X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SCOTUS 10: Pack the Court!

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    No, in fact you're cheering them on for making voting harder.
    We could've just saved ourselves like 3 pages of posts if he just said he's cynically for it because it'll help his side

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
    I spend most of my time lurking in the Cafe, thought as an Ohio guy I'd add one tidbit to the mix that hasn't been discussed, that being the rules aren't being applied evenly across the state. Purging of the roles in counties with lots of guys named Billy Ray Jim Bob has not been happening with equal frequency as in counties with lots of people with the last name of Jackson. With this law now codified, the party in power (Republican or Democrat) has a weapon to selectively pick and choose who gets to vote. To me, THAT's the issue, not whether some dotard skipped out on voting in the past 3 elections.

Back to the sidelines.
    Right, there was a Reuters article that showed the impact was mainly in Cleveland, Cinci, and other dem strongholds with a lot of black voters.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
      Nobody's complaining that they don't magically appear. We are complaining that people who pretend to believe in American ideals actively prevent progress from being made toward them (and in fact push us further away).
      Mookie just 'splainin' that your ideals are not "American". Sufferage has been limited for 250 years and obviously in the back of the heads of the founders (original intent )
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
        Mookie just 'splainin' that your ideals are not "American". Sufferage has been limited for 250 years and obviously in the back of the heads of the founders (original intent )
        Weight the vote by GRE score and may the smarter side win. Problem solved.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
          I disagree- given the progression of voting rights in this country, it's pretty clear that equal opportunity voting IS being American, as we've been altering the laws to project that since the Constitution was signed.

Just because the founders didn't fully come up with the idea does not mean that it's not an American ideal.

Remember the guy who famously wrote that all men are created equal was a slave holder. So does that mean that it's not an American ideal? Heck, we didn't have actual laws that forced everyone to treat each other equally until the 1960's.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            Remember the guy who famously wrote that all men are created equal was a slave holder.
            Not to mention the little matter of it being all "men" being equal.

The Founders excluded from voting, explicitly or in practice:

Women
            The Poors
            Slaves
            Native Americans
            Atheists
            Prisoners

Which amounted to about 95% of the population at the time of the Revolution.
            Last edited by Kepler; 06-14-2018, 08:00 AM.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

SCOTUS punts on the gerrymandering cases. For ****s sake.

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
                5-4. What did you expect? They're not hiding it anymore.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  5-4. What did you expect? They're not hiding it anymore.
                  Maryland was heavily gerrymandered for the Democrats.

The court appears reluctant(!) to intrude on a political question. However, I think this is a shot across the bows of the legislatures for the 2020 reapportionment. Go overboard again and SCOTUS will rule.

On a sad note, I believe the Maryland Ds will go whole hog in 2020 and disenfranchise every R. They're that partisan. Hogan will be term limited and the Ds will put a tame lap dog in the State House who will do what Senate President Mike Miller wants.

-------

What about Lozeman?
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post

The court appears reluctant(!) to intrude on a political question. However, I think this is a shot across the bows of the legislatures for the 2020 reapportionment. Go overboard again and SCOTUS will rule.

On a sad note, I believe the Maryland Ds will go whole hog in 2020 and disenfranchise every R. They're that partisan. Hogan will be term limited and the Ds will put a tame lap dog in the State House who will do what Senate President Mike Miller wants.

-------

What about Lozeman?
                    In one breath you minimize the issue as simply a "political question" and in the next say R's are being disenfranchised. Seems like a question that goes to the very core of our democratic system.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

-------

What about Lozeman?
                      As opposed to what R's are doing on other states....

Comment

In one breath you minimize the issue as simply a "political question" and in the next say R's are being disenfranchised. Seems like a question that goes to the very core of our democratic system.
                        Why is that a surprise?
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

If only there was something we could have done to get that 5th vote...
                          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

-------

What about Lozeman?
                            It goes both ways and criminal in either direction. To the unethical goes the spoils.
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

Gerrymandering is one of those issues where every voter should mobilize against both parties. When representatives can choose their voters the entire American democracy falls to ruin.

Removing partisan politics from drawing districts is a bare minimum requirement for a working democracy.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                                If only there was something we could have done to get that 5th vote...
                                Nothing you can do when that ***** goes out and steals the primary. Lock her up.

Comment

Working...
                                X