Elmira College 2013-14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elmira College 2013-14

I thought now is a good time to get this thread started so we all don't have to read about Utica's sanctions and how Fishman doesn't agree with them. So, we'll start with a review of who is returning, new recruits and the outlook for the upcoming season.

You can follow @ECMensHockey and @TheThunderDomes on Twitter during the season for news and stats regarding the EC Men's Hockey team.

I have to go mow the lawn before the sun dies, so I'll have to work on this later!
    2006, 2010 ECAC West Pick'Em Champion.

Re: Elmira College 2013-14

ELMIRA.....Best program that has never won the whole thing.....discuss.

Comment

Add former Cardinal, Max Balaban to your list. Real nice kid.

Comment

Originally posted by admiral0417 View Post
        I agree. I was looking at the # of times they've made the big show and I think it was near 15 times, which is close to most of the best programs, with no Championships.

Comment

Quoted for truth...

I can't even think of what other team an argument could even be made for. I guess I would say the next best program to have had lots of success but never won it all would have to be Adrian in their short history. Geneseo? Nah. Amherst? Nah. CSS? Nope. Gustavus? Ney.

Comment

Originally posted by Birds View Post
            Add former Cardinal, Max Balaban to your list. Real nice kid.
            The next Justin Joy?!
            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
            GO LAKERS!!!
            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

By far and away...it's not even close.

Now that Oswego and St. Norbert have titles, it's easily Elmira.

The only other one that might even be remotely close to the discussion is Bowdoin.
              GO LAKERS!!!
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
                Quoted for truth...

I can't even think of what other team an argument could even be made for. I guess I would say the next best program to have had lots of success but never won it all would have to be Adrian in their short history. Geneseo? Nah. Amherst? Nah. CSS? Nope. Gustavus? Ney.
                Bowdoin.
                GO LAKERS!!!
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                  Bowdoin.
                  Shortage of D-I transfers.....
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                    By far and away...it's not even close.

Now that Oswego and St. Norbert have titles, it's easily Elmira.

The only other one that might even be remotely close to the discussion is Bowdoin.
                    St. Thomas is the correct answer, and the best program other than Elmira not to have won it all. For some reason I thought that they had...

Edit: Bowdoin is out. It's clearly between St. Thomas and Elmira. St. Thomas has 15 NCAA appearances and has twice been the national runner-up. Elmira has 17 appearances and has been the runner-up once.
                    Last edited by altazo; 09-06-2013, 06:27 PM.

Comment

St. Thomas is the correct answer, and the best program other than Elmira not to have won it all. For some reason I thought that they had...

Edit: Bowdoin is out. It's clearly between St. Thomas and Elmira. St. Thomas has 15 NCAA appearances and has twice been the national runner-up. Elmira has 17 appearances and has been the runner-up once.
                      Great post. St. Thomas came to mind for me...but I must admit had no idea they had made the tourney so many times. I would have said no team was even close to Elmira in the "brides maid" category. Chalk it up to "Eastern bias".

BTW-
                      The list of Elmira's incoming recruits seems pretty short - which I guess makes sense given how young last year's team was. It seems to support the speculation that the coaching staff feels they have the right guys in place and that last year's difficulties were the result of youthful inexperience...??

Soaring Eagle fans...what are you hearing? Is the list on D3 Hockey not accurate? If it is accurate, anyone surprised they didn't bring in some more guys?

Comment

I think the list is fairly accurate. They had another recruit at goalie who went to DI Alabama-Huntsville instead of EC. They also have a Platty player who is going to tryout for the team this fall. I think the freshman from last season are solid and will improve this year.

Comment

Unfortunately Elmira was bridesmaid twice 1980 losing to Mankato and 1988 losing in a mini game to Wisc River Falls
                          outplayed and outshot Mankato badly running into a HOT goalie and after losing on Friday to River Falls came back to
                          win Saturday game losing in the ensuing mini game

Comment

Originally posted by llama View Post
                            Soaring Eagle fans...what are you hearing? Is the list on D3 Hockey not accurate? If it is accurate, anyone surprised they didn't bring in some more guys?
                            The goalie was a bit of a disappointment, but scholarship money talks. There are a couple of names added at the last minute that are not on the list. Intra-squad scrimmages will be held [I believe] Oct 15 & 16. Now that new ownership has assumed control of the Downtown Arena, EC is going to try to arrange a couple of games there regularly, but without dedicated locker rooms, a permanent move is unlikely.

Edit: The schedule on D3Hockey is missing the two games at the Skidmore Tourney on Sat/Sun of the Thanksgiving weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by headsup View Post
                              Unfortunately Elmira was bridesmaid twice 1980 losing to Mankato and 1988 losing in a mini game to Wisc River Falls
                              outplayed and outshot Mankato badly running into a HOT goalie and after losing on Friday to River Falls came back to
                              win Saturday game losing in the ensuing mini game
                              Cool to know.

Was it a D2/D3 combined National tournament in 1980? I'm pretty certain Mankato has never been classified as a D3 team.

Comment

Working...
                              X