Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2016 - 2017: Here we go again! I hope it's a fun ride.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2016 - 2017: Here we go again! I hope it's a fun ride.

Maybe we just haven't had anything good at all up front, and we used good goaltending to cover up the faults.

Comment

Not sure if this means anything, but I did notice at the alumni/team meet and greet in Tempe that as a group, our guys seemed, well, not very big. We were either short and thin or tall and thin. If Seth's philosophy is to build a fast team at the expense of bulk, then perhaps were are just getting knocked off the puck more than other teams. This may explain our struggles maintaining possession in the defensive zone and maintaining a presence in front of the opposing teams' net.

I can remember walking past Graeme Townsend my freshman year and thinking that he could be an NFL linebacker - he was that huge. We DEFINITELY don't have anyone near that size on this team right now.

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonMike View Post
        Not sure if this means anything, but I did notice at the alumni/team meet and greet in Tempe that as a group, our guys seemed, well, not very big. We were either short and thin or tall and thin.
        CHN has average height/weight stats here: http://www.collegehockeynews.com/stats/

RPI is 50th out of 60 in height (12th in the ECAC), and 49th out of 60 in weight (11th in the ECAC). Those averages are a bit "noisy", though, a better metric would be to weight by games played, and exclude goalies. Could be a fun quick exercise to calculate that.

Other notes extrapolated from that page, 1st overall in Blocked Shots with 277, 8th in Blocked Shots per game with 15.4.

Faceoffs... shooting percentage (4.5% at 5v5, 15.7% on the powerplay...) it's all not pretty. Power Play corsi is 2nd worst, just not enough shot generation. 5v5 is not much better.
        RPI Class of 2012
        Visit rpitv.org to watch almost every RPI Hockey home game LIVE, as well as a huge collection of on demand games from this season and seasons past, all for FREE!

Comment

Originally posted by RHamilton View Post
          CHN has average height/weight stats here: http://www.collegehockeynews.com/stats/

RPI is 50th out of 60 in height (12th in the ECAC), and 49th out of 60 in weight (11th in the ECAC). Those averages are a bit "noisy", though, a better metric would be to weight by games played, and exclude goalies. Could be a fun quick exercise to calculate that.

Other notes extrapolated from that page, 1st overall in Blocked Shots with 277, 8th in Blocked Shots per game with 15.4.

Faceoffs... shooting percentage (4.5% at 5v5, 15.7% on the powerplay...) it's all not pretty. Power Play corsi is 2nd worst, just not enough shot generation. 5v5 is not much better.

Also have to take in consideration WHEN the height/weight data was taken. My guess is that more than a few of these guys have lost a few pounds since stepping on the scale in the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonMike View Post
            Also have to take in consideration WHEN the height/weight data was taken. My guess is that more than a few of these guys have lost a few pounds since stepping on the scale in the summer.
            And of course the fact that the official heights and weights reported by teams are generous to say the least, especially for players on the smaller end of things.
            RPI Pep Band
            GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
            🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
            2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
            2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

There's at least been SOME improvement on faceoffs... given the past few years; it may be too little too late...

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                And of course the fact that the official heights and weights reported by teams are generous to say the least, especially for players on the smaller end of things.
                So maybe what has happened is the following... Seth recruits for and emphasizes team speed. We end up with talented but undersized players at most positions but look good on paper going into the season. Then the games begin and we start getting knocked around and taken out of our speed game. We compensate by drawing penalties at an alarming rate in trying to regain puck possession...we start losing games, Seth works the team harder...confidence and body mass are lost and the cycle repeats itself.

It's an easy fix...I'll just send the team a few cases of Sonoran hot dogs and an email to Seth to get them back in the weight room

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                  Ralph, this is not a fun ride.
                  I wasn't the one who suggested that title.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    I wasn't the one who suggested that title.
                    No the title is good... we can use it again and just add "out of Troy" at the end if this keeps up.

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
                      that's easy, we are 5 years removed from the supposed bottom, and things have gotten worse. Especially, after last year, where it appeared there was a fundamental improvement in effort and performance, and today it's worse than it's ever been.
                      Largely agree. Since the end of the 2011-12 season we are 66-85-22 (.445). Fan patience has pretty much run out, at least from what I hear at HFH. In 2011-12 we were still just a couple of seasons removed from making the NCAAs and there was some cause for optimism, but it's been mediocre at best since then and not even a whiff of the league semifinals or another NCAA berth while our neighbors at the other end of Route 7 with a lesser facility and no scholarships are raising banners and stocking the trophy case.

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                        Do people think this team is that much worse than the 2011-12 season? That team also started 3-16-1, including wins against Brown, RIT, and ArizonaMinnesota State. Like this year, that team had a lot of trouble scoring and was coming off a season where an extremely talented goalie left early. It's not much comfort to say that things have been this bad recently, but I don't remember this level of fan angst that year. Thoughts?

We didn't lose to Arizona State in 2011-12. What else really needs to be said?

Comment

I have said in a previous post that the ECAC doesn't start until January.
                          We are only 3 points out of 7th place,
                          I don't think that we can get any higher than that, but I will be here all year rooting for that 7th place finish.
                          Maybe the momentum from that will lead to better things in the tournament.
                          At this point, I wish I could say that I believe in that, but I am a fan and I will wish and hope for better things.
                          As for the angst, I don't remember being outplayed to badly by what could possibly be considered the worst team in the league.
                          Or blowing a two goal lead to them in the last 10 minutes of the game.
                          Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                          Benjamin Franklin
                          The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                          Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                            I have said in a previous post that the ECAC doesn't start until January.
                            We are only 3 points out of 7th place,
                            I don't think that we can get any higher than that, but I will be here all year rooting for that 7th place finish.
                            Maybe the momentum from that will lead to better things in the tournament.
                            At this point, I wish I could say that I believe in that, but I am a fan and I will wish and hope for better things.
                            As for the angst, I don't remember being outplayed to badly by what could possibly be considered the worst team in the league.
                            Or blowing a two goal lead to them in the last 10 minutes of the game.
                            Oh, and the one team we did beat in ECAC play, we almost blew it against them, too.

Comment

Lipstick on a pig it's still a pig
                              I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

• Originally posted by vicious View Post
                                Largely agree. Since the end of the 2011-12 season we are 66-85-22 (.445). Fan patience has pretty much run out, at least from what I hear at HFH. In 2011-12 we were still just a couple of seasons removed from making the NCAAs and there was some cause for optimism, but it's been mediocre at best since then and not even a whiff of the league semifinals or another NCAA berth while our neighbors at the other end of Route 7 with a lesser facility and no scholarships are raising banners and stocking the trophy case.
                                Never even should of mAde the NCAA they year if they used real people and not pairwise we would of skipped the 7-0 beat down
                                I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Working...
                                X