Concussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Concussions

Not a concussion, but MN high school hockey legend (and former Minnesota North Star) Henry Boucha had his career ended from a butt end of a stick being jabbed in his eye by Boston thug Dave Forbes. One of the dirtiest use of a stick ever!

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_arti...0?referrer_id=
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Was at an Atom AAA boys hockey game last night. One kid knocks another kid into next week. The kid gets up after 5 minutes, then wobbles as he is assisted to the bench. The hitter gets 5 and a game. Lo and behold, the hittee returns to the ice without missing a shift. I should also mention that there were 6 minutes left in the game with his team down 5 zip. Final score 7 zip. What was this coach thinking? Just thought I'd post this, as I thought it odd that this could possibly happen with the media frenzy and all.

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
        Thanks for the Wild update D2D...they look like they are on a roll but have to ask if you are aware of the Stanley Cup Non-North American Captain Jinx.

I could prolly give you an education on another NHL team that played out of the Met Center in Bloomington, L'Etoile du Nord.... as they were my favorite team growing up...with names like Cesare Maniago, Lorne "Gump" Worsley, JP Parise, Danny Grant, Lou Nanne, Dennis Hextall, Ted Harris and fittingly to the topic of the thread Bill Masterton who is the only hockey player to ever die during a game due to a severe concussion when his head hit the ice....

The 67' expansion draft...those were the days.
        Couple of local products went onto North Star Stardom. Talk about 67'...How about one of the best ever Ottawa 67's drafted into the NHL, Bobby Smith. He was part of the North Star team that knocked of the four time defending champs Montreal one year, winning all four road games in the series. A year later they went on to the lose in the Stanley cup Final during the Islanders Dynasty.
        Last edited by OnMAA; 12-08-2011, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Here's CBC's latest installment on the topic with some extremely interesting stats and comments that follow.

Who's the guy who got fined $.5M+...is that the guy who hit Crosby back in Jan/11?...I forget which team Pittsburgh was playing when Crosby got laid out.

These stats make it glaringly obvious that this is a gigantic problem...and even that's an understatement.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...ions-list.html

And then there's this...different sport anyone?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/nf...s-lawsuit.html
          Last edited by Blackbeard; 12-31-2011, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
            Here's CBC's latest installment on the topic with some extremely interesting stats and comments that follow.

Who's the guy who got fined $.5M+...is that the guy who hit Crosby back in Jan/11?...I forget which team Pittsburgh was playing when Crosby got laid out.

These stats make it glaringly obvious that this is a gigantic problem...and even that's an understatement.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...ions-list.html

And then there's this...different sport anyone?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/nf...s-lawsuit.html
            It was David Steckel who was playing for Washington at the time and is now playing for Toronto. The hit in my opinion was unintentional; just one of those things that happens, especially when you consider the speed of the game. Steckel, an American, is 6'6'' and much taller than Crosby. When Crosby turned into him it was easy to make shoulder to head contact. Steckel is one of the best faceoff guys I have ever seen. He was never fined.
            Last edited by CanHockGuy; 01-01-2012, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Mark Messier - http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...tGOIdir0lqjZ6H

Comment

A question about redshirting with a concussion.

The situation is a players gets a concussion in November after playing three NCAA D3 games. This concussion causes the player to struggle in school because she can't go to class without getting headaches and she can't concentrate. Her GPA drops from a 2.7 the previous year to a 1.6. The concussion was likely the cause of the drop in GPA. It is her senior year. She didn't make grades so she is unable to play the second half of the season. Is she able to redshirt?

Comment

Originally posted by canadahockey26 View Post
                  A question about redshirting with a concussion.

The situation is a players gets a concussion in November after playing three NCAA D3 games. This concussion causes the player to struggle in school because she can't go to class without getting headaches and she can't concentrate. Her GPA drops from a 2.7 the previous year to a 1.6. The concussion was likely the cause of the drop in GPA. It is her senior year. She didn't make grades so she is unable to play the second half of the season. Is she able to redshirt?
                  My guess is that she'd have to appeal to the NCAA for some sort of exception and make up the classes in question.
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Did anybody watch the special on CNN last night?
                    The program hilighted football but the situation is big in hockey as well.
                    Last summer we lost two NHL players to suicide, some say it was because of the head trauma.
                    I know six or seven players who have issues concerning concussions.

I thought USA Hockey was getting tough on mouthgards but they have backed down on that issue also. Refs don't seem to call "No Mouthgard" anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by pennpapa View Post
                      Did anybody watch the special on CNN last night?
                      The program hilighted football but the situation is big in hockey as well.
                      Last summer we lost two NHL players to suicide, some say it was because of the head trauma.
                      I know six or seven players who have issues concerning concussions.

I thought USA Hockey was getting tough on mouthgards but they have backed down on that issue also. Refs don't seem to call "No Mouthgard" anymore.
                      At a coaching clinic I got into it with USA Hockey's doctor/expert about this and his reply was "there is no conclusive evidence that mouth guards have any effect on preventing concussions."

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                        At a coaching clinic I got into it with USA Hockey's doctor/expert about this and his reply was "there is no conclusive evidence that mouth guards have any effect on preventing concussions."
                        And most kids hate them: they impede breathing: they're nasty bacteria traps: and they rarely stay in place. What good are they? With all that working against you, they actually may put players in more danger.

Comment

Originally posted by CanHockGuy View Post
                          And most kids hate them: they impede breathing: they're nasty bacteria traps: and they rarely stay in place. What good are they? With all that working against you, they actually may put players in more danger.
                          Fitted mouth guards do not impede breathing.
                          Fitted mouth guards stay in place.
                          All mouth guards prevent biting of the lips, tongue or cheek, and can prevent chipped teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                            Fitted mouth guards do not impede breathing.
                            Fitted mouth guards stay in place.
                            All mouth guards prevent biting of the lips, tongue or cheek, and can prevent chipped teeth.
                            Ever play? They do impede breathing. Try it after a long shift when you're drawing air through your mouth; the first thing players without masks do is take the guard out to breathe easier. Regardless, most kids don't have anything close to what the pros have, and a "properly" fitted guard would need to be replaced every month minimum with the average rep kid. College kids might have more benefit. When I was talking about mouth guards never being in place, I meant that most kids play with them in their mouth, and chew on them making them pretty much useless. As for biting of the lips and whatnot, I agree I guess, but IMHO a mask is plenty of protection. Having said all of this (my opinion) I have NO PROBLEM with people that prefer them, but I also believe there should be freedom of choice in this regard. A lot of people feel they get in the way. And that may be a danger in itself.

Comment

Originally posted by CanHockGuy View Post
                              Ever play? They do impede breathing. Try it after a long shift when you're drawing air through your mouth; the first thing players without masks do is take the guard out to breathe easier. Regardless, most kids don't have anything close to what the pros have, and a "properly" fitted guard would need to be replaced every month minimum with the average rep kid. College kids might have more benefit. When I was talking about mouth guards never being in place, I meant that most kids play with them in their mouth, and chew on them making them pretty much useless. As for biting of the lips and whatnot, I agree I guess, but IMHO a mask is plenty of protection. Having said all of this (my opinion) I have NO PROBLEM with people that prefer them, but I also believe there should be freedom of choice in this regard. A lot of people feel they get in the way. And that may be a danger in itself.
                              Our kids rarely wore them. They ended up lost in the room, or festering mold in the side pocket of the hockeybag. Not even mandatory in the OWHA (Ontario Women's Hockey Governing Body). Wearing a good and properly fitted helmet does much more to protect a player from a concussion than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                                Our kids rarely wore them. They ended up lost in the room, or festering mold in the side pocket of the hockeybag. Not even mandatory in the OWHA (Ontario Women's Hockey Governing Body). Wearing a good and properly fitted helmet does much more to protect a player from a concussion than anything else.
                                Agree....and good hockey sense.

Comment

Working...
                                X