Minnesota Gophers Season Thread - 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Gophers Season Thread - 2016-2017

Would agree with most comments. Smart total team series by the team, excellent team defense Saturday. Collins appears to be playing better. I think I only saw one minor lapse from him all weekend.

I've been pleasantly surprised with the sophomores overall. I was a bit skeptical of Novak, Gates, etc. But the group appears to have grown into their roles. And will probably be here for four.

Oh and I'm ready to give next year's C to Lindgren. A little facetious, but he is amazingly tough for being less than 10 games into college and I'd love that fearless on ice attitude in a C.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
      Smart total team series by the team, excellent team defense Saturday.

Oh and I'm ready to give next year's C to Lindgren. A little facetious, but he is amazingly tough for being less than 10 games into college and I'd love that fearless on ice attitude in a C.
      Agreed, on the team defense. How many blocked shots did the Gophers have on Saturday? My goodness, it seemed like every other shift a guy was hobbling off the ice from blocking a shot. Everyone was selling out!

Lindgren has some grit for sure. He'll have a letter on his chest at some point for sure if he sticks around.
      "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

I like Lindgren, that kid is going to be good.

The cammy\reilly thing, I would put reilly out there before cammy every game. Sorry but cammy is a liability out there with his skating (lack of) and d, you can't expect to be in the lineup when that is part of your game. Hope tDon doesn't get stupid with this. At least reilly was working hard and throwing his body around a little on Saturday night.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          Would agree with most comments. Smart total team series by the team, excellent team defense Saturday. Collins appears to be playing better. I think I only saw one minor lapse from him all weekend.

I've been pleasantly surprised with the sophomores overall. I was a bit skeptical of Novak, Gates, etc. But the group appears to have grown into their roles. And will probably be here for four.

You must not be on GPL or reading it enough if you are saying something positive about Collins. Don't you know he is responsible for every loss the Gophers have, including the future ones?

And yes, seems like a couple years since a Soph class has progressed from the freshman year. I realize it is hit or miss when some kids will plateau, but seems like there has been a couple years in a row of more disappointments than guys who you've noticed a big step. Add to that the fact Vinnie seems to have made his biggest step from last to this year, and it adds to the team.

Comment

You must not be on GPL if you're not aware a lot of posters have spoken out on his behalf of late and several others have been coming around on his contributions. There will always be some fans that give one player the Harrington treatment every year but not only is that true of every fan base, but it's not overly representative of the actual conversations that take place. But you're better than they are I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              You must not be on GPL if you're not aware a lot of posters have spoken out on his behalf of late and several others have been coming around on his contributions. There will always be some fans that give one player the Harrington treatment every year but not only is that true of every fan base, but it's not overly representative of the actual conversations that take place. But you're better than they are I guess.
              Yes. When I talk about those on GPL, I mean every single person who posts there.

But maybe I meant the ones in general who you refer to who always seem to have a whipping boy defenseman, whether Harrington, Fischer, Ness, etc. etc. etc. they are typically a higher touted one coming in who doesn't meet his potential, so is under a microscope, and often portrayed as not just coming up short of their potential, but as being the worst D on the team and a major contributor to the teams problems that year.

And I have read that some people have a better opinion of him this year, (I read GPL regularly) but some of those people aren't saying much more than 'yes, he was ok in his last game or two". But it just seems there will always be that group who will pick a D to criticize each year and unfairly criticize, just like there will be the Lucia haters until he wins 3 in a row.

If I can't make fun of those people, why have these boards?

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post

So we can rip on each other?

Comment

My opinion is that it came off a bit holier than thou is all. There are several posters there that stopped posting here because of (insert criticism here) right or wrong. Some of the reasons are similar to what's been stated here in reverse. I don't begrudge either viewpoint in general but I try to be a bit more open minded on the pros/cons of both forums.

Comment

My opinion is that it came off a bit holier than thou is all. There are several posters there that stopped posting here because of (insert criticism here) right or wrong. Some of the reasons are similar to what's been stated here in reverse. I don't begrudge either viewpoint in general but I try to be a bit more open minded on the pros/cons of both forums.
                    I don't think this forum is better than GPL. I read GPL all the time but have just never started posting there. I think there is something more to the departure of the people from this site than comments made here about other posters or forums. Look at any of the former rival fanbases. They also lost lots of posters in recent years. I think this forum fostered a lot of the rivalries among fans that were lost with the rearrangement of conferences. I think that probably played the biggest role in the decline of USCHO posters.

As for comments about poster having defensive scapegoats or a hate Lucia club, there are just not enough posters left on USCHO to have groups of like-minded people like that to make fun of here.

