This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: POTUS 45.20 - Doddering Dotards Dodging Detente

Trump won't waive the Jones Act for PR like he did for Texas and Florida.

Donald Trump doesn't care about brown people.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

What a POS these morons are. And a completely horrible reason, too. The excuse being that the ports have too much damage. As if that is permanent.

Checking with family, Ponce is in decent condition, including the roads. So ships can quickly be off loaded and distributed.

I thought it would be hard to hate this group more, but I was wrong. Dump is the leader of a horrible group of people in the executive branch. Worst people ever. They are not just letting people suffer, they are making it worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

meh... I think that's probably almost all politics. As far as relief goes, DHS and the Joint Chiefs both say that the problem isn't shipping capacity but available working port space. Makes some sense to me. Even if PR ports weren't damaged you have a small port at San Juan and a smaller port at Ponce... I think that's about it. Houston alone probably has 10x or 20x the capacity of PR. Florida 50x or 100x. With PR ports in good working order, I can't see how there's a problem filling them up with available shipping. There's just not that much space, and it's not a long trip out there.
        Originally posted by WiscTJK
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
          meh... I think that's probably almost all politics. As far as relief goes, DHS and the Joint Chiefs both say that the problem isn't shipping capacity but available working port space. Makes some sense to me. Even if PR ports weren't damaged you have a small port at San Juan and a smaller port at Ponce... I think that's about it. Houston alone probably has 10x or 20x the capacity of PR. Florida 50x or 100x. With PR ports in good working order, I can't see how there's a problem filling them up with available shipping. There's just not that much space, and it's not a long trip out there.
          This argues otherwise. The implication is that the Jones Act is a classic colonialist penalty on a captive population. When the Brits did this to us we Tea Partied them.

I doubt Dump did it because they're brown. He rips off white people all the time. I assume TPTB told him "this is how we make our money squeezing these guys" and he said "Understood. But why not just not pay your bills? That's what I do."
          Last edited by Kepler; 09-27-2017, 07:41 AM.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            This argues otherwise. The implication is that the Jones Act is a classic colonialist penalty on a captive population. When the Brits did this to us we Tea Partied them.

I doubt Dump did it because they're brown. He rips off white people all the time. I assume TPTB told him "this is how we make our money squeezing these guys" and he said "Understood. But why not just not pay your bills? That's what I do."
            Doesn't that article support his point? I should have done further reading on it, but after "it's a large, large ocean" I wasn't expecting much.

What that article does point out is PR continues to get screwed over in its "territory that's not a state that's basically its own country" status.
            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

That says what I said. The validity or usefulness of the Jones Act is a political question. But it's not preventing relief one way or the other. PR's small capacity is what it is.

As far as the act itself, of course it can be rolled back. Corporate profits from potentially cheaper shipping will be distributed amongst the people in this island economy. Hooray!
              Originally posted by WiscTJK
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
              Originally posted by Timothy A
              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

WASHINGTON — The Environmental Protection Agency has signed a contract for nearly $25,000 to build a soundproof communications booth for the office of the administrator, Scott Pruitt.

Critics say Mr. Pruitt has gone to unusual lengths to operate in secrecy at the E.P.A., where employees report he is often accompanied by armed guards even inside the agency, and avoids making important calls in his office. He is the first E.P.A. administrator to have round-the-clock security.
                https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/26/c...imes&smtyp=cur
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  LOL one of the loony Trump minions I know who was all over the Steelers' Villanueva on Sunday just posted "Unbelievable! He's apologizing! SMH." on Facebook. One of the responses said he was forced to do that. SMH? Really now.
                  Seems like he was coerced into it. The guy received overnight viral popularity, and now he's throwing it away in an apology? Probably thought he would have been benched or cut.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                    MLS and MLS Players Union release statement about anthem protests.

Be interesting to see what happens during tomorrow's games.
                    You can kneel if you want. Owners and coaches can still take action. Authoritarian patriots can also flip the station.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                      That says what I said. The validity or usefulness of the Jones Act is a political question. But it's not preventing relief one way or the other. PR's small capacity is what it is.

As far as the act itself, of course it can be rolled back. Corporate profits from potentially cheaper shipping will be distributed amongst the people in this island economy. Hooray!
                      The port in Ponce is bigger than you think. It can deal with two large container ships at the same time. Which is the entire point of the waiver- use the largest ships available to move the most stuff possible to repair as much as possible.

How you can brush that off is beyond me. Unlike Texas and Florida, Puerto Rico has no road to truck stuff down. No convoys of power companies will drive to the islands to rebuild. Ships are it

Comment

As Nelson Muntz would say, "Ha, ha!"
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

As Nelson Muntz would say, "Ha, ha!"
                          I love how Trump hedged his bets on this - saying the last couple of weeks that he may have backed the wrong guy, etc. You could see this switcheroo coming. It's like Stupid Orwell.

How much do you want to bet the Butch Queen's response to questions about it will essentially be, "President Trump has always respected and supported Roy Moore for Senate."

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            I love how Trump hedged his bets on this - saying the last couple of weeks that he may have backed the wrong guy, etc. You could see this switcheroo coming. It's like Stupid Orwell.

How much do you want to bet the Butch Queen's response to questions about it will essentially be, "President Trump has always respected and supported Roy Moore for Senate."
                            Poll Trump's supporters in 3 months and ask who he supported. North of 80% will say Moore.

Maybe 3 days.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                              The port in Ponce is bigger than you think. It can deal with two large container ships at the same time. Which is the entire point of the waiver- use the largest ships available to move the most stuff possible to repair as much as possible.

How you can brush that off is beyond me. Unlike Texas and Florida, Puerto Rico has no road to truck stuff down. No convoys of power companies will drive to the islands to rebuild. Ships are it
                              I wonder what shape the roads are in? IIRC there is one highway from San Juan to Ponce directly through the center on the island and another that hugs the coast (at least from Ponce to Mayaguez to San Juan). Without them, and electricity, you can't do much.

Given the lousy shape the Island's finances are, would it be a good idea to "take over" Puerto Rico for a bit and get the infrastructure and revenue base up to snuff?

And what about the Virgin Islands??
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Mar-a-Lago, we have a problem.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X