2016-2017 WCHA Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    It's ridiculous how many press boxes don't have a dedicated wi-fi feed exclusive to the press box, but you get the shared feed with the rest of the crowd. Sometimes makes me long for the days of AOL DialUp when trying to pass along scores from other games.

And the UAH/Tech feed is lousy again. There should also be a line solely dedicated to the video feed.
    I can't tell you how much of a joy it is to see an Ethernet port in a press box.

Everyone complains about WCHA.tv or if a radio feed gets lost, but no one thinks to spend money on the press box and infrastructure to eliminate those issues. The press box is always the last spot to see renovations.

It also doesn't help that half the rinks in the league aren't run by the universities.
    Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
      I can't tell you how much of a joy it is to see an Ethernet port in a press box.

Everyone complains about WCHA.tv or if a radio feed gets lost, but no one thinks to spend money on the press box and infrastructure to eliminate those issues. The press box is always the last spot to see renovations.

It also doesn't help that half the rinks in the league aren't run by the universities.
      Even better is a properly working Ethernet port! But those still do little for an iPad or any tablet. I've started to carry a mobile hot spot along.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: 2016-2017 WCHA Season Thread

This entire conversation renews my regular urge to win the lottery and build UAH a new rink...

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
          Reminds me of an ECHL Idaho Steelheads game I was listening to back in the day. On one of their games on the road in Anchorage, they lost the feed for almost a whole period because some kids tripped over the phone cord the Steelheads broadcaster was using to send the feed back home. Apparently they would just coil up the cords from the press box and run them along the hallway. Staff at the Sullivan couldn't find where the cord was at to plug it back in.
          Sounds about par for the course for the Sully. And the Aces, what a *show of an organization.
          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
            Sounds about par for the course for the Sully. And the Aces, what a *show of an organization.
            Now featuring free massages during the games

Yes that almost happened, Bob is also falling from grace with a silly little yes man on his morning show.
            Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
              Now featuring free massages during the games

Yes that almost happened, Bob is also falling from grace with a silly little yes man on his morning show.
              He still has a morning show? Granted I haven't listened to KWHL since Pandora became a thing.
              “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                He still has a morning show? Granted I haven't listened to KWHL since Pandora became a thing.
                I've learned the show was only good with Mark, quiet quiet Mark. With Nikki & Chad it was alright, now just Bob & Chad it is unlistenable. I fired up the KWHL app a month ago and got through five minutes, only because of a BIG concert announcement, for some band I've never heard of, at Koots. That was the nail in the coffin for me. Reminded me of that Bob & Tom show. I can just imagine how the Aces games are now.
                Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                  Reminded me of that Bob & Tom show....
                  Some parts of rural America are STILL listening to that show along with other morning gems like Man Cow. That's one nice part of moving to a big city - my morning DJ selection has increased ten fold. Not that I listen to any of them, but it's nice to have choices when you want them. Central WI... ahh, not so much. They had BOTH of those shows as part of the local morning line-up.
                  Ryan
                  Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

2016-17 WCHA Non-Conference Schedule, one non-conference game left on the schedule.......

The WCHA has 69 non-conference games this year, not including the one game between Alaska and Alaska-Anchorage.
                    24 NCHC Games (3-18-3)
                    25 Possible Big10 Games (9-15-1)
                    9 Hockey East Games (1-7-1)
                    6 Atlantic Hockey Games (2-3-0)
                    5 ECAC Games (1-4-0)
                    TOTAL: 16-47-5

ALABAMA-HUNTSVILLE (0-6-0)
                    -2 at Connecticut L 6-0, L 4-0
                    -2 at St. Cloud State L 5-1, L 5-2
                    -vs. Massachusetts (Minneapolis, MN) L 2-1 OT
                    -vs. Mercyhurst (Minneapolis, MN) L 3-2 OT

ALASKA (1-5-0)
                    -at Alaska-Anchorage W 4-1
                    -vs. Minnesota (Anchorage, AK) L 6-3
                    -Canisius L 2-1 (OT)
                    -Nebraska-Omaha L 4-3 (OT)
                    -2 at Notre Dame L 5-0, L 4-0

ALASKA-ANCHORAGE (1-5-0)
                    -Minnesota L 6-0
                    -Alaska L 4-1
                    -vs. Nebraska-Omaha (Fairbanks, AK) L 3-1
                    -vs. Canisius (Fairbanks, AK) W 1-0
                    -2 at Penn State L 6-3, L 3-1

BEMIDJI STATE (0-7-1)
                    -2 at North Dakota L 3-2, L 5-4
                    -2 with Princeton L 4-1, L 3-1
                    -at Minnesota-Duluth T 1-1
                    -Minnesota Duluth L 2-1
                    -vs. St. Cloud State (St. Paul, MN) L 2-1
                    -vs. Minnesota (St. Paul, MN) L 4-0

BOWLING GREEN (2-4-1)
                    -Western Michigan T 4-4
                    -at Western Michigan L 8-2
                    -Ohio State L 5-4
                    -at Ohio State L 6-1
                    -2 at Miami L 2-1 (OT), W 4-1
                    -vs. RIT (Toledo, OH) W 3-0
                    -with Mercyhurst

