Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Lakers 2016-17

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
    You can't cut Whitten lose for at least 8-9 years of coaching under his belt there. Crawford talked all season long on how other teams were so much stronger than Lake State and that is easy to fix. Get into the weight room and put on muscle. It's not hard to build strength and muscle. It just takes time and a desire to . Recruit better speed as we all know, speed kills. The team didn't seem to play well together at times and that has to be figured out why. Do something with the defense . Go back to hockey 101 if you have to and re-teach the defense how to play a good solid defense and defend their zone better. The team has talent but it got lost for some reason and they have to figure that out as well .
    Takes longer than 4 years to build a program. Hard to get better guys to commit or even answer your call. Do need to take account other things, ie team morale improving? Over all better play? Guys developing is key.

My guess Whitten learned a lot from what was going on at Tech and what needs to be done. Takes time and financial backing

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
      LSSU was never as far down as UAH was (and you can be thankful for that), but the big problem is that jumping out of the bottom 6th of D-I is a tough task. People think that our weather and girls will help us recruit, but we aren't getting top-flight talent. It takes time and money, especially in recruiting budgets for your coaches to get eyes on more players and find a kid that's been overlooked (maybe on a bad team) or isn't getting much time on a good one — an undersized guy, a late-bloomer, what-have-you. I mean, the Kalble pickup looks like a great get for the Lakers, but he was the last Fargo player to get on a D-I commit list and will be 20 when the season starts. He's the second-highest D scorer on a team that gets all their points up front.

Please don't think that I'm dogging on your program, because right now, Lake Superior is better than Alabama-Huntsville. It's just a tough spot to be in. At least LSSU has the three national titles.

GFM

Your honest input is always welcome Geof. The Lakers may not have been as low as Huntsville but Damon pretty much imploded the program his first year and he needed to or it would have taken even longer for it to turn around.

I think trying to keep players is going to be key. Hockey Inc needs to get up here to Lake State and educate these underclassmen.
      BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post
        I think trying to keep players is going to be key. Hockey Inc needs to get up here to Lake State and educate these underclassmen.
        The best thing that could happen is for Headrick to crater in the O and show any current and future Lakers that they're better off in the NCAA. As for departures, that's probably going to be an issue for the weaker teams in our league for some time to come.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
          The best thing that could happen is for Headrick to crater in the O and show any current and future Lakers that they're better off in the NCAA. As for departures, that's probably going to be an issue for the weaker teams in our league for some time to come.

GFM
          Wishing ill will on a great kid, all to protect this head coach who is in over his head and has never won, anywhere.

That's sick, man.

Comment

Originally posted by LakerBaker View Post
            Wishing ill will on a great kid, all to protect this head coach who is in over his head and has never won, anywhere.

That's sick, man.
            We all wish Owen the best but most of us think he made the wrong decision in leaving the program when he did. Now if he does get drafted and makes it to the NHL, then great it worked out well for him but honestly Randy, do you think that's possible? He hasn't been lighting it up in Erie. Primarily known as an offensive defenseman who can run a PP, he only has 5 pts in 20 games for the Otters. That .25 pts a game is much lower than the .63 ppg he was averaging playing for the Lakers this year and he now is playing against weaker and younger competition.

Comment

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
              We all wish Owen the best but most of us think he made the wrong decision in leaving the program when he did. Now if he does get drafted and makes it to the NHL, then great it worked out well for him but honestly Randy, do you think that's possible? He hasn't been lighting it up in Erie. Primarily known as an offensive defenseman who can run a PP, he only has 5 pts in 20 games for the Otters. That .25 pts a game is much lower than the .63 ppg he was averaging playing for the Lakers this year and he now is playing against weaker and younger competition.
              And when a kid leaves your program, you have to look out for yourselves going forward.

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by LakerBaker View Post

That's sick, man.
                Quick, name all the coaches that left LSSU with a winning record since Jeff Jackson left? Even JJ has said it would be very difficult at LSSU now. Do we fund the program more like NMU, Huntsville & Anchorage or like Tech, Mankato, Bowling Green & Bemidji? If the answer is the former!and it is), why would we expect more than a very occasional sniff at 5th or 6th? Why, with a less than NMU budget for travel, recruiting, coaches, player amenities would we expect the team to be with the programs that spend twice as much recruiting as we do. You don't get a Lexus when you go to the car lot and pay for that beater Chevy on the back row. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.

Comment

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
                  Quick, name all the coaches that left LSSU with a winning record since Jeff Jackson left? Even JJ has said it would be very difficult at LSSU now. Do we fund the program more like NMU, Huntsville & Anchorage or like Tech, Mankato, Bowling Green & Bemidji? If the answer is the former!and it is), why would we expect more than a very occasional sniff at 5th or 6th? Why, with a less than NMU budget for travel, recruiting, coaches, player amenities would we expect the team to be with the programs that spend twice as much recruiting as we do. You don't get a Lexus when you go to the car lot and pay for that beater Chevy on the back row. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.
                  I understand that LSSU is facing tremendous challenges with a declining enrollment but I wonder how much the Laker hockey budget aligns with the rest of the teams in the conference. I was under the impression that the program is funded well but that the administration has had to deal with a restless faculty who wants cuts in the athletic budget to help offset costs.

Comment

• Originally posted by jnacc View Post
                    I understand that LSSU is facing tremendous challenges with a declining enrollment but I wonder how much the Laker hockey budget aligns with the rest of the teams in the conference. I was under the impression that the program is funded well but that the administration has had to deal with a restless faculty who wants cuts in the athletic budget to help offset costs.
                    The team has been among the lowest funded in the WCHA and was for many years in the CCHA as well. The Lakers head coach is the lowest paid in the league and his predecessor made less than some assistants in college hockey. That should indicate how the program is funded.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

According to collegehockeyinc.com, 70% of NHL players who played college hockey spent at least 3 years on campus. Odds are against the early departure kids, lots of flameouts for kids that would have been better off in the long run sticking around in more ways than one.

http://collegehockeyinc.com/articles...homecoming.php

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                        According to collegehockeyinc.com, 70% of NHL players who played college hockey spent at least 3 years on campus. Odds are against the early departure kids, lots of flameouts for kids that would have been better off in the long run sticking around in more ways than one.

http://collegehockeyinc.com/articles...homecoming.php

I agree with Red down in AA if a kid is NHL ready then by all means chase your dream. It's the ones that are signed way to early because they have size or skating ability so the signing team takes them as a project. I understand the kids are trying to achieve their goal of reaching the show and it's sad that they don't realize the NHL team isn't concerned about what's best for the player. It's just business and if they take enough stabs they just might find a diamond in the rough.
                        BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                          The team has been among the lowest funded in the WCHA and was for many years in the CCHA as well. The Lakers head coach is the lowest paid in the league and his predecessor made less than some assistants in college hockey. That should indicate how the program is funded.
                          Ha. I thought UAA had that category won hands down. BTW, does your school give the "cost of attendance" stipend? I have been trying to figure out which schools in the WCHA are paying that, but there isn't much out there on the subject.
                          Originally Posted by aparch
                          I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                            Ha. I thought UAA had that category won hands down. BTW, does your school give the "cost of attendance" stipend? I have been trying to figure out which schools in the WCHA are paying that, but there isn't much out there on the subject.
                            LSSU does not pay the COA stipend.

Comment

Working...
                            X