2012 UAA Offseason Thread - State of Confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdman View Post
    Athletics, well except for hockey, UAA is better because it recruit the better athletes in Anchorage.
    The difference is coaching, plain and simple. UAA has had better coaches in the "other" sports. UAF had an all-world (by D2 standards) basketball player in Parrish West and our basketball team was still horrible because Clem Johnson couldn't coach a junior high team, let alone NCAA.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
      And you know why that is? Funding.
      UA has invested significantly in UAA over the last 15-20 years, and I don't buy the "Regents hate UAA" argument when the majority of regents are from Anchorage. UAA has some great programs and attributes, but it needs to beef up academics (e.g. PhD programs).

The whole UA system is under-funded. It isn't just UAA.
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Re: 2012 UAA Offseason Thread - State of Confusion

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
        UA has invested significantly in UAA over the last 15-20 years, and I don't buy the "Regents hate UAA" argument when the majority of regents are from Anchorage. UAA has some great programs and attributes, but it needs to beef up academics (e.g. PhD programs).
        The whole UA system is under-funded. It isn't just UAA.
        I know they have to toss some money at the largest campus in the state system but the phD programs are held tightly in the frozen north if they didn't have them who would realy want to attend there except to go to the research centers and maybe get a cushy overpaid job at the center's to prop up the _airbanks economy. I expect the northlander's will be in high whine and have extra large cardboard signs when the Jets leave for JBER from Eielson to never return.
        Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
        UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
          I know they have to toss some money at the largest campus in the state system but the phD programs are held tightly in the frozen north if they didn't have them who would realy want to attend there except to go to the research centers and maybe get a cushy overpaid job at the center's to prop up the _airbanks economy. I expect the northlander's will be in high whine and have extra large cardboard signs when the Jets leave for JBER from Eielson to never return.
          We don't use all our extra money for education. We use it to bribe the regents...makes for a nice self-sustaining economy. And we've paid off the refs in the Governor's Cup for three years running. Brandon Knelson's penalty shot was well-planned and executed to perfection.

Comment

After joining the WCHA, Brush averaged 12 wins, Talafous 10, Hill 9 and Shyiak 11. Want a coach like Pearson to come to Anchorage? Be prepared to more than double Shyiak's salary and the assistants too.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
              Leave Anchorage once in a while and you will find something new, ALASKA.

Comment

Chris Crowell has been named Captain for next season, & Matt Bailey Assistant Captain. Also on the release i noticed We are playing Univeristy of Regina in our exhibition game, Then Air Force, & Caninsus in the Kendall.
                Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Your home schedule is out: http://www.goseawolves.com/ViewArtic...CLID=205387097

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    And you can assume one road game, March 1 against UAF.
                    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Brutal home schedule IMO. All the teams on here are tough.

For those too lazy to look, we have Minnesota, St. Cloud State, Minnesota-Duluth, Wisconsin, Mankato, Colorado College, and UAF. Don't forget the Kendall Classic as well.
                      Go 'Wolves!

Comment

Originally posted by seawolffan View Post
                        Brutal home schedule IMO. All the teams on here are tough.

For those too lazy to look, we have Minnesota, St. Cloud State, Minnesota-Duluth, Wisconsin, Mankato, Colorado College, and UAF. Don't forget the Kendall Classic as well.
                        Not to mention two neutral site games in the Brice Goal Rush at UA_.

Comment

I know it's been a while since I've posted in a UAA-related thread, and perhaps, with me being an adult and elsewhere now, I'm officially a little out of the loop. And, yes, I know that we rarely talk about bouncyball here for obvious reasons. But I'm enraged and really need to vent.

Between the new on-campus sports complex not having ice and an absolutely wretched 2012 Great Alaska Shootout field that, mind you, was aided by a $2 million state subsidy, I am convinced Steve Cobb's brain is actually a rancid jar of apple sauce.

Cobb has taken everything I loved about UAA athletics back when I was a kid and has turned it all into an enormous pile of horse poop.

That is all. May you all have a great day. I'm going to go vomit with rage.
                          Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                          66 - 86 - 07
                          59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                          59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                            ... I'm officially a little out of the loop.
                            Correct.

Between the new on-campus sports complex not having ice and an absolutely wretched 2012 Great Alaska Shootout field that, ... I am convinced Steve Cobb's brain is actually a rancid jar of apple sauce.
                            Blame the NCAA's retooling of preseason tournament rules for the demise of the Shootout. The Shootout used to be "it" ... now there's lots of "its".

Cobb has taken everything I loved about UAA athletics back when I was a kid and has turned it all into an enormous pile of horse poop.
                            Incorrect.

That is all. May you all have a great day. I'm going to go vomit with rage.
                            Education is a prophylactic for ignorance-induced nausea.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                              Blame the NCAA's retooling of preseason tournament rules for the demise of the Shootout. The Shootout used to be "it" ... now there's lots of "its".
                              Blame ESPN for pulling the plug on the TV contract too.
                              Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Originally posted by seawolfpunk View Post
                                Blame ESPN for pulling the plug on the TV contract too.
                                Blame ESPN for starting a competing tournament.
                                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Working...
                                X