Dartmouth Hockey 2016-17 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Dartmouth Hockey 2016-17 Season

It's almost game time as the Big Green squares off against Harvard. Let's hope they can build off their come-from-behind win vs a good Cornell team. They will undoubtedly face a Harvard squad looking for revenge after the their 8-4 loss to the Big Green, week and half ago. I do not envision this game opening up like crazy, knowing both starting goalies were chased. It should be a little tighter checking with a much lower score. Go BIG Green!

Comment

Big Green gets clearly outplayed as Harvard exacts revenge where their skill and speed played out. The possession time in all three zones for Harvard must of had Corsi jumping for joy. Now this was the Harvard I expected the first time out. Fox was the best player on the ice with deft, seeking, and patient passing style. Madsen made some huge saves on our PP, especially the cross ice pass through the box from Yau to Crema leading to a one-timer; Madsen went from his left post to his right. That was a quasi momentum shifter as Harvard controlled play but only up 2-0. If that goes in, who knows with a 2-1 game. Madsen also made a great save on Kalk's point blank shot. Coverage in the D zone was spotty at best for the Big Green; they were either outnumbered on counters/rushes or when they had numbers back, they had too many puck-watchers and not keeping an eye on other Harvard players especially in the dangerous slot. Interesting as Strong and Ernsting were scratches (could be sickness/injured) for I believe may have been their first time all year.

Comment

The Question is which Dartmouth team is going to show up next weekend? The one definite hallmark of Dartmouth teams is inconsistency

Comment

• Originally posted by eddieshack23 View Post
          The Question is which Dartmouth team is going to show up next weekend? The one definite hallmark of Dartmouth teams is inconsistency
          Good of you to help out your fellow fan BIG Green on this thread. I probably posted before when UNH visited Hanover in late December, but great screen name in eddieshack. It took us a few years, but we finally have a viable Bentley thread, although Bentley and Dartmouth have a long ways to catch up with my alma mater UNH season threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
            Good of you to help out your fellow fan BIG Green on this thread. I probably posted before when UNH visited Hanover in late December, but great screen name in eddieshack. It took us a few years, but we finally have a viable Bentley thread, although Bentley and Dartmouth have a long ways to catch up with my alma mater UNH season threads.
            Hey Snively65 and eddieshack23, thanks for chiming in; great appreciated. Yes, the only consistency the Big Green has thus far is that they are INCONSISTENT! Having only 3-4 seniors probably plays a role into this so with that said lookout for the next couple of years...that's NOT to say that they are waving the white flag this season. As a recent reminder, just look at last year's run into Lake Placid, losing to Q in the semi's 3-1. I just wished there are other Big Green fans/posters out there other than myself of following them game in and game out.

Comment

Well, its game weekend with cold and snow...it's hockey weather! In all seriousness, hope all travels with teams, fans, etc arrive and depart safely. The Big Green hosts RPI and Union this weekend. RPI is much improved and will provide a challenge while Union poses a whole other problem with great scoring and goaltending. In their first game against Union, Big Green was in a tight battle until a very iffy call while a goal down and on a PP went against them. Union pulled away from there and then. These are huge games (aren't they all at this point) as the Big Green scratches and claws to finish in the top 8 thus hosting a first round playoff match up. Go BIG GREEN!

Comment

A win is a win and the Big Green aren't giving it back, speaking to the lack of flow and ugliness of this game; it was just whistle after whistle. RPI controlled play for the first 5 minutes of the game then the game evened out and perhaps went in Big Green's favor. There were hardly any gaining the zone with possession and making plays as Big Green plays their chip/chase game. After a long review the refs called off a potential Big Green goal by Cam Strong. I believe Kilistoff was in the crease although nudged by their d man. It did not look like it directly impacted the play as the players were jostling for position just off to the right of the goalie who saw the shot the whole way. By the way it was ruled a goal on the ice. Oh well....back to hockey. Finally Hartley puts a wrister from the mid high point that founds its way through the 7 hole. Then he adds a EN at the end although RPI potted one right afterwards with an EA. Randoms thought/comments: Forwards Graber and Opperman played D and did fine as Yau was injured and did not dress. Graber was the best Big Green on the ice. Warpecha was scratched I believe for the first time all year (injured/illness or just sat). Ernsting had some nice dangerous passes leading to scoring chances in both the neutral and O zone after having been scratched last game. Buffalo was solid in a tight game stopping a breakaway. Bourbannais was RPI's best on the ice. Union will be fighting mad after a loss to Hahvaard so Big Green let's match and exceed that their intensity. Let's make it a 2-fer this weekend as Princeton is breathing down our backs!

Comment

Mama told me you will have days like these and the Big Green at a game like this. Really there is not much more to be said but for the sake of keeping fans informed I will. Actually the Big Green was the better team in the beginning of the game with nice extended zone time and pressure but that came to a screeching halt when Graber had the puck on his blue line inside the dots mind you, when he inexplicably ran into the linesman (not the trailing ref) causing him to lose possession and in goes a Union player on a breakaway blue line in. It was a text book check from the linesman LOL. From there it went downhill, you name it: puck battles, puck bounces, etc Big Green even had an open net only to have the puck land on top of net instead of in it for a goal. Yes, it was of those nights. Buffalo gets pulled and Clark comes in cold a let's in the very first shot he faces while off his angle. Yes it was one of those nights. Crema scores two goals in garbage time in the 3rd to make half way respectable; he is quietly having a nice season. The Big Green had several odd man chances but failed to execute and capitalize on them like Union did; that's the main difference...lack of DIFFERENCE MAKERS! Let's be very clear, Union is the better team in all this. IMHO Foo will move on to the next level as I have seen his skill but I also saw a "bite" to his game last night as well. Good for him! Vecchione has dead head speed with the puck allowing him to back off defenders and create/make plays; other players may have that same speed but cannot execute the positive outcome like he can. Kudos to him as he also moves on to the next level. Let's puts this behind and get back on that horse. Get em' BIG GREEN!

