Brown Hockey 2017-2018: The Quest for Prosperity Continues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brown Hockey 2017-2018: The Quest for Prosperity Continues

Refs handed this one to Bentley. Atrocious all game, but particularly in the third. Missed too many men for Bentley that lasted about 30 seconds, then immediately called Aibel on a ridiculously soft hold. Bentley scored on the ensuing PP to take a two-goal lead.

EDIT: As I typed that, they called another absurdly soft penalty on Brown! Unreal.

Comment

Awful quiet around here. Anyone still paying attention?

We were outplayed at Vermont for 2 of 3 periods, but were unfortunate not to win when the would-be GWG with 4.6 seconds left in OT was waved off following a review. Kania looked really sharp, which was nice. Tim Lappin's incredible between-the-legs maneuver has been garnering attention from ESPN and the likes. I thought Tyler Bird was terrific throughout the game, providing speed and energy and making plays in all three zones.

Burlington is a tough trip to make during finals weeks - I believe it's the longest bus ride the team will go on all year other than the North Country weekend. A tie is completely acceptable, given the circumstances. We enter a new calendar year with a renewed energy; the demons of last season seemingly purged from the team's collective memory at this point. Before the season started, I said we could end up with around 10-12 wins with a ceiling of 15, and I think that's very realistic with five wins through 13 of our 29 games.

Would love to knock off Providence next month after last year's disastrous Mayor's Cup, but we don't usually play very well at Schneider and Leaman's teams tend to turn it on in the second half. UNH and Maine will be challenges, too, though I hope we can take one of those. The goal of home ice in the playoffs is very much alive; we just need to take care of the teams below us in the standings and maybe score a couple upsets against the top ECAC teams, which appear to be Clarkson, Cornell, Colgate, Union and Harvard.

I still haven't made it to a game this year! Maybe that's been a good luck charm for the team...
      Last edited by kdiff77; 12-13-2017, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
        Awful quiet around here. Anyone still paying attention?

We were outplayed at Vermont for 2 of 3 periods, but were unfortunate not to win when the would-be GWG with 4.6 seconds left in OT was waved off following a review. Kania looked really sharp, which was nice. Tim Lappin's incredible between-the-legs maneuver has been garnering attention from ESPN and the likes. I thought Tyler Bird was terrific throughout the game, providing speed and energy and making plays in all three zones.

Burlington is a tough trip to make during finals weeks - I believe it's the longest bus ride the team will go on all year other than the North Country weekend. A tie is completely acceptable, given the circumstances. We enter a new calendar year with a renewed energy; the demons of last season seemingly purged from the team's collective memory at this point. Before the season started, I said we could end up with around 10-12 wins with a ceiling of 15, and I think that's very realistic with five wins through 13 of our 29 games.

Would love to knock off Providence next month after last year's disastrous Mayor's Cup, but we don't usually play very well at Schneider and Leaman's teams tend to turn it on in the second half. UNH and Maine will be challenges, too, though I hope we can take one of those. The goal of home ice in the playoffs is very much alive; we just need to take care of the teams below us in the standings and maybe score a couple upsets against the top ECAC teams, which appear to be Clarkson, Cornell, Colgate, Union and Harvard.

I still haven't made it to a game this year! Maybe that's been a good luck charm for the team...

This team is better than the scores indicate. They held a number of teams to a tie or 1 goal down until mid-way through third periods. The PK unfortunately is getting far too much time, but is significantly better then last year. We have seen a couple goals in the 5-10 seconds after the PK is done when we couldn't get PK units off the ice and that is unfortunate. We need to take a lot less penalties.

Should have started Nieto at Dartmouth, did not like the decision there and I felt like the Bentley game was stolen, atrocious soft calls all night, and Divver from the Providence journal was commenting about the acting skills of the Providence players on twitter.

The PP is still struggling, we need to shoot the puck a lot more. The constant effort to move the puck to get the perfect skilled shot is not working. We need to shoot low and get some dirty goals, the current style of PP is just not working.

The effort all around is better, I wish some of our players would have a higher energy moving the puck up the ice. Sometimes seem a little lackadaisical and they get stripped of the puck and give up odd man rushes. We need every player to be high energy in all three zones.

Goalie is significantly better, but need that save % even higher.

It is just a better team then this record reflects, and am interested to see how the rest of the season goes. Cautiously optimistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Brownfan14 View Post
          This team is better than the scores indicate. They held a number of teams to a tie or 1 goal down until mid-way through third periods. The PK unfortunately is getting far too much time, but is significantly better then last year. We have seen a couple goals in the 5-10 seconds after the PK is done when we couldn't get PK units off the ice and that is unfortunate. We need to take a lot less penalties.

Should have started Nieto at Dartmouth, did not like the decision there and I felt like the Bentley game was stolen, atrocious soft calls all night, and Divver from the Providence journal was commenting about the acting skills of the Providence players on twitter.

The PP is still struggling, we need to shoot the puck a lot more. The constant effort to move the puck to get the perfect skilled shot is not working. We need to shoot low and get some dirty goals, the current style of PP is just not working.

