter decisions with their overtime format. College is supposed to be the next level and should be a step up from high school in every way or at very least on par with high school.
                  Blame the CCHA. They started it.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
                    I understand this argument but really you have just played 60 minutes of mostly 5 on 5 Hockey and it’s tied. What’s the point of more of the same? Change it up and go to 4 on 4. It’s still “real hockey”. It happens all the time in regulation. Teams prepare for it. For overtime it’s exciting for fans and it’s more likely to get a winner. No one likes a tie.
                    If the game isn't going to be played to a conclusion, what is the point of overtime? Third period ends, call it a tie. If overtime is played it should be a format that is guaranteed to determine a winner.
                    Last edited by NUProf; 06-17-2018, 10:42 AM.
                    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                      If the game isn't going to be played to a conclusion, what is the point of overtime? Third period ends, call it a tie. If overtime is played it should be a format that is guaranteed to determine a winner.
                      So, a coin toss? Maybe a punt, pass and kick competition? Swim suit judging? Anything so long as there is no tie? Nobody has ever explained what is so horrible about a tie that any solution is better than one.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                        So, a coin toss? Maybe a punt, pass and kick competition? Swim suit judging? Anything so long as there is no tie? Nobody has ever explained what is so horrible about a tie that any solution is better than one.
                        I'm saying if the goal is to break ties, have an OT procedure that guarantees a winner. If you are willing to accept ties as a valid outcome, there is no need for any overtime procedure. 3 periods in the books, both teams have the same number of goals, call it a tie. No need to waste time with an OT.
                        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

I'm saying if the goal is to break ties, have an OT procedure that guarantees a winner. If you are willing to accept ties as a valid outcome, there is no need for any overtime procedure. 3 periods in the books, both teams have the same number of goals, call it a tie. No need to waste time with an OT.
                          Soccer is, I think, the only other NCAA sport that accepts ties (after 2(?) sudden death overtimes?)
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

College hockey has always had overtime, although on occasion the overtime period was not played or multiple overtimes were played through the 1920s. However, starting around 1930 through the 1936-37 season overtime consisted of a 10-minute overtime and if still tied a second 10-minute overtime. Starting in 1937-38 overtime was reduced to a single 10-minute overtime and starting with the 1949-50 season a single 10-minute sudden death overtime period was played. Failure to played overtime was to result in a forfeit. These are NCAA Ice Hockey Rules and I have no idea what the NHL or other leagues used.

Sean
                            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                            BU Hockey highlights and extras
                            NCAA Hockey Financials
                            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                              Amen!

I'm saying if the goal is to break ties, have an OT procedure that guarantees a winner.
                              The idea is that teams are given the opportunity to break the tie, not a guarantee of that result.

If you are willing to accept ties as a valid outcome, there is no need for any overtime procedure.
                              Ideally, one team finds a way to win within the agreed upon rules. But if a regular season game is genuinely a standoff, so be it. Valid outcome as far as I'm concerned. Still, having the OT period adds some legitimacy to the tie, IMHO. We gave the offenses every opportunity, but it was still a standoff... etc. There may not be a "need" per se, but I believe it allows for better results -- whether the tie is broken or not.

3 periods in the books, both teams have the same number of goals, call it a tie. No need to waste time with an OT.
                              My above comments notwithstanding, I have some sympathy with this argument. If it was my decision to make, but the only two options on the table are the 5 Minute OT & No OT, I'd have to give that choice a lot of thought. The short five minute OT often feels like a dissatisfying compromise.

In the end, I'd probably opt for the 5 minutes. It provides a small deterrent to playing for the tie in regulation time. It offers "some" opportunity to break that tie for teams willing to go on the attack.

But I still say that 10 minutes would serve both of those objectives much better than 5 minutes.
                              Last edited by pgb-ohio; 06-17-2018, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                                The idea is that teams are given the opportunity to break the tie, not a guarantee of that result.
                                Well said.
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X