Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Any wins this weekend would be HUGE steps towards the NRN. Looking ahead, he could still get there theoretically if UNH runs the table through the end of 2017. Don't see that happening (but would be psyched if it did), but this weekend in some ways sets the table for the run through the Brown game in early 2018. That's where the majority of the *damage* needs to be inflicted, and seeing their return to form last weekend against Yale makes me think *maybe* I was a bit pessimistic about this coming weekend? But then again, the recent stretch against UML/BU/BC gave us plenty of evidence that UNH isn't up to that level, and I think PC is closer to that level than the likes of Yale and others UNH has faced earlier. I think this weekend gives us an updated glimpse (and UNH a second chance) to see if the 'Cats can hold their own with the top of the league. Failing that, then it's all about the NRN, and somehow finding a back door into the national tourney. JMHO.
    So Chuck, did UNH not get a "pass" of sorts (from you) during that 3 game skid with 4 top forwards out? I mean I watched the BU game live and we got beat, period. But I'm thinking the BC/UML games might have been different. Just a thought. But you make a valid point that how UNH does this weekend speaks to how they are going to do for the most part against the top teams in some ways.

Me? I'd like to think that UNH has a chance in every game they play, but I know our limits too. Taking one from PC isn't out of the question; I mean, look at how they did with UMass (split). "On any given night"? Two decent offenses but we'll have to have everyone step up. Go 'Cats!!
    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

??? who is that? Leader of the UNH "Beast of the East" pep band?

http://www.unhbands.org/staff/1-casey-goodwin

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        ??? who is that? Leader of the UNH "Beast of the East" pep band?

http://www.unhbands.org/staff/1-casey-goodwin
        Yes; class act, our pep band. :-)

Comment

Any other long timers out there interested in reading this:

https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Parkers-...=1511974824349

Not many good books on college hockey out there (and I have no idea if this is one of them) but I'm curious to read it, even though UNH would only have a bit part. (That quarterfinal playoff game was a classic.)
          Last edited by Felger; 11-29-2017, 11:30 AM.
          UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

I'd borrow it from the library. Surprised it is written by someone other than Bernie Corbett, who is Mr. BU Hockey. This past week I was in Ithaca, NY visiting my daughter for Thanksgiving. The hotel we stayed at displayed in their lobby a book written about the top 20 games in Cornell Hockey history. Sadly, their 10-9 OT loss to UNH in the 1977 ECAC semifinal was not among them. If we at UNH compiled the same list, where would it start, where would it end? Looking for suggestions.

Btw, this is the second Cornell book that I am aware of as, a few years ago, Adam Woden (who is an Ithaca College alum btw) wrote a history of the Cornell Hockey program. A few years ago a couple of people asked me if I had any thoughts about contributing to writing a history of UNH Hockey. My reply was to ask exactly how many people would read such a thing

Comment

Off the top of my head – and in my lifetime (excluding games to early for me to recall – i.e. UNH over Michigan State in the 1982 NCAAs) – here are ten games/series I’ll never forget. In chronological order…

1993-94
              UNH 2, Rennselear 0
              * UNH wins an NCAA Tournament game for the second time in my lifetime, but the first in both Umile’s career and my recollection.

1994-95

UNH 6, Boston University 5 OT
              * Is the first-game at the Whittemore Center still the best game at the Whittemore Center? This game was a thriller. Mark Mowers opened the scoring and Tom Nolan finished it off with an OT goal I can still envision to this day. Was BU ranked #1? A high point in an ultimately very disappointing season…

1997-98

UNH 4, Wisconsin 3 OT
              * This might be the biggest UNH game in my lifetime, based on both the meaning at the time and what it started in the long term – the most successful run in UNH hockey history.

1998-99
              UNH 6, Maine 1
              UNH 4, Maine 1

* UNH needed a sweep to win the HE Regular Season title outright and they got it in dominating fashion. They completely overwhelmed Maine this weekend. At the time, the Whitt was one of the loudest buildings in the sport and this weekend took it to another level. My favorite weekend ever of UNH hockey. Newer fans will simply never understand how loud this building could get. Many will probably think I’m crazy for saying it was ever loud…

UNH 2, Michigan 1 OT

* Darren Haydar picks up a turnover at the offensive blue line, transitions and slides one past Josh Blackburn to send UNH back to the FF for the second season in a row. In doing so, UNH beat the same Michigan team that knocked them out of the tournament in the semi-finals the year before.

UNH 5, Michigan State 3

* UNH – behind a big game from head coach in waiting Mike Souza – knocks off a loaded Michigan State team led by Mike York to reach the first National Title game in school history.

2001-02
              UNH 3, Maine 1
              * Chuck rejoices as Steve Saviano game-winner clinches UNH’s first HE Tournament championship against its biggest rival.