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
                    Mama told me you will have days like these and the Big Green at a game like this. Really there is not much more to be said but for the sake of keeping fans informed I will. Actually the Big Green was the better team in the beginning of the game with nice extended zone time and pressure but that came to a screeching halt when Graber had the puck on his blue line inside the dots mind you, when he inexplicably ran into the linesman (not the trailing ref) causing him to lose possession and in goes a Union player on a breakaway blue line in. It was a text book check from the linesman LOL. From there it went downhill, you name it: puck battles, puck bounces, etc Big Green even had an open net only to have the puck land on top of net instead of in it for a goal. Yes, it was of those nights. Buffalo gets pulled and Clark comes in cold a let's in the very first shot he faces while off his angle. Yes it was one of those nights. Crema scores two goals in garbage time in the 3rd to make half way respectable; he is quietly having a nice season. The Big Green had several odd man chances but failed to execute and capitalize on them like Union did; that's the main difference...lack of DIFFERENCE MAKERS! Let's be very clear, Union is the better team in all this. IMHO Foo will move on to the next level as I have seen his skill but I also saw a "bite" to his game last night as well. Good for him! Vecchione has dead head speed with the puck allowing him to back off defenders and create/make plays; other players may have that same speed but cannot execute the positive outcome like he can. Kudos to him as he also moves on to the next level. Let's puts this behind and get back on that horse. Get em' BIG GREEN!
                    Furthermore, to add insult to injury...Princeton comes back from two goals down and beats Clarkson in OT. With that comeback victory, Princeton catapults the Big Green (for now) into the important 8th position with a point lead. It is important to note that the Big Green wins any tie-breaker just amongst these two as they won both meetings this season. Yale and Colgate will ultimately factor into this jockeying as well!

Comment

My 5th visit to Thompson Arena to watch the Green and the Dutchmen. Nice building, nice staff, nice crowds. Dartmouth does things right. Thanks for another enjoyable evening. (And Union win!!) :-)

Comment

Originally posted by YouSeeAlum View Post
                        My 5th visit to Thompson Arena to watch the Green and the Dutchmen. Nice building, nice staff, nice crowds. Dartmouth does things right. Thanks for another enjoyable evening. (And Union win!!) :-)
                        Our pleasure even with the win! Glad you enjoyed it! How about doing things right with W's? LOL!

Comment

The Green desperately need offense,Crema can't do it alone although he has been trying to

Comment

Originally posted by eddieshack23 View Post
                            The Green desperately need offense,Crema can't do it alone although he has been trying to
                            I agree with 100%....they are in dire need of impact players/difference makers who can make plays. Crema has been the most consistent of the mostly inconsistent players.

Comment

The Big Green travels to Brown and Yale this weekend. This should be called the revenge weekend as the Big Green lost to both of them in Hanover. In the Brown tilt, they were up 2-0 early but could not seal the deal as a persistent Brown team came back and won in OT. The Yale game, well just forget about it, in a blow out loss. A four point weekend is a must with a three point as last resort to secure a home ice first round playoffs. In looking at the Big Green game notes, it sure will be great to get Yau back from injury to both add stability to a under-manned D core and jump start the offense both 5 on 5 and on QBing the PP. If there was ever a time for Buffalo to stand on his head, it is now. D must be positionally sound while the O will role 4 lines of constant and relentless energy. Revenge and 8 point swing weekend....it is yours for the taking, Big Green! What do you say?!!!

Comment

Ahh, that same regular first cup of coffee in the morning tastes so much better! Why? The Big Green holds on to a persistent Brown team for the BIG W! Why? That coupled with Yale, Princeton, and Colgate losses. Last night's games/outcome was the best possible scenario for the Big Green! Now back to last night's game. You could not tell that the Big Green won as Brown took it to them in the first maybe 3 minutes of the game scoring two early goals, as result of poor D decisions. Then the Big Green stabilized and took control with major O zone zone time, assisted by both Brown being hemmed in their D zone and also their turnovers. Finally Jasiek puts a perfect cross ice pass to Opperman crashing the far post with stick on the ice for a nice controlled tip in. Opperman was just getting started as he scores 2 more for his first hattie of his career. Graber passes it weakside as the Brown PK unit including the goalie over pursues and leaves Opperman wide open for an easy open net goal. The back breaker for Brown was Kalk's harmless shot on goal that somehow beat Nieto to make it 3-2 Big Green. In addition to Opperman, Graber continues to impress; he has sneaky hands and good feet for a big man. He seems like a better passer as a D man than a forward but that would make sense as most of the play should be ahead of him. Mark my word, Graber will be a STUD when he is finished. The return of Yau helped the back end as he was paired with Roth. It looked like the pairing of Shoup/Han struggled. While Buffalo was Ok he needs to be better if the Big Green were to make a push. The only negative was surrendering two late goals to make it interesting, including a potential game-tying goal clanging off the cross bar as time expired. Let's keep that big MO for the Yale game tonight. Here is the classic 4-pointer!

Comment

Working...
                                X