Minnesota Gophers Season Thread - 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Season Thread - 2016-2017

Finally got to a game last night. I'm always watching on TV, but I averaged 10 games a season at Mariucci up until two years ago. Didn't realize how much I missed it until tonight. So much fun, regardless of the great win.

Vera had a blast as well, and she is no sports fan. When money is a bit more plentiful in the household we're doing it a lot more often. Go Gophers!
    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Couple of thoughts - outside of a periodic meltdown (often due to running out of gas), things looking pretty good:

Schierhorn is playing very well. Kept the team in the game when things could have fallen apart. He got bailed out once or twice, but great effort in limiting the top scoring team in the nation to a weekend of 3 goals (including the fact PSU got more PPs than us).

While Kloos has been the racehorse that can score, Bristedt IMO has been the overall most talented player for about a year now. That second line will create tremendous matchup problems for opponents as he and VL have both taken their game up and meshed. And I'm less of a half empty guy on Cammy as he plays a different, playmaker role than others...outstanding contributions all weekend. He followed up a GWG with a simply amazing cross crease pass that was 3 inches off the ice and right on Bristedt's stick pretty much putting the game out of reach.

The third can represent a tough match up in MS and BG. Szmatula is becoming energy guy that makes things happen and Gates a supreme closer. Reilly's level of play will be the one question there. And although I think Clymer's label of the fourth as the best 4th in hockey is a bit over the top, that line does do an excellent job of zone control.

Clymer's call out of the defense was spot on - that that's made a huge difference. With Collins tightening up and Sadek turning the corner this year, the D is both deep and talented.

The Gophers have the fourth highest Goals average in the nation...a great departure from year's past where scoring was the team's problem. Especially impressive as we've got the toughest SOS of any team not in the NCHC.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
        Couple of thoughts - outside of a periodic meltdown (often due to running out of gas), things looking pretty good:

Schierhorn is playing very well. Kept the team in the game when things could have fallen apart. He got bailed out once or twice, but great effort in limiting the top scoring team in the nation to a weekend of 3 goals (including the fact PSU got more PPs than us).

While Kloos has been the racehorse that can score, Bristedt IMO has been the overall most talented player for about a year now. That second line will create tremendous matchup problems for opponents as he and VL have both taken their game up and meshed. And I'm less of a half empty guy on Cammy as he plays a different, playmaker role than others...outstanding contributions all weekend. He followed up a GWG with a simply amazing cross crease pass that was 3 inches off the ice and right on Bristedt's stick pretty much putting the game out of reach.

The third can represent a tough match up in MS and BG. Szmatula is becoming energy guy that makes things happen and Gates a supreme closer. Reilly's level of play will be the one question there. And although I think Clymer's label of the fourth as the best 4th in hockey is a bit over the top, that line does do an excellent job of zone control.

Clymer's call out of the defense was spot on - that that's made a huge difference. With Collins tightening up and Sadek turning the corner this year, the D is both deep and talented.

The Gophers have the fourth highest Goals average in the nation...a great departure from year's past where scoring was the team's problem. Especially impressive as we've got the toughest SOS of any team not in the NCHC.
        On the topic of defense, I thought Steve Johnson was outstanding on Saturday.

Made it to both games this weekend and I thought the crowd we pretty decent too. Good atmosphere and props to the students! The student section was filled just about to the top within the first five minutes of the game both nights.
        "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Yeah. Johnson has really rivaled Bischoff for best D. I wouldn't be surprised if his name were called more than anyone else on D.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
            Made it to both games this weekend and I thought the crowd we pretty decent too. Good atmosphere and props to the students! The student section was filled just about to the top within the first five minutes of the game both nights.
            Agree, but I'm always puzzled by how a good number of fans arrive well after the game starts and choose to leave well before it ends, even when the outcome is far from being decided. Obviously not a priority for many to witness the whole game! To get a reasonably accurate assessment of the crowd size you need to look around no sooner than the later stages of the 1st period and no later than midway through the 3rd. I recall the days when it was pretty unusual for people to leave early, and when they did they stood out enough for the student section to shame them, "BEAT the TRAF-fic, BEAT the TRAF-fic!"
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              I recall the days when it was pretty unusual for people to leave early, and when they did they stood out enough for the student section to shame them, "BEAT the TRAF-fic, BEAT the TRAF-fic!"
              Yeah, those days are gone. If one team or the other has a two goal (or more) lead, you can see the early exits at the 15 and 10 minute TV timeouts in the 3rd period.

It's a real shame that anyone would leave early on a Saturday night with the chance to see a stick salute

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Yeah. Johnson has really rivaled Bischoff for best D. I wouldn't be surprised if his name were called more than anyone else on D.
                He made a ton of great defensive plays and he had the great pass to Bristedt for his hat trick goal where he carried it all the way up the ice himself.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

I would have said Collins is up there for top D. The jump he's made this year is nothig short of astounding.

Bischoff had a crap game on Saturday. One of the goals scored was because of a terrible play he made in the defensive zone. Which isn't to say he's had a bad year. Just a bad game.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

This last weekend was my first chance to see the Gophers play all season and they looked pretty solid. But I haven't been around for the down times either. Just wondering what some of your thoughts are on whether this team has the mental toughness, skill set and depth to be a F4 team.