2002-03
              UNH 5, Minnesota 5 OT
              UNH 3, Minnesota 1

* People often forget that the 2002-03 season, which ended with Minnesota and UNH facing off in the National title game began with the two teams meeting at the Whitt. This was beautiful hockey and the college game at its absolute best. Both teams were loaded and in the top-5 (if not higher) – UNH even had Lanny Gare on the ice for this series, a benefit that they would not enjoy later in the year. The first game was incredible – a back-and-forth, 5-5 tie that featured three dramatic lead changes. UNH blew leads of 3-1 and 4-3 before Gare forced a tie with a long wrist-shot goal midway through the third.

UNH 1, Boston University 0 2OT

* A great game, with a thrilling finish as a Tyson Teplitsky rush gives UNH back-to-back HE Tournament titles.

2008-09
              UNH 6, North Dakota 5 OT
              * This would have been a classic college hockey game if it ended 5-4 North Dakota in regulation. Thomas Fortney – of all people – tying the game and sending it to OT where Peter Leblanc scored and subsequently delivered one of the best celeys in UNH history pushes it to another level…
              Last edited by Dan; 11-29-2017, 02:54 PM.
              Live Free or Die!!
              Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                Off the top of my head – and in my lifetime (excluding games to early for me to recall – i.e. UNH over Michigan State in the 1982 NCAAs) – here are ten games/series I’ll never forget. In chronological order…

1993-94
                UNH 2, Rennselear 0
                * UNH wins an NCAA Tournament game for the second time in my lifetime, but the first in both Umile’s career and my recollection.

1994-95

* Is the first-game at the Whittemore Center still the best game at the Whittemore Center? This game was a thriller. Mark Mowers opened the scoring and Tom Nolan finished it off with an OT goal I can still envision to this day. Was BU ranked #1? A high point in an ultimately very disappointing season…

1997-98

UNH 4, Wisconsin 3 OT
                * This might be the biggest UNH game in my lifetime, based on both the meaning at the time and what it started in the long term – the most successful run in UNH hockey history.

1998-99
                UNH 6, Maine 1
                UNH 4, Maine 1

* UNH needed a sweep to win the HE Regular Season title outright and they got it in dominating fashion. They completely overwhelmed Maine this weekend. At the time, the Whitt was one of the loudest buildings in the sport and this weekend took it to another level. My favorite weekend ever of UNH hockey. Newer fans will simply never understand how loud this building could get. Many will probably think I’m crazy for saying it was ever loud…

UNH 2, Michigan 1 OT

* Darren Haydar picks up a turnover at the offensive blue line, transitions and slides one past Josh Blackburn to send UNH back to the FF for the second season in a row. In doing so, UNH beat the same Michigan team that knocked them out of the tournament in the semi-finals the year before.

UNH 5, Michigan State 3

* UNH – behind a big game from head coach in waiting Mike Souza – knocks off a loaded Michigan State team led by Mike York to reach the first National Title game in school history.

2001-02
                UNH 3, Maine 1
                * Chuck rejoices as Steve Saviano game-winner clinches UNH’s first HE Tournament championship against its biggest rival.

2002-03
                UNH 5, Minnesota 5 OT
                UNH 3, Minnesota 1

* People often forget that the 2002-03 season, which ended with Minnesota and UNH facing off in the National title game began with the two teams meeting at the Whitt. This was beautiful hockey and the college game at its absolute best. Both teams were loaded and in the top-5 (if not higher) – UNH even had Lanny Gare on the ice for this series, a benefit that they would not enjoy later in the year. The first game was incredible – a back-and-forth, 5-5 tie that featured three dramatic lead changes. UNH blew leads of 3-1 and 4-3 before Gare forced a tie with a long wrist-shot goal midway through the third.

* A great game, with a thrilling finish as a Tyson Teplitsky rush gives UNH back-to-back HE Tournament titles.

2008-09
                UNH 6, North Dakota 5 OT
                * This would have been a classic college hockey game if it ended 5-4 North Dakota in regulation. Thomas Fortney – of all people – tying the game and sending it to OT where Peter Leblanc scored and subsequently delivered one of the best celeys in UNH history pushes it to another level…
                Wow Dan really good stuff you guys were afforded some memorable hockey games that's for sure!! I have watched the 08/09 you tube a few times; amazing beating NoDak off that faceoff.

It's funny you post this as I was going to ask you guys who have been around to post your most memorable games to eat up thread space so WE could get to the NRN and open a new thread 😉 I look forward to having some memorable games too; at this point it's beating PC in that HE semi sooooo....heres to many more!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

1993-94
                  UNH 2, Rennselear 0

1994-95

1997-98

UNH 4, Wisconsin 3 OT

1998-99
                  UNH 6, Maine 1
                  UNH 4, Maine 1

UNH 2, Michigan 1 OT

UNH 5, Michigan State 3

2001-02
                  UNH 3, Maine 1

2002-03
                  UNH 5, Minnesota 5 OT
                  UNH 3, Minnesota 1

2008-09
                  UNH 6, North Dakota 5 OT
                  Not that it rises to the level of these, but were you at the 2011 Magness game where we got down 3-0 in the first 10 minutes only to come back in fine fashion to win 6-4? I took a solo trip to watch the weekend and it was one of my favorites to see live as a visiting fan.
                  Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                    Not that it rises to the level of these, but were you at the 2011 Magness game where we got down 3-0 in the first 10 minutes only to come back in fine fashion to win 6-4? I took a solo trip to watch the weekend and it was one of my favorites to see live as a visiting fan.
                    No, I was living in DC at the time, but I do remember that game well. Halfway through the first I was ready to give up on following that game, but I'm glad I stick around for dueling hat-tricks from Goumas and Downing!