FERRIS STATE (1-5-1)
                    -Western Michigan L 5-3
                    -at Western Michigan L 2-1
                    -Michigan L 2-1
                    -at Michigan State W 4-1
                    -Michigan State L 4-3
                    -vs. Robert Morris (Pittsburgh, PA) L 1-0
                    -vs. Boston College (Pittsburgh, PA) T 1-1

LAKE SUPERIOR STATE (3-3-0)
                    -2 with Michigan State W 6-1, W 7-3
                    -2 at Michigan W 3-1, L 4-1
                    -2 at Nebraska-Omaha L 4-1, L 5-3

MICHIGAN TECH (3-6-1)
                    -2 at Minnesota Duluth L 6-0, L 4-3
                    -2 at Michigan L 4-3, T 3-3
                    -2 at Michigan State L 3-2 (OT), W 5-1
                    -vs. Michigan (Detroit, MI) W 2-0
                    -vs. Western Michigan (Detroit, MI) L 1-0 OT
                    -2 at Notre Dame L 3-1, W 4-2

MINNESOTA STATE (4-2-0)
                    -2 with St. Cloud State W 4-1, W 6-4
                    -Minnesota W 4-1
                    -at Minnesota L 1-0
                    -2 at Princeton L 6-1, W 5-4

NORTHERN MICHIGAN (2-5-1)
                    -2 vs. Wisconsin (at Green Bay) W 3-2, L 6-5
                    -2 at Wisconsin W 5-2, L 2-0
                    -2 with Nebraska-Omaha T 2-2, L 2-0
                    -vs. Cornell (Estero, FL) L 5-2
                    -vs. Merrimack (Estero, FL) L 4-2
                    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                      This entire conversation renews my regular urge to win the lottery and build UAH a new rink...

GFM
                      Well There are a few schools in our league that would kill for a rink as nice as yours.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I've learned the show was only good with Mark, quiet quiet Mark. With Nikki & Chad it was alright, now just Bob & Chad it is unlistenable. I fired up the KWHL app a month ago and got through five minutes, only because of a BIG concert announcement, for some band I've never heard of, at Koots. That was the nail in the coffin for me. Reminded me of that Bob & Tom show. I can just imagine how the Aces games are now.
                        When I was at UAF they simulcast the Bob and Mark show on 104.7 in Fairbanks...it was actually funny in those days. Crude, but funny. Then 100.5 in Anchorage gave them the boot after enough of the crude part and brought in Woody and Wilcox, who were funnier than B&M (and have since gone national). B&M were never all that funny after they moved to KWHL and couldnt be as crude. Some of the bits B&M broadcast 15-20 years ago would cause an uproar in today's world.

Now I just listen to Pandora or sports radio. I think radio is about to face the same issues that newspapers have been dealing with for the last decade, especially stations with a music format.
                        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                          Well There are a few schools in our league that would kill for a rink as nice as yours.
                          You haven't been in the press box or locker rooms. Thankfully we've gotten back to equal billing with the local SPHL franchise rather than getting shafted. The Huntsville Hockey logo at center ice was very, very, very well received by the community, especially those of us Charger fans.

Also, the VBC is too **** big for us and has been for 15 years.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                            Maybe Anchorage. The main body of the Fairbanks arena would be comparable, but the player facilities are far superior in Alaska. I love making the trips to Huntsville & Anchorage, but their rinks are on the bottom of the list overall.
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                              Central WI... ahh, not so much. They had BOTH of those shows as part of the local morning line-up.
                              Ryan
                              Ugh.

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                              When I was at UAF they simulcast the Bob and Mark show on 104.7 in Fairbanks...it was actually funny in those days. Crude, but funny. Then 100.5 in Anchorage gave them the boot after enough of the crude part and brought in Woody and Wilcox, who were funnier than B&M (and have since gone national). B&M were never all that funny after they moved to KWHL and couldnt be as crude. Some of the bits B&M broadcast 15-20 years ago would cause an uproar in today's world.

Now I just listen to Pandora or sports radio. I think radio is about to face the same issues that newspapers have been dealing with for the last decade, especially stations with a music format.
                              I believe 100.5 had Bob & Tom and then switched to Woody and Wilcox, can't think of another FM station that would carry Bob & Tom here in ANC. Everything is changing; Pandora/Spotify/Apple Music/iPods/heck even cd's are being used more than the radio in my friends cars, there's maybe a handful of my college friends that have cable/a dish provider, newspaper hah! If there is a way without ads we gobble it up, not realizing what we are giving up in the process but I digress.

Without a split when MSU comes to town, I fear our playoff hopes are gone. Northern can very easily leave us hanging in last place.

Comment

Ugh.

I believe 100.5 had Bob & Tom and then switched to Woody and Wilcox, can't think of another FM station that would carry Bob & Tom here in ANC. Everything is changing; Pandora/Spotify/Apple Music/iPods/heck even cd's are being used more than the radio in my friends cars, there's maybe a handful of my college friends that have cable/a dish provider, newspaper hah! If there is a way without ads we gobble it up, not realizing what we are giving up in the process but I digress.

Without a split when MSU comes to town, I fear our playoff hopes are gone. Northern can very easily leave us hanging in last place.
                                You guys are only five points back, and Huntsville has a tougher schedule the rest of the way. I wouldn't give up hope.

Comment

Working...
                                X