The effort all around is better, I wish some of our players would have a higher energy moving the puck up the ice. Sometimes seem a little lackadaisical and they get stripped of the puck and give up odd man rushes. We need every player to be high energy in all three zones.

Goalie is significantly better, but need that save % even higher.

It is just a better team then this record reflects, and am interested to see how the rest of the season goes. Cautiously optimistic.
          Agreed on everything here. We have pretty dominant possession numbers, but we don't pull the trigger on shots enough – particularly on the power play, as you said. Our record could be the inverse of what it is, or even better, had some bounces gone our way and had the coaching staff made some better personnel decisions (namely re: goaltending).

I've said it before; I'll say it again: This team's X-factor is its penalty killing. We were one of the very worst PK teams in the country last year. The improvement has been incredible. Now, we just need to stop taking so many penalties!

Comment

Brown hockey returns tonight after a few weeks of hibernation! Providence is a strong team, but maybe not such a potent offensive threat (18th in the country in scoring, which is good but not elite). I'm hoping we come out on fire to avenge last year's 6-0 meltdown.

This senior class has actually fared relatively well in the crosstown rivalry despite PC becoming a national power and Brown sinking to the very bottom during the same timeframe. Their overall record is 2-3 against the Friars, including a Mayor's Cup series win on goal differential in 2015 and an overtime upset over the then-number one team in the country in 2016, despite losing the Cup on GD that year.

Comment

! Providence is a strong team, but maybe not such a potent offensive threat (18th in the country in scoring, which is good but not elite). I'm hoping we come out on fire to avenge last year's 6-0 meltdown.
              The one saving grace for the Friars is that the game isn't on a Saturday. The offense completely evaporates on Saturdays - shutout losses to Clarkson, RIT (!), UNH, BU - 2 goals against Bobby Mo last weekend and yet another loss to Clarkson... The 7-2 victory over UMASS and the 6-6 tie at Merrimack being outliers.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
              -Blackadder
              "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
              -Casablanca
              "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
              -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                The one saving grace for the Friars is that the game isn't on a Saturday. The offense completely evaporates on Saturdays - shutout losses to Clarkson, RIT (!), UNH, BU - 2 goals against Bobby Mo last weekend and yet another loss to Clarkson... The 7-2 victory over UMASS and the 6-6 tie at Merrimack being outliers.
                Those are quite the impressive outliers! I also notice the Friars have scored precisely zero goals on Wednesday nights this season, which is just putrid. Embarrassing, really. Brown, on the other hand, has scored one (1) goal on Wednesdays, thus establishing itself as the obvious favorite in this game.

Comment

Those are quite the impressive outliers! I also notice the Friars have scored precisely zero goals on Wednesday nights this season, which is just putrid. Embarrassing, really. Brown, on the other hand, has scored one (1) goal on Wednesdays, thus establishing itself as the obvious favorite in this game.
                  Big Data is everything!

Comment

We’ve managed to regress into last year’s team over the past month of not playing. Fire Whittet.

Comment

Originally posted by fr. joe View Post
                      Big Data is everything!
                      You may have won the game, but we’ll win the math!

Comment

We’ve managed to regress into last year’s team over the past month of not playing. Fire Whittet.
                        Would prefer we don’t go down 4-0 in the first place, but this is clearly a much more resilient team than last year’s!

Comment

Would prefer we don’t go down 4-0 in the first place, but this is clearly a much more resilient team than last year’s!
                          Heck of a comeback by Brown tonight, quite a different team in the third period. Congrats!
                          RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

That was a really, really entertaining game last night. Neither team played defense, and as a result, we were treated to high-octane offense from both teams throughout the whole game. Tony Stillwell could be an absolute star at this level. He's got better hands and speed than any forward on our roster, and we've got a handful of good puck-handlers and skaters.

The goaltending situation is back to being an overall negative. Sure, the defense was directly responsible for probably three of the four goals we allowed last night, but neither Kania nor Nieto has really grabbed the reins in recent games and made the job his own. It's a little concerning to me that at this point in the season, we're still playing a rotation in net – and not because we have two goalies battling it out for the starting job, but because neither is apparently ready to be an automatic starter at this level. I wonder if Connor Maher could deliver a steady senior season, a la Borelli in 2013?
                            Last edited by kdiff77; 01-09-2018, 11:34 AM.

Comment

I saw a much better Brown team from 1 year ago. Good compete level with some skill out there. Good luck the rest of the way and hopefully the W's start coming your way!
                              UMaine Black Bears Recruit Info Site GO BLUE!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bhall44 View Post
                                I saw a much better Brown team from 1 year ago. Good compete level with some skill out there. Good luck the rest of the way and hopefully the W's start coming your way!
                                Likewise, I was impressed with Maine’s skating and skill, particularly in generating clean shot looks, compared to last year. With both Hockey East and the ECAC having relative down years, maybe our teams can make some noise down the stretch. Go Bears, both of the brown and black varieties!

Comment

Working...
                                X