The post-season or milestone games jump to the front of mind for their significance - but there are a number of great regular season contests in program history also. A regular season list of simply good and memorable games would be fun to put together as well...

An early Maine white-out the Whitt game - The early white-outs were amazing atmospheres - resulting in a 1-0 UNH win on a Matt Swain goal and seeing UNH tie Michigan 4-4 at Yost are two that come to mind immediately.

The Swain goal reminds me - when games were on NHPTV they used to archive clips of UNH goals from the games they broadcast. I had a downloaded collection of so many UNH goals at one point. They're on an unbootable computer still up in my childhood bedroom - I would love to see those again...
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

1993-94
                      UNH 2, Rennselear 0

1994-95

1997-98

UNH 4, Wisconsin 3 OT

1998-99
                      UNH 6, Maine 1
                      UNH 4, Maine 1

UNH 2, Michigan 1 OT

UNH 5, Michigan State 3

2001-02
                      UNH 3, Maine 1

2002-03
                      UNH 5, Minnesota 5 OT
                      UNH 3, Minnesota 1

2008-09
                      UNH 6, North Dakota 5 OT
                      My fav always will be:

March 12, 1994 — In the final game ever to be played at Snively Arena, Umile guides the Wildcats to a 6-5, double overtime victory over Boston College in the Hockey East quarterfinals. Eric Boguniecki breaks the deadlock at 10:28. It marks the second longest game in UNH history.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

1993-94
                        UNH 2, Rennselear 0

1994-95

1997-98

UNH 4, Wisconsin 3 OT

1998-99
                        UNH 6, Maine 1
                        UNH 4, Maine 1

UNH 2, Michigan 1 OT

UNH 5, Michigan State 3

2001-02
                        UNH 3, Maine 1

2002-03
                        UNH 5, Minnesota 5 OT
                        UNH 3, Minnesota 1

2008-09
                        UNH 6, North Dakota 5 OT
                        I will always remember the 1977 NCAA Semifinal game with Wisconsin. This was UNH's first "Final Four" in hockey. It went to overtime and UNH lost 4-3. That was bad enough, however the way the game ended made it even more memorable. The winning goal was scored from the right face off circle - I can still visualize it. The puck went directly from the Wisconsin center's stick into the net. Barry Edgar, who remains as one of my favorite players, was involved in that face off. Little did I know that it was the beginning of a number of difficult playoff experiences for UNH. There have been a few positive experiences, however balancing the positive/negative sheet would probably take more years than I have left. Although who knows maybe I'll renew my season tickets beginning in 2018-19.

Comment

• Originally posted by sonar View Post
                          I will always remember the 1977 NCAA Semifinal game with Wisconsin. This was UNH's first "Final Four" in hockey. It went to overtime and UNH lost 4-3. That was bad enough, however the way the game ended made it even more memorable. The winning goal was scored from the right face off circle - I can still visualize it. The puck went directly from the Wisconsin center's stick into the net. Barry Edgar, who remains as one of my favorite players, was involved in that face off. Little did I know that it was the beginning of a number of difficult playoff experiences for UNH. There have been a few positive experiences, however balancing the positive/negative sheet would probably take more years than I have left. Although who knows maybe I'll renew my season tickets beginning in 2018-19.
                          Arrgghh! I watched this game at a neighbor's house when I was in Boulder, Colorado. No one else in the room understood why I was so bummed, as all that anyone in that room cared about was rock climbing.

Comment

• Originally posted by sonar View Post
                            I remember trying to listen to that game on the radio. I was living in North Hampton,NH at the time and I was so ******ed off because the radio kept crackling in and out! Never did find out the outcome of the game until much later.

My fav games were all the ones I attended at Snively while a student in the early 70's.

The most satisfying game I attended was the 7-4 win over Wisconsin at Albany Regional in 1998 erasing some of the pain of that 1977 loss!

The OT win over NODAK at the Manchester Regional in 08/09 still remains an all-time fav as well
                            Last edited by e.cat; 11-30-2017, 09:11 AM.
                            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by sonar View Post
                              It's good to see you on the board Sonar...I hope you return to the 'Whitt next season...

Comment

One of my favs, and, wish I had more history, but this was super fun. Unfortunately had to watch this from home. We didn't go to the third game as it was played on a Sunday night. From now on that lame excuse won't stop me : Of course we all know Providence won it all that season, but this was gratifying after a tough start to the season losing our goalie. Kudos to Adam Clark who came in and DT who followed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLApBVvQd2I

...Love the "UNH" chants and, Gillies skating by at the end...
                                Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-30-2017, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X