Comment

It all comes down to defense and one number 2.5.

Allow fewer than that in, we're 13-0-1. More than that, we're 4-7-1.
                      6 0 W
                      4 0 W
                      2 0 W
                      1 0 W
                      5 1 W
                      5 1 W
                      4 1 W
                      5 2 W
                      5 2 W
                      4 2 W
                      4 2 W
                      4 2 W
                      4 2 W
                      2 2 T
                      6 3 W
                      5 3 W
                      4 3 W
                      4 3 W
                      2 3 L
                      2 3 L
                      1 4 L
                      5 5 T
                      3 5 L
                      5 6 L
                      4 6 L
                      3 8 L
                      Last edited by dxmnkd316; 02-06-2017, 12:06 PM.
                      Code:
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                        This last weekend was my first chance to see the Gophers play all season and they looked pretty solid. But I haven't been around for the down times either. Just wondering what some of your thoughts are on whether this team has the mental toughness, skill set and depth to be a F4 team.
                        If you would have asked that question as late as December 3rd, I would have said little to no chance of getting the the Frozen Four. But they've turned it around and have improved in all facets of the game since then, including in goal, tighter D and effort from the entire lineup. IF they should continue on their current path through the B1G conference tournament I think they have an excellent chance of getting there, at least 50-50. But that's a big IF, because given their now well-earned position as conference favorite they'll have a target on their back the rest of the way, and all five of remaining B1G opponents will be gunning for them. Not an easy road to be sure, but since the break they've clearly shown they have the talent to get it done.
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          If you would have asked that question as late as December 3rd, I would have said little to no chance of getting the the Frozen Four. But they've turned it around and have improved in all facets of the game since then, including in goal, tighter D and effort from the entire lineup. IF they should continue on their current path through the B1G conference tournament I think they have an excellent chance of getting there, at least 50-50. But that's a big IF, because given their now well-earned position as conference favorite they'll have a target on their back the rest of the way, and all five of remaining B1G opponents will be gunning for them. Not an easy road to be sure, but since the break they've clearly shown they have the talent to get it done.
                          I thought they showed they had talent pretty early, but not for full games, not just after December. I was impressed at times with stretches in some early games, clearly much improved from last year. But Scheirhorn had been inconsistent (although we knew he was capable of better play) and the play was inconsistent from the rest of the team. But those are both things that have the potential to improve over the season (don't expect to see lack of talent improve, and if there aren't signs of intensity as a team, don't expect it to all of a sudden appear late). So in the last month, the consistency of team play, including Sheirhorn, has improved. But I thought from early on this team had more potential than to just make it to the tourney. Of course this is hockey, so I rarely say "this is a Frozen Four team" unless they are dominant. But given Duluth appears to maybe be the best team in the country, and I think MN is now good enough to beat them maybe 40% of the time, I'd say anything can happen.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                            Its strength is that it is a fairly resilient team. But games like that of OSU, UW and UMD show that it can be dominated. I don't think this is a F4 team, but this story is not close to being written yet.

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            I would have said Collins is up there for top D. The jump he's made this year is nothig short of astounding.

Bischoff had a crap game on Saturday. One of the goals scored was because of a terrible play he made in the defensive zone. Which isn't to say he's had a bad year. Just a bad game.
                            Not sure if personally I'd put Collins in the mix for top D. But I would say that he's the most fluid 6'5" college player I've seen in a long time...that coupled with him probably being our most improved player...is indeed astounding.
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

Not sure if personally I'd put Collins in the mix for top D. But I would say that he's the most fluid 6'5" college player I've seen in a long time...that coupled with him probably being our most improved player...is indeed astounding.
                              I wouldn't say he's the undisputed #1 D. I think he should be in the conversation though. Maybe he's our best defensive defenseman. Bischoff is clearly more of an offensive-minded player.
                              Code:

Comment

Its strength is that it is a fairly resilient team. But games like that of OSU, UW and UMD show that it can be dominated. I don't think this is a F4 team, but this story is not close to being written yet.

I would still put Bischoff at number 1. He doesn't have the size to be imposing but I think is the most intelligent and has some offensive ability. If the opponent has a 2 on 1, Bischoff is the guy I want defending.

Not sure I would say Collins is for sure the most improved. I don't think he was as bad as many made him out to be last year, as a mistake here and there stands out for a D and is what a person remembers. It also justifies the opinion of the person being critical of that D (which seems to happen every season with a Gopher D). He's improved a lot, but Lettari has really stood out (REminds me of how much Jake Hanson just seemed to improve dramatically in his last couple years). I remember his first game as a Gopher, I thought his effort exceeded the expectations I had for him based on how he was projected. But the rest of that year I never saw much of that again. But now, when he or Bridstedt are on the ice, they seem to make things happen.

Gates is much improved and I think Sheehy is much more consistent as well. And if you completely ignore his freshman year when he looked like he had potential at least as a playmaker and only look at the last couple, in the last couple weeks, Cammi is looking like he belongs and will contribute. For that matter, while he is not tearing things up, Romanko did nothing for me last year, but now seems like a forechecking machine. Jphnson also appears to have made a jump. Number of guys who have clearly taken a step up.

Comment

Working...
                                X