Imaginatively Appropriate Nicknames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imaginatively Appropriate Nicknames

Not imaginatively appropriate: a fraternity brother with surname of Hyman receiving the nickname "Buster."

Imaginatively appropriate: a person who traveled in our circles who had a big nose and who also liked to drink lots of beer. While we all knew how his nickname was pronounced, none of us were quite sure sure how his nickname was spelled, since both "Two-can" and "Toucan" were apropos.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Re: Imaginatively Appropriate Nicknames

Whomever came up with "Sanctorum" for a particular candidate for the Republican Presidential nomination scores points in this thread as well.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      Not imaginatively appropriate: a fraternity brother with surname of Hyman receiving the nickname "Buster."

Imaginatively appropriate: a person who traveled in our circles who had a big nose and who also liked to drink lots of beer. While we all knew how his nickname was pronounced, none of us were quite sure sure how his nickname was spelled, since both "Two-can" and "Toucan" were apropos.
      I suggest to a guy that he should make his rap name Busta Hymen.
      Twitter: DanMountSports
      2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

I had a fraternity brother whose last name was Pappas. In time, this became Pap-a*s. Then Flap-a*s. Finally, just Flap.
        2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

I hate nicknames.

Comment

When I played bouncyball as a freshman in HS, I was 5'6" 106lbs, so the team nicknamed me "Bones" as in skin-n-bones.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
              Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
              I suggest to a guy that he should make his rap name Busta Hymen.
              My brother's band was called the Buster Hyman band. They had to change it when no bar in town would put their name signs to advertise that they were playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
                My brother's band was called the Buster Hyman band. They had to change it when no bar in town would put their name signs to advertise that they were playing.
                This isn't about band names, but I've always thought Kinky Friedman and The Texas Jewboys had a ring to it.
                2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Given the passions aroused in people both pro and con, I'm a bit surprised no good nickname for 0webama has developed yet....

My personal favorite would be to take the Alfred E. Neuman "What, Me Worry?" poster and adjust it...there is a bit of a resemblence which you could see too if I could only figure out how to post the picture here....

Comment

my son's soccer team has a kid they call "soup"...took me a few weeks to figure out his last name is Campbell. I thought that was pretty good for a bunch of kids.
                    I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

A friend of mine has a son who's nickname is Critter. He's basically been called that, even by his parents, since birth (as in "He's a cute little critter").

One time, my friend was coaching his son and others on a peewee hockey team and was explaining to them that all hockey players have nicknames. After trying out a few of their own, some of the players made the comment, "But Critter needs a nickname, too."

Critter's in his 20's now. They still call him Critter. In fact, I have no idea what his real name is.
                      Cornell '82

"The first time I went to a Cornell game, I was in awe. I'm a big believer that sports fans should get out and see everything -- the Indy 500, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby. I've seen all that, and there's nothing like Lynah Rink." - Carl McKee, father of Cornell Goalie, David McKee

Comment

Working...
                      X