Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA 2016-17 Season

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
    that's what I love about all you ladies on this forum, you take everything literal and miss the point

if we were talking about the culture at MN, and someone said Sarah Potomak is supplying all the culture they need
    do you get it now?
    no?
    it doesn't surprise me
    Oh, I understand your point. Trouble is, you're wrong.

Intangibles like team culture matter. One star player is never enough.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
      oh, i understand your point. Trouble is, you're wrong.

Intangibles like team culture matter. One star player is never enough.
      lol

Comment

shrug.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
          shrug.
          It looks like OSU have a few stars that will shine for this team for the next few years and a few more on the way. You have to be encouraged with the team you have, the new staff and the incoming recruits (assuming they stick to their commitments). Enjoy the ride.

Comment

Provincial thought here for the Minny folks. Of the 18 skaters dressed for SCSU tonight against MN-Twin Cities 15 are not from Minnesota. State school that may make a run up to third place every 10 years or so should have more of a Minnesota flavor like Bemidji. Create some enthusiasm and interest with some local girls and build from there like there men's team has done.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie44 View Post
              Provincial thought here for the Minny folks. Of the 18 skaters dressed for SCSU tonight against MN-Twin Cities 15 are not from Minnesota. State school that may make a run up to third place every 10 years or so should have more of a Minnesota flavor like Bemidji. Create some enthusiasm and interest with some local girls and build from there like there men's team has done.
              I think the problem is a lack of depth in girls hockey. Despite a huge improvement there is still a big drop off. It would be nice it SCSU would being in more MN girls but at this point I don't see enough talent left over after MN, WI, BSU and to some extent UND are done taking their share. Id SCSU could put together a couple winning years they might draw better talent but I just don't think they can draw them now.

Comment

I have the line chart from last Friday's Minnesota/St. Cloud men's game, and of the 18 skaters dressed for SCSU the majority (10) are not from Minnesota. But as to your point there is a disparity. That disparity, I believe, can best be explained by the greater depth of talent that Minnesota boys have as compared to the girls. There are roughly twice as many boys playing high school hockey as girls, so there is a greater talent pool to be spread around. And it's also a matter of geography, as I would guess at least 90% of the D1-caliber girls are from the greater Twin Cities metropolitan area, where the Gophers - aided by their tremendous success over the past decade - have a clear recruiting edge. For whatever reason, girls youth and high school hockey in central and northern Minnesota has actually taken a step backwards in the past decade, at least compared to the strides the girls metro-area teams have made. That difference is not as evident with the boys, as the north continues to produce top quality talent year after year. And so it's not a coincidence that the D1 men's programs in St. Cloud and Duluth - not to mention North Dakota which has traditionally drawn heavily from NW Minnesota - all have recently enjoyed great success, especially compared to their women's programs (and to be honest, compared to the Gophers' men's team).

Of course there are many other factors, like recruiting strategies, facilities and coaching staffs, that very much enter into it. But I believe geography (where the players hail from) and numbers (both total and D1 level talent) help answer your question.
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  I have the line chart from last Friday's Minnesota/St. Cloud men's game, and of the 18 skaters dressed for SCSU the majority (10) are not from Minnesota. But as to your point there is a disparity. That disparity, I believe, can best be explained by the greater depth of talent that Minnesota boys have as compared to the girls. There are roughly twice as many boys playing high school hockey as girls, so there is a greater talent pool to be spread around. And it's also a matter of geography, as I would guess at least 90% of the D1-caliber girls are from the greater Twin Cities metropolitan area, where the Gophers - aided by their tremendous success over the past decade - have a clear recruiting edge. For whatever reason, girls youth and high school hockey in central and northern Minnesota has actually taken a step backwards in the past decade, at least compared to the strides the girls metro-area teams have made. That difference is not as evident with the boys, as the north continues to produce top quality talent year after year. And so it's not a coincidence that the D1 men's programs in St. Cloud and Duluth - not to mention North Dakota which has traditionally drawn heavily from NW Minnesota - all have recently enjoyed great success, especially compared to their women's programs (and to be honest, compared to the Gophers' men's team).

Of course there are many other factors, like recruiting strategies, facilities and coaching staffs, that very much enter into it. But I believe geography (where the players hail from) and numbers (both total and D1 level talent) help answer your question.
                  Thanks for taking the time to respond. Seems like SCSU is the last choice for top Minny kids who take less scholarship amounts to go elsewhere after being offered full rides from SCSU. Still think there is some talent available to get more Minny kids.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Seems like SCSU is the last choice for top Minny kids who take less scholarship amounts to go elsewhere after being offered full rides from SCSU. Still think there is some talent available to get more Minny kids.
                    Not so sure about that. Many Minnesota players choose to stay and play close to home and play at SCSU (or other state schools) instead of moving and playing far away. Then again there are many Minnesota girls who do choose to attend and play for far-away schools, including the prestigious Ivy's, but for whatever reason end up having limited or no success at the D1 level. But as you would expect that is not necessarily the case for the many top Minnesota kids who are recruited and continue to improve and end up making a huge impact at their program of choice, even it was originally not their first choice...

As the talent pool continues to grow we will see more parity, and based on results and scores this season, this process has now begun.
                    Last edited by D2D; 10-27-2016, 10:54 PM.
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

This Week in the Women's WCHA - October 28th
                      Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                      Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                      Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Final Score From Friday October 28th
                        UMD 6
                        Ohio State 0

Game Goes Quickly To The Dogs

Cinderella's carriage is supposed to turn into a pumpkin. At midnight. But not at 2:37 at the first period. A soft goal sucked... the air right out of the Buckeyes. Cinderella went home early to do some extra cleaning. Hopefully they got some things cleaned up in preparation for the rematch.