So I was not criticizing GPL posters as a whole, but only those people who seemingly every year seem to think any problems the Gophs are having are caused by one D who came in highly touted and hasn't turned into the next Hobey candidate (Or yells 'fire Lucia' at the first 2 game losing streak). I think they tend to be people who aren't as familiar with the game so pick out something they can see to talk about. And I do think some of them sometimes go overboard on criticism of kids in their teens or early twenties, considering when there are issues, it is usually much broader than the one person. For example, I had a couple people tell me they thought David Fischer WAS the reason the Gophers weren't playing better. He could have a good game but one mistake that maybe didn't cause a goal would be all that a person like that could recall the next day. I think with a few posters, it can get to the point of being unfair. As for referring to people on GPL, those people are no longer here, or not enough to make a group.

(Sorry, now I am going.) An example is a couple people criticizing Collins for not picking up Jost on the goal from behind the net. I love Bischoff, but he overplayed Jost and Jost made a turn most college players wouldn't make to get free. Collins was covering a guy in front of the net and was in position he could have put a body on him, possibly, but I don't think Collins even saw him coming, as he probably didn't expect the Jost turn anymore than Jake did. Mostly, it was a great play by Jost, but second most responsible was Bischoff. If Collins had seen him coming and was able to move fast enough to put a body on Jost before he shot, it would have been a good play, but I wouldn't characterize it as a missed play, which is what a couple seemed to imply.

And for a few of the posters, they started to give minor credit for Collins play just in the last game, whereas I think he has shown improvement and in the St. Cloud series was actually playing with some intensity in his own zone at times the forwards were just standing around.

So sometimes I feel the need to defend those guys that turn into scapegoats for some of the posters. Not an indictment of GPL as a whole.
                    Last edited by Koho; 11-09-2016, 08:04 PM.

Comment

It was all understood before that.

And I made the same comment about Collins on the Jost goal as well that you did above - that he was already covering a man in front of the net and the move Jost made to get free is more on the 2 Gophers that were behind the net than on Collins. I think there was only 1 goal of the 5 that anyone could say Collins had a hand in, but he also made a nifty move to keep the puck in the zone that led to the Gophers 5th goal. You're right some fans have been slow to come around but that's going to happen everywhere. No worries.

Comment

Knock knock.

A lot of UND fans we were both surprised and impressed to see how many blocked shots the gophers had, particularly on Sat night. When the players are willing to go down and block shots, the team has a pretty high ceiling, IMO, particularly when it has the kind of talent UMn traditionally has. This may be nothing new for gopher teams, but it was surprising to many of us who haven't been able to watch them in recent years.

Comment

It was all understood before that.
                          well, I was butchering a deer yesterday and not looking forward to getting back to it, so the more I wrote, the loger I couuld procrastinate.

That, and there used to be a time (just a couple years ago) where there were enough posters to actually have a discourse on such a subject. Look now what page we are on. The season thread will make it to about 10 pages this year at this rate.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                            Knock knock.

A lot of UND fans we were both surprised and impressed to see how many blocked shots the gophers had, particularly on Sat night. When the players are willing to go down and block shots, the team has a pretty high ceiling, IMO, particularly when it has the kind of talent UMn traditionally has. This may be nothing new for gopher teams, but it was surprising to many of us who haven't been able to watch them in recent years.
                            From what I have seen of this year's team, that was a more consistent effort than they had shown. I missed watching one of the games out East, and they played fairly well in the Friday game (came back to win from 3 down in the first). But against St. Clown, they were way more tentative in their own zone and gave the Huskies a lot more time and space and weren't in position to block as many. So we're hoping this last weekend is more the trend. It does seem like it could be turning into the type of team that really plays as a team. There is not a dominant line to rely on but there is scoring potential on all lines. Many of the players seem to have taken the next step from last year, which wasn't always the case in the last couple seasons. Goalie started out average but hopefully Saturday's game is a sign he is returning to last year's form. And the defense is a year older with a couple freshman who for the most part seemed to be doing a better job of stepping in at this level than the average freshman D. So there is cautious optimism in Gopherdom for the team. And with the B1G not being as pathetic in OOC games so far this year, the chances of at least making the dance look much better than last. But there is a long way to go....

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                              Knock knock.

That's definitely the thing that stuck out for me in the Saturday game. Not something I recall seeing much of over the past few years, at least not a sustained effort like that seemingly throughout an entire game. It was nice to see.
                              "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

I think there is something more to the departure of the people from this site than comments made here about other posters or forums. Look at any of the former rival fanbases. They also lost lots of posters in recent years. I think this forum fostered a lot of the rivalries among fans that were lost with the rearrangement of conferences. I think that probably played the biggest role in the decline of USCHO posters.
                                I think the main reason for the decline of posting on USCHO is social networking has taken over. Now people can argue on twitter and other places, where they couldn't do that a few years ago.

But yes, being in the B1G doesn't help either.

Comment

Working...
                                X