Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 Women's World Championships

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
    do you also enjoy making fun of the handicapped?
    Yikes that's a bit of a jump...
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
      Nothing new for years in your last sentence. Don't ever see that changing, ever.
      In the past 10 years, the gap between the top two teams and the rest of the world appears to be growing, not shrinking. Without any evidence at all, I attribute this to the European teams treading water while the Americans and Canadians are getting better. It remains to be seen if the Americans are starting to put distance between themselves and the Canadians, but I believe Canada will respond appropriately, and future Canadian teams will feature enough speed to keep pace with the US.

However, any sport that continues to have such non-competitive quarterfinal and semifinal matches is going to have to justify continuing as an Olympic sport. The women's game is not really a world sport, but a regional one. I would love to be proven wrong, but that rarely occurs more than a dozen times a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
        In the past 10 years, the gap between the top two teams and the rest of the world appears to be growing, not shrinking.
        Hard to argue but I do think Finland exceeded expectations, having surprised Canada and giving the U.S. all they could handle, with the game very much still on the line until the empty netter in the final minute. But other than Finland I would agree that the other teams still don't have a realistic chance of upsetting the Americans or the Canadians. Sweden in particular has seemingly gone downhill since winning Silver in 2006.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

The semi finals were on TV (TSN) here and so will the Bronze Medal Game this afternoon. But no where to be found on TV here is the Gold Medal Game tonight. How does this make any sense? (Although it looks like it will be streamed on TSN 4 & 5).

Comment

do you also enjoy making fun of the handicapped? I don't think 11-0 is fun for anyone, not challenge for the winner, no chance for the loser and boring for the viewer. I'd rather watch a well contested game between equals. A sieve chant against ARD or Peters is a sign of respect, against someone being shelled it is an insult.
            All parties can gain something tangible from a butt kicking. The winner undoubtedly will have some players who probably don't get to contribute all the time get to contribute and they can gain some valuable playing time and confidence. The loser will have some players who learn from the experience and the the viewer such as me has a fun time watching. The opposing team's viewers can see some great play by the winner.

I like to play tennis. One summer I played weekly against a co-worker who was a lot better than me. I got crushed game after game but I still played. I had fun playing, trying to deal with this guy. If I won a game, I was pumped, though I lost 6-1 and he might have aced me 12 times. By the end of the summer instead of losing 6-0 or 6-1, I was only losing 6-3 or 6-4. I think the "Lindenwood" players feel/felt the same way I did, otherwise they would not play at all.

I have a daughter who IS mentally handicapped, she is my hockey buddy, and let me tell you, if we get to see UW score a bunch of goals, she's happier than me. She might say with an exclamation "8?!" and have the biggest grin on her face, you'd thin she won the ability to be "normal". She "loses" every day by our standards, but that big amazing win for the Badgers is a big win for her. I am thankful Maddy and I are in the position that we are associated with a team like UW that can give her some more reasons to be joyous and happy.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
              Yikes that's a bit of a jump...
              True, my bad. I really wanted to go with a big bully against a weak target but went the wrong way.

Having played on teams that won 11-0 and on teams that were totally outclassed I don't find either fun.

Comment

Having played on teams that won 11-0 and on teams that were totally outclassed I don't find either fun.
                My intramural hockey team lost 11-0 in the finals my senior year. It ended in a fight lol

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                  I wrote a (somewhat BC-focused) preview for tonight's game: http://www.bcinterruption.com/2017/4...ime-tv-channel
                  Corrected one sentence in your Bc centric article:

Bobby Orr (really), as she pioneered the program’s three-zone, below-the-goal-line, bomb’s-away defensive style that has made Boston College the 2nd most dominant team in the east (behind Clarkson)
                  Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                  And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                  WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                  If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

• Originally posted by vicb View Post
                    Corrected one sentence in your Bc centric article:

Bobby Orr (really), as she pioneered the program’s three-zone, below-the-goal-line, bomb’s-away defensive style that has made Boston College the 2nd most dominant team in the east (behind Clarkson)
                    You missed the important qualifier that I put: CONSISTENTLY

Comment

6-0 Finland. Shots are 23-4. This needs a Downfall meme.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        All parties can gain something tangible from a butt kicking.
                        true true true true. very much so. In fact, politically correct IIHF is doing the european teams a total disservice by grouping the B teams together who will never improve if they never play the A teams. hence, the current scoreline in Germany-Finland game right now. The IIHF wants nicey-nice scores to show the world that everything is fine in the land of women's hockey by sweeping parity problems under the rug. Shame on them.

Comment

i hate to say this but the IIHF/media will always put a european player in the all star team awards because it is the politically correct thing to do. In every tournament.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                            6-0 Finland. Shots are 23-4. This needs a Downfall meme.
                            8-0 after 2 periods. I'd say the wheels have definitely fallen off for Germany but I'd also have to clarify that their wheels are only on a horse-drawn wooden pull-cart in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              Sorry Kimosabe. We as in the United States of which, last I looked, I am a citizen thereof.

However, I understand and "they" would have been a more appropriate term.

But then what do I call the Canadians tonight??
                              Your post led me to think of my 2nd favorite TV show of the mid 50's co-staring a Mohawk who was born Harold John Smith in Ontario. It also led me to think that Canadians today might be referred to as "Putin's Pouty Pals Next-Door Neighbor Poutine Eaters." Too long. "The Devil" is better.

By the way, were you by any chance referring to Gary Larson's translation of the word "Kemosabe," which was not "faithful friend?"
                              Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 04-07-2017, 05:21 PM. Reason: Miss Langer, again
                              "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Three things I noticed as I watched the replay of the USA/Germany game this morning on the NHL channel. 1. It appears the somewhat "sleeping giants" of the first game Decker and Knight are now fully awake. Two. A few seconds before the play-by-play guy said it, I said, "I've never seen a delayed penalty last this long." 3. Hannah Brandt's expression looking up from inside Germany's net, priceless.
                                Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 04-07-2017, 05:02 PM.
                                "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Working...
                                X