If the Buckeyes played the role of a dysfunctional Cinderella, were the Bulldogs the Ugly Stepsisters? Not at all. They came to town ready to rock, and were the life of the party.

The 3 Stars of the Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

Honorable Mention: The Ohio State Power Play
                        OK, the Buckeye PP went 0-5. But with the man advantage OSU had excellent puck movement and put 8 shots on goal, including their best scoring chances of the evening.

#3 Star: (tie) Maddie Rooney, UMD; and Catherine Johnson, UMD
                        The UMD keepers combined for the shutout. Though not severely tested during for much of the game, they were stellar during the penalty kills. UMD fans, forgive me if I'm wrong, but I believe this was Catherine's first appearance as a Bulldog. It went well.

#2 Star: (tie) Sydney Brodt, UMD; and Maria Lindh, UMD
                        UMD's second line was magnificent tonight. Yes, the early Lara Stalder goal set the tone. But the second line went out and won the game with three goals in a span of 2 minutes and 30 seconds late in the first period.

That group certainly had a nose for the net. A shot chart would show a crowded slot littered with numbers #14, #17, & #66. The entire line was +4 for the evening.

#1 Star: Katherine McGovern, UMD
                        #17 was the most efficient in pulling the trigger: 2 goals and 2 assists for a 4 point night. A very productive outing for McGovern, who more than deserves the top honor.

Up Next: Rematch With Minnesota-Duluth. Face-Off at 1:07PM. Let's hope the Fairy Godmother casts a different spell this time.

Comment

Final Score From Saturday October 29th
                          UMD 3
                          Ohio State 2

Good Tips For Your Hockey Viewing Pleasure

Special teams continued to be a strong point for the Ohio State. The Buckeye goals came on 2 pleasing tip plays. One came on a 5 on 4 Power Play; the other a 6 on 5 Extra Attacker Goal near the end of the game.

But alas, in 5 on 5 play, the Bulldogs had a significant territorial advantage, as well as a big edge in SOG. It was enough to gain the victory, and thus the sweep.

Despite the score and the shot totals, the Buckeyes performed much better in the rematch. In particular they were stronger in the defensive slot, keeping more shots to the outside, clearing rebounds and in general making things more challenging for their Bulldog opponents.

The 3 Stars of the Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

Ohio State Honorable Mention: (tie) Samantha Bouley, Maddy Field & Lauren Spring
                          These are the players that provided those skillful tips. On the PP Goal, Maddy was stationed in the high slot. She steered the puck to Lauren, who finished the bang-bang play with a tip of her own. The EAG was a bit more straightforward, but no less special. Parked a little above the slot on the left, Samantha directed a shot from the point into the net.

UMD Honorable Mention: Jessica Healy
                          There aren't a lot of stats to back up this choice, although Jessica did contribute an important assist. Rather I felt that Jessica was an effective leader on the Bulldog defense -- a defense that largely smothered the Buckeyes for the first two periods, then was able to hold the fort in the 3rd.

#3 Star: Jincy Dunne, Ohio State
                          Jincy doesn't overpower you. But she's calm, smooth, quick and smart. These qualities were much in evidence on special teams. Quarterbacking from the point, Jincy launched the initial shot on both tip plays. Not that this is some great secret, but the impact of the best players goes beyond their individual contributions. They make their teammates better. That's Jincy.

#2 Star: Ashleigh Brykaliuk, UMD
                          With Ashleigh, the stats help bolster my case: 7 SOG, 1 Goal and the Assist on the GWG. +1 for the game. But Brykaliuk also had the intangibles on her side. As always, she was a dynamic force on the ice. No stranger to my 3 Stars lists, it's been a pleasure to watch the Senior perform over the years.

#1 Star: Sidney Morin, UMD
                          Another defensive stalwart for the Bulldogs, Sidney deserves recognition for that reason alone. But this day, she also showed her scoring touch. With precision placement, she put the GWG just inside the right post, a few inches off the ice. An insurance goal at the time, it wound up being the difference-maker.

Morin is another member of the strong Senior Class at UMD. These Bulldogs are a veteran team, and are going to be a force to be reckoned with all year long.

Up Next: The Homestand continues with a pair of games against Lindenwood. Face-Off Times are 6:00 PM Friday and 2:00Pm Saturday. Note the Non-Conference Starting Times! Don't miss the first 7 minutes of the action.

Comment

I really think since Harrington took over, Mankato is the new queen of the chippy team, passing up the sue. I thought that last year and after seeing the games this last weekend, that thought is only reinforced. Anyone else see enough of them to agree or disagree?
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              I really think since Harrington took over, Mankato is the new queen of the chippy team, passing up the sue. I thought that last year and after seeing the games this last weekend, that thought is only reinforced. Anyone else see enough of them to agree or disagree?
                              Last year I thought they were aggressive but not out of line. I'll let you know Sunday, have not seen them yet this year. losing can get under your skin so it is not hard to imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                                Last year I thought they were aggressive but not out of line. I'll let you know Sunday, have not seen them yet this year. losing can get under your skin so it is not hard to imagine.
                                They had a great first period/UW had a bad first period Saturday, then UW clamped down on them and that must have been frustrating to think you have a chance, then you just can't do anything offensively.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X