Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harvard crimson 2017-18

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
    As for the Crimson, the amount of injuries and defections from the program have left them with a short bench. This isn't a new phenomenon. They have been dealing with this for several years and it has caught up to them in the past two seasons. They do have more talent this year and perhaps with a couple of strong recruiting classes, better health and having everyone on the same page and committed to the program, they will return to the top four of the ECAC again. A lot of 'ifs' but certainly reasonable.
    I don’t know anything about defections or needing to get on the same page or being committed, but injuries have certainly been a problem, which makes it tough to get in any sort of a groove, though they seem to be skating their tails off. Consider this season an extended boot camp, with BC as the drill instructor.
    Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 02-08-2018, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
      I don’t know anything about defections or needing to get on the same page or being committed, but injuries have certainly been a problem, which makes it tough to get in any sort of a groove, though they seem to be skating their tails off. Consider this season an extended boot camp, with BC as the drill instructor.
      I've don't claim to know anything about hockey but this program needs a coaching change. It's easy to see when players are not playing for their coach...that's what I'm seeing.
      It's a shame because there is some real talent there.

It's time

Comment

Originally posted by Quiet Riot View Post
        I've don't claim to know anything about hockey but this program needs a coaching change. It's easy to see when players are not playing for their coach...that's what I'm seeing.
        It's a shame because there is some real talent there.

It's time
        Well, I can’t claim to know a whole lot about hockey myself, certainly not enough to know that 13, 14 or 15 mostly young skaters and 2 young goalies who are facing the most talented ECAC in years are not “playing for their coach.”

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
          Well, I can’t claim to know a whole lot about hockey myself, certainly not enough to know that 13, 14 or 15 mostly young skaters and 2 young goalies who are facing the most talented ECAC in years are not “playing for their coach.”
          It's true and it's time

Comment

Originally posted by Quiet Riot View Post
            It's true and it's time
            I vote for Lee-J
            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Shout out to the seniors for their dedication and hard work. Congrats and best wishes going forward. And I would be remiss if I didn't mention Karly Heffernan and Lexie Laing who have been injured and unable to play. Not sure if Karly has any eligibility left or if she was in school but I'm guessing she is done in May. Just a shame they both couldn't finish up this year on the ice as well. Here's hoping for great health and a bright future for both.

Harvard is back in the playoffs thanks to today's win over RPI. They won't make it past the first round but it's better than missing out entirely.

Comment

Former Harvard hockey player scores 100% of the Unified Korean Team's goal production....

You heard that right and yea, it's Randi Griffin '10 (or thereabouts) who scored the team's lone goal. Qualified to play on the team due to her mother's Korean origin, she has been playing in Korea for four years now while putting her doctoral studies in evolutionary anthropology at Duke on hold. You may remember her last-minute goal-scoring heroics in crucial games at the end of her senior year.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...998/336270002/

Comment

Not sure, but (1) Heffernan is in the junior class, hasn't played at all the past two years, but has still been listed on the roster and (2) Zarzecki to OSU is the only defection I can recall at the moment (I suspect that M. Parker to BU may have been due to an Ivy rule regarding grad students with remaining NCAA eligibility). Are there others?

We all remember Ling Ling Lok who dropped the sport after the third game of her first year, but that was a very long time ago

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                    Shout out to the seniors for their dedication and hard work. Congrats and best wishes going forward. And I would be remiss if I didn't mention Karly Heffernan and Lexie Laing who have been injured and unable to play. Not sure if Karly has any eligibility left or if she was in school but I'm guessing she is done in May. Just a shame they both couldn't finish up this year on the ice as well. Here's hoping for great health and a bright future for both.

Harvard is back in the playoffs thanks to today's win over RPI. They won't make it past the first round but it's better than missing out entirely.
                    I am under the impression that Lexie Laing withdrew so that she could come back and play next season. I doubt she would give up a year of eligibility unless there was no other option available (NCAA rules limitation or career-ending injury) - not in her family's DNA....

Comment

Originally posted by Watson Rink View Post
                      Not sure, but (1) Heffernan is in the junior class, hasn't played at all the past two years, but has still been listed on the roster and (2) Zarzecki to OSU is the only defection I can recall at the moment (I suspect that M. Parker to BU may have been due to an Ivy rule regarding grad students with remaining NCAA eligibility). Are there others?

We all remember Ling Ling Lok who dropped the sport after the third game of her first year, but that was a very long time ago
                      This is Karly's senior year. Whether she plays or not, she graduates in May if she is registered and attending classes. I'm not sure about her eligibility going forward but her injuries must be pretty serious for her not to be able to play for two years. I doubt we will see her next year.

Regarding the players other than Zarzecki who have left, they include Kyra Colbert and Val Turgeon who quit this year. In addition to not having Lexie Laing and Karly due to injuries, add Dani K who has missed significant time in the past two seasons and never got a chance to realize her potential. Add it up and the Crimson's depth was shredded. That makes tonight's win over SLU even more impressive.

Comment

Season wrap: many injuries = not many skaters. For much of the second half of the season Harvard was dressing 14-15 players, 13 in one game. Lots of ice time for everybody, but that takes its toll. (Some color guy last week said H had 14 different line combos this year . . . hard to believe, but possible, given the intermittent comings and goings.) But the energy level seemed to remain high, despite the odds, with so many high-ranked opponents. It’s going to be fun to see all these freshmen progress. Gilmore, Jovanovich and the sophomore Hughes were an exciting line to watch (Gilmore had the most freshman points since Vaillancourt in ‘04-‘05). We’ll miss the all-zones determination of Mullins, but can look forward to the return of Fusco’s insistent presence everywhere, a new factor this year. I like the new D, but short of the return of an Edney or a Picard, it’s going to take time. We’ll need next year’s recruits to at least match the level of this year’s to get back to home ice next February. No glory, but lots of guts this season - - - true building.
                        Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 02-28-2018, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Gilmore D1 rookie of the month

http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/wice...20180305i86nrb

Comment

Working...
                          X