This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

Okay, so we're doing Thanksgiving tomorrow, because of that Packer game we all insisted on not interfering with Turkey Day.

Mrs. EoDS, ever the iconoclast, wants to do Cornish Game Hens in lieu of the normal poultry arrangements (mostly because I refused to budge on some of the side dishes).

So here I am, with 10 thawed Cornish Game hens, ready to put my plan together for cooking them tomorrow... and only a faint idea of how I'll do it. What I do know:
    • I'll put some fresh rosemary, butter and some dry seasoning between the skin and the breasts, then a light salt/pepper on the outside.
    • I have a Nesco roaster, which would probably be better so I can keep my regular oven available for sides.
    • Most recipes I see online call for a set amount of time (60-90 minutes, for instance) at a set temperature (say, 425), but...
    • My best success with Turkey (that's required the least amount of basting) has been to cook it at a super hot temp for 1/2 hour, then turn it down and cook through. I'm wondering if there's a similar technique I can do with 10 ****ed hens in a roaster.

Any suggestions? Really the part that I'm stuck on is time/temperature. And maybe if I should throw some aromatics/lemon wedges in the cavity.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I got nothin'. with that many I wonder if you need to put them in for a bit longer.

I usually put a clove of garlic, slightly mashed, a hunk of thyme and some rosemary in the cavity. You can also pour a little white wine in the cavity if you are really getting crazy.

Comment

Deconstructed turkey turned out awesome, the breast was a juicy as I have ever made one, even better than the deep fried one. The breast was a little behind schedule to get to 165, so I upped the temp 10 degrees with 45 minutes left and we only at 4 minutes late. Thighs were a tad dry, I should have temped them and pulled them ahead of the breast (breast had the hard wired thermometer for constant monitoring) . The stuffing was awesome with the turkey juices giving it awesome flavor. Pulling the entire breast off the bone and then carving is the bomb, so easy and less messy.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

If I can share one bit of holiday baking wisdom this year, it's this: avoid anything with the phrase "finely chopped dried figs" unless you are actually buying the figs already finely chopped. That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
            If I can share one bit of holiday baking wisdom this year, it's this: avoid anything with the phrase "finely chopped dried figs" unless you are actually buying the figs already finely chopped. That is all.
            I'm curious as to how this wisdom came about...
            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
            Patreon for exclusive writing content
            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
              Did you try using scissors, and/or occasionally dunking your blade(s) in hot water?

I do the water trick all the time when mincing garlic, except obviously I use a chef's knife.

Comment

freeze them first.

Comment

Another trick is using non-stick spray on your knife.
                  Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                  Patreon for exclusive writing content
                  Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Food processor?
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      Food processor?
                      Too much to clean for chopping one item.

Great for salsa and garlic sauce though.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Is it really though? I mean, toss the bowl in the dishwasher and clean the blade with a sponge/towel/whatever. Really it's a marginal extra effort compared to using a knife and cutting board.
                        Code:
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Food processor won't cleanly chop sticky, gummy things very well.
                          Repeatedly spraying the knife/dipping the knife seems like more effort than just chopping and dealing with stickiness.
                          Freezing would work nicely. Don't know why I didn't think of that - I do it with soft cheese.

Comment

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/butt...uash-lasagna-1
                            Made this. YUUUUUUMMMMMY

Comment

I am done. Somewhere in the neighborhood of of 1280 cookies (I didn't count the bark).

Better than I thought: cherry pistachio biscotti, hot cocoa cookies
                              Slightly disappointed: chestnut fingers, fig spirals, GF molasses did not turn out as well as last year

Rice Krispie trees were a pain in the *** to decorate, but they're very cute and festive.

Ended up making cherry apricot bark instead of ginger bark. I haven't tried the fruitcake yet - wanted to let it sit a little longer. Getting everything packaged up tomorrow.

Comment

Bourbon chocolate balls. Holy ****.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X