Bentley Begins Process to Build On-Campus Rink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bentley Begins Process to Build On-Campus Rink

Why does Bentley currently not play in the Waltham rink? Pretty similar to JAR iirc, and a lot closer to campus...

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
      I'm hoping this will start the process of cashing in on some of those return dates Bentley has saved up. Seeing some Boston area schools at the new facility would provide for a great atmosphere. Not sure of any return commitments per se, but NU, BU, and Harvard have all been paid visits.
      Not sure it's really a "save up" deal, as I'm sure some of the big name schools are paying you guys for the NC game (usually in the form of subsidizing travel), essentially making it a one-and-done. We only recently started giving return visits to Atlantic teams around 2011 or so, but the leagues seeing Hockey East on the scheudle more often seem to be the Big Ten and the ECAC.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
        Why does Bentley currently not play in the Waltham rink? Pretty similar to JAR iirc, and a lot closer to campus...
        Probably has to do with rink rental. Have to assume the new on-campus rink will be one that Bentley owns.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
          If you're referring to the one on Totten Pond Road, I don't think that has any seating????

Trivia Question: Who remembers the name of the ski hill that used to be across the street and up a bit from that MDC rink? Bentley Ski Club used to practice there. It's now apartments iirc.
          Bentley University Hockey
          On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

This is great news! Nice for Atlantic hockey in general. I am also pleased to see that the words that were spoken by Dean Shepardson on the game broadcast a couple of weeks ago were not just lip service. Well done!

Comment

If you're referring to the one on Totten Pond Road, I don't think that has any seating????

Trivia Question: Who remembers the name of the ski hill that used to be across the street and up a bit from that MDC rink? Bentley Ski Club used to practice there. It's now apartments iirc.
              Prospect Hill - http://www.nelsap.org/ma/prospecthill.html
              Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
              "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
                Congrats.

If you guys beat out RIT to a spot in the ECAC I will ragequit.
                I don't think that Bentley would be considered unless they also start a women's team.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

The hotel RIT stays at when playing Bentley is near this rink and I stopped in one time. There is indeed almost no seating. Nicer rink, but nowhere to put a decent set of bleachers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    I don't think that Bentley would be considered unless they also start a women's team.
                    Hockey East it is, then. :-D

If I were a betting man, I don't think Bentley is going anywhere with regards to conference affiliation. Even if a tangential case could be made for Hockey East (and I struggle to conceive of one), the last thing that conference needs is another Eastern Mass program.

And if the requirement for a women's program is indeed the case for ECAC (had never thought of that), I don't see the added cost involved going over well.

There are plenty of other arguments to be made for either case, but I don't see any of them carrying enough weight. In the end, a new arena alongside the conference maximum of scholarship equivalencies should put Bentley at/near the top of AHA with regard to financial commitments.
                    Bentley University Hockey
                    On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Hockey East it is, then. :-D

If I were a betting man, I don't think Bentley is going anywhere with regards to conference affiliation. Even if a tangential case could be made for Hockey East (and I struggle to conceive of one), the last thing that conference needs is another Eastern Mass program.

And if the requirement for a women's program is indeed the case for ECAC (had never thought of that), I don't see the added cost involved going over well.

There are plenty of other arguments to be made for either case, but I don't see any of them carrying enough weight. In the end, a new arena alongside the conference maximum of scholarship equivalencies should put Bentley at/near the top of AHA with regard to financial commitments.
                      Agree entirely. I do not think that Hart Rink at Holy Cross would be acceptable to Hockey East either. Atlantic Hockey teams need to stick together, and try to add another team in the eastern sector for a return to an even number of teams.

We are still talking about 2018-2019 as the earliest that a rink might open on Bentley's campus, so even this year's freshmen will have graduated by then.

Comment

You think it's bad reading about it, try going to a game there. Yes, that is also their practice facility. I've been there dozens of times, and still have trouble finding it sometimes.

A new arena was the only logical step. It was simply a matter of finding the right circumstances to make the commitment. Bentley is a conservative institution run by conservative people.
                        If you are a Bentley fan, perhaps you'll find this story amusing.

My wife, before she went to culinary school and became a chef, was a property manager for Broadmoor Development here in Omaha.

In the late '80's, Broadmoor built an apartment complex here in Omaha that my wife was in charge of the construction of. Her boss let her pick the name of the complex. One of the two guys that owned the company drove a Bentley. Presto! Bentley Apartments!

Cut to the '13'-14' college hockey season and Bentley is here in Omaha to play UNO for the very first time. I asked her the Friday night of the first game if she felt guilty rooting against Bentley.

She whacked me.
                        Last edited by Red Cows; 03-11-2015, 11:38 PM.

Comment

That was the one I was thinking of.... Maybe I'm remembering the inside wrong.

Prospect Hill!

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                            If you are a Bentley fan, perhaps you'll find this story amusing.

My wife, before she went to culinary school and became a chef, was a property manager for Broadmoor Development here in Omaha.

In the late '80's, Broadmoor built an apartment complex here in Omaha that my wife was in charge of the construction of. Her boss let her pick the name of the complex. One of the two guys that owned the company drove a Bentley. Presto! Bentley Apartments!

Cut to the '13'-14' college hockey season and Bentley is here in Omaha to play UNO for the very first time. I asked her the Friday night of the first game if she felt guilty rooting against Bentley.

She whacked me.
                            Great story, Red Cows. :-)

I followed those two Falcons games in Omaha on my iPhone while leading a geology field trip in northern Maine during Columbus Day weekend in 2013; no one there understood why I was excited about Bentley winning that first game.

About Prospect Hill near the Waltham rink with limited seating on Totten Pond Road, the top is the highest elevation in Waltham and provides excellent views to the west and south. The old ski slope has grown in with vegetation, testament to the regeneration rates of temperate zone trees and shrubs, but remains undeveloped, and primo for hiking, picnicking, etc.

Will be interesting to see who visits for our opening game, whenever that happens; I am thinking that our inaugural opponent might be Holy Cross, but Omaha, the Michigan Wolverines, BU, and several other teams owe us a return visit and might draw more than the usual fan base. We beat BU at Agganis last season; good timing!

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              We beat BU at Agganis last season; good timing!
                              Hm? Wasn't last season cancelled because of lack of interest?
                              Boston University 2014
                              It's all part of the plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                Will be interesting to see who visits for our opening game, whenever that happens; I am thinking that our inaugural opponent might be Holy Cross, but Omaha, the Michigan Wolverines, BU, and several other teams owe us a return visit and might draw more than the usual fan base. We beat BU at Agganis last season; good timing!
                                Isn't there a tradition about not playing a conference opponent when opening a new rink?

Technically I doubt the scheduling agreement between the schools had any language about the BUs / Michigans etc owing a return visit. For better or worse that's usually how it goes when a smaller conference team schedules a larger conference one. That doesn't mean a team like that wouldn't come to take part in opening night festivities.

Comment

Working...
                                X