Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-2017: Vol III - Wait, we're still playing?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-2017: Vol III - Wait, we're still playing?!?

Originally posted by Felger View Post
    For those who missed it, Coach Mad Again was up to his old antics in the postgame last night....
    Tonight too. He actually cut his press conference off because he said he didn't want to "risk a suspension."

Comment

Fun while it lasted. Unfortunately, as someone said on the series thread ... it ends in another "Umiliation".

Umiliation (you-MIL-ee-AY-shun): n, the act of ending a UNH Men's Hockey season in a cringingly poor, embarrassing way. See spit the bit, gack, choke-a-rama among many others.

Jarring in effect ... usually happens right at the precise point where the UNH faithful begin to believe in the team. Something goes awry - an event or series of events that most other teams can somehow find a way to stem the bleeding, and at least try to turn the tide. But in an acute state of Umiliation, UNH players are observed to fall into widespread panic, forget to follow the basics, lose their focus, compete level drops to negative numbers, and post-season elimination games - y'know, the one goal games that usually go down to the wire - are decided by lopsided margins - and the head coach stands catatonically still behind the bench, arms crossed, wishing himself invisible.

I'm still saying Coach is back to chase the NRN next season, but if this was it ... wow, how sadly fitting.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Presser this week? UNH needs to get the new staff in place quickly and finally hit the ground running and also make decisions on players on current roster.
        Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-12-2017, 06:54 PM.
        The Souza record:
        15-16 10th place
        16-17 10th place
        17-18 11th place
        18-19 8th place
        19-20 9th place
        20-21 10th place
        21-22 9th place
        22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post

Presser this week? UNH needs to get the new staff in place quickly and finally hit the ground running and also make decisions on players on current roster.
          Honest question, who would you see them cutting on the current roster and what do you see as possible/gettable replacements. If my count is correct we have have 4 departures and 8 arrivals for next season.

Comment

Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
            Honest question, who would you see them cutting on the current roster and what do you see as possible/gettable replacements. If my count is correct we have have 4 departures and 8 arrivals for next season.
            This will not be a "new boss" sending a message of cleaning house to send a signal. It's hard to send that message when you have been part of the stink the past two years.

I would not worry about the in/out numbers, as UNH has scholarship money that they have pocketed if my guess is correct. Typically you look at the fourth line and 6/7/8 defensemen and it includes pretty decently regarded kids early in their careers (unless you are a BC, which gives out lots of fulls, so fills the fourth line with lower quality kids like Shero). UNH was never top heaving in giving fulls -- if you recall, when Borek left, his supporters said one of his skills was getting lots of kids to take smaller deals. That means the second and third line players at UNH should each have partial deals, leaving lots of partial kids for the fourth line. However, UNH barely recruited the first two years after Borek left, and they played short handed all year. So the fourth liners Cefalu was a surprise recruited "walk on," Miller was an in-state low partial, and Nonis I presume was a favor to his dad, as was Sacco. None should be getting anything more than nominal scholarship money. That means there was unspent scholarship money this year. In addition, I think Boyd, with his health, may not be on the team. For "cutting" a players, I don't think they need to do so to free up money, but there are several who probably will be told that they are likely to be in the stands much of next season, while the new coach's kids -- Maass, Gildon and hopefully a late forward (Limoges) get the bulk of the playing time.

I'm more interested in who Souza hires as his two assistants. He's got a lot to learn and making a play for a Jerry Keefe/Daryn Yopyk sort would be interesting, though I don't think they would cast their lot with an unproven coach who they outrank. Does he go for a guy with strong resume trying to rehap his role in hockey -- Seth Appert? Leaman hired Steve Miller, Jackson hired Jamie Russell/Paul Pooley types? Does he have enough standing to hire a proven recruiter, even though that might be a threat to his own position). Wisconsin, for example (leaving aside that they hired a real proven coach -- Granato) also hired old hat former assistant/fired Ohio State coach Osiecki. Or does Souza goes with a comfortable UNH/Mass/GBL connections -- Mark White/Sean Collins/Mark Mowers even though they are equally inexperienced.
            Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-12-2017, 08:24 PM.
            The Souza record:
            15-16 10th place
            16-17 10th place
            17-18 11th place
            18-19 8th place
            19-20 9th place
            20-21 10th place
            21-22 9th place
            22-23 10th place

Comment

I think it's a done deal, and probably has been for a while. I heard rumblings on this in October and shared on the board in November. Chuck, I think you mentioned that you'd also heard whispers.

My guess is that it happens quickly. DU did so much for the program, and certainly gets my gratitude. If this is the end, it's a tough way to close up shop.
              Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

This will not be a "new boss" sending a message of cleaning house to send a signal. It's hard to send that message when you have been part of the stink the past two years.

