X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

Originally posted by Dan View Post
    Has to be, thus little downside. If you can upgrade your fourth line for free, why wouldn't you? If he can be Johnny Rogers he's a big upgrade over the others. Rogers scored 40 pts over his last three seasons and was always dependable defensively...
    Exactly what I was thinking when I tossed out the question. No money = no risk. This player is a free scratch ticket somebody gave you...

Now if there is scholarship money involved I have a completely different set of thoughts... mostly involving 4 letter words.
    "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Sr.Salvaggio--Sr.McNicholas---Jr.Vela
      Sr.Eiserman---So.Blackburn----So.Grasso
      So.BVR--------Jr.Nazarian-----Fr.C.Kelleher
      Sr.C.Miller---So.Fregona------Fr.MacAdams
      Fr.Cipollone--Jr.Cefalu-------So.Sacco
      Fr.Sato

Sr.Marks-----So.Wyse
      Fr.Maass-----Fr.Gildon
      Sr.Chanter---Jr.Dawson
      Fr.J.Miller----Fr.Darcy
      Sr.Boyd???----So.Nonis

Sr.Tirone---Sr.Clark---Fr.Robinson

Sr.Nazarian---Jr.Blackburn----Jr.Grasso
      Fr.________---Fr.Crookshank---Sr.Vela
      Jr.BVR--------So.C.Kelleher---Jr.Fregona
      Fr.Esposito---Sr.C.Miller-----So.MacAdams
      So.Cipollone--Sr.Cefalu-------Jr.Sacco
      So.Sato

Jr.Wyse------So.Gildon
      So.Maass-----So.J.Miller
      Sr.Dawson----Fr.Green
      So.Darcy----Jr.Nonis
      Fr.Verrier or Bahn

So.Robinson---Fr.________

So._________--So.Crookshank---Jr.C.Kelleher
      Fr.Wazny------Sr.Blackburn----Sr.Grasso
      Sr.BVR--------Sr.Fregona------Jr.MacAdams
      So.Esposito---Fr.________-----Fr.________
      Jr.Cipollone--Jr.Sato-------Sr.Sacco

Jr.Gildon----Sr.Wyse
      Jr.Maass----Jr.J.Miller
      So.Green----Fr.Bahn
      Jr.Darcy----Sr.Nonis
      Fr.Verrier---

Jr.Robinson---So._________
      The Souza record:
      15-16 10th place
      16-17 10th place
      17-18 11th place
      18-19 8th place
      19-20 9th place
      20-21 10th place
      21-22 9th place
      22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
        Exactly what I was thinking when I tossed out the question. No money = no risk. This player is a free scratch ticket somebody gave you...

Now if there is scholarship money involved I have a completely different set of thoughts... mostly involving 4 letter words.
        I see potential and big upside. Fast and descent skills = all the positives that others have mentioned. I see him possibly suffering from being under utilized and the real potential not being allowed out until later years. In my mind he is raw and would benefit from strong coaching to bring out his best. Yes, lets channel our inner-Bazin. Older, but made for the big sheet and so new to the hockey scene (that most D1 kids have experienced), could be the next diamond.

Comment

Two more Bazin gushes within six posts on a UNH recruiting thread. I swear, everytime a Wildcat fan talks about Norm the UML coach must have to light up a cigarette.

Just for the record, when I read about Sato (after the obvious jokes that came to mind) the first coaching analogy I came up with was Walsh. Reminded me of the outside the box, find them anywhere, thinking that he had when he was building the UMaine program. Wasn't JYR working as a fireman when he recruited him? (Or do I have that story wrong. Memory does play tricks as we get older.) Not comparing Sato's ability to a player like Jean Yves, (but could he be another Ingraham?) just saying I like the approach.
          Last edited by Felger; 04-07-2017, 09:47 AM.
          UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
            Two more Bazin gushes within six posts on a UNH recruiting thread. I swear, everytime a Wildcat fan talks about Norm the UML coach must have to light up a cigarette.

Just for the record, when I read about Sato (after the obvious jokes that came to mind) the first coaching analogy I came up with was Walsh. Reminded me