I would not worry about the in/out numbers, as UNH has scholarship money that they have pocketed if my guess is correct. Typically you look at the fourth line and 6/7/8 defensemen and it includes pretty decently regarded kids early in their careers (unless you are a BC, which gives out lots of fulls, so fills the fourth line with lower quality kids like Shero). UNH was never top heaving in giving fulls -- if you recall, when Borek left, his supporters said one of his skills was getting lots of kids to take smaller deals. That means the second and third line players at UNH should each have partial deals, leaving lots of partial kids for the fourth line. However, UNH barely recruited the first two years after Borek left, and they played short handed all year. So the fourth liners Cefalu was a surprise recruited "walk on," Miller was an in-state low partial, and Nonis I presume was a favor to his dad, as was Sacco. None should be getting anything more than nominal scholarship money. That means there was unspent scholarship money this year. In addition, I think Boyd, with his health, may not be on the team. For "cutting" a players, I don't think they need to do so to free up money, but there are several who probably will be told that they are likely to be in the stands much of next season, while the new coach's kids -- Maass, Gildon and hopefully a late forward (Limoges) get the bulk of the playing time.

I'm more interested in who Souza hires as his two assistants. He's got a lot to learn and making a play for a Jerry Keefe/Daryn Yopyk sort would be interesting, though I don't think they would cast their lot with an unproven coach who they outrank. Does he go for a guy with strong resume trying to rehap his role in hockey -- Seth Appert? Leaman hired Steve Miller, Jackson hired Jamie Russell/Paul Pooley types? Does he have enough standing to hire a proven recruiter, even though that might be a threat to his own position). Wisconsin, for example (leaving aside that they hired a real proven coach -- Granato) also hired old hat former assistant/fired Ohio State coach Osiecki. Or does Souza goes with a comfortable UNH/Mass/GBL connections -- Mark White/Sean Collins/Mark Mowers even though they are equally inexperienced.
                Interesting comments. So are you saying that Glenn Stewart is a goner? I hope so since I can't see anything he brought to the table recruiting wise. The number one need for UNH is someone who can coach defense, especially breakouts. Watching them near ice level, as I did last night,,is painful. I walked away from the game thinking how badly the team played fundamentally. Your talent level can be abysmal, but the basics of how to move the puck out of the zone should not be a foreign concept. Failure to do this is on the coaches, both recruiting wise and on ice coaching.

Second is incumbents competing for jobs. If Souza is taking the reins and, if he is bringing in two new assistants, they need to be ruthless. Impart the message to some of these slackers or,guys who just can't cut it that you are not going to play. Either leave for D3 or expect to wear a suit in the stands for the better portion of the season.

The most important part of Souza's career starts right now. He blows this and he is a short termer. But, best of luck Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                  I think it's a done deal, and probably has been for a while. I heard rumblings on this in October and shared on the board in November. Chuck, I think you mentioned that you'd also heard whispers.

My guess is that it happens quickly. DU did so much for the program, and certainly gets my gratitude. If this is the end, it's a tough way to close up shop.
                  I whole heartedly agree with this comment. I have been a big defender of Umile over the years and, frankly, I would not take most of what I have said back. I truly believe that he rejuvenated the program after the dismal eighties. He allowed his assistants free rein to bring in guys who brought the program to heights never attained before or since. His failure is putting that same trust and faith in people who didn't deserve it. That's on him and, unfortunately, it is going to be part of his legacy.

When Charlie Holt retired (and he was younger then than Umile is now), he went out on a dismal note. I felt bad for Charlie back then because, ultimately, he was a good guy, a hockey intellectual as it were. I hoped people would ultimately remember him for all the good he brought to the game and, in the end, my hopes were realized. I'll say the same for Dick. I feel fortunate that I had a professional relationship with him for number of years. For awhile I think I knew what made him tick. I can't imagine how he is taking these last couple of years as coach. It's hard to believe that the guy I knew all,those years is now disengaged, but it appears so. I'm his age and I've seen it happen countless times. It's easy for others to pinpoint the time when a guy is all done. Not so much when you are that guy.

Comment

so all y'all are expecting umile to announce he IS retired as of now?
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Well, with Marty we could have a creative option, like Souza will do much of the coaching but Dick gets to pick 10 games to guest-coach next year as emeritus coach.
                      The Souza record:
                      15-16 10th place
                      16-17 10th place
                      17-18 11th place
                      18-19 8th place
                      19-20 9th place
                      20-21 10th place
                      21-22 9th place
                      22-23 10th place

Comment

Well, with Marty we could have a creative option, like Souza will do much of the coaching but Dick gets to pick 10 games to guest-coach next year as emeritus coach.
                        Marty being Marty, always the smartest guy in the room.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          Agreed 100%. Short, sweet and sums it up perfectly.
                          Should be closed immediately.
                          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Coach Umile's post-game comments ... make of them what you will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLa7dlfarhk

Seems pretty emotional at times, pretty resigned at others.

I don't know if tonight broke him, or will give him renewed determination to finish better next season.

Unfortunately for Coach, that decision is really no longer up to him ...

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                              Should be closed immediately.
                              If you're talking about this thread agree immediately! Why don't you start the off season thread Darius!!

Feeling nostalgic looking back on TyK's interview with C-H-C some 4 years ago as he entered as a true Freshman. Wish he had gotten that HE title...but still had a great tenure.

http://unhhockeyblog.blogspot.com/20...-team-usa.html
                              Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-13-2017, 12:12 PM.
                              I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Working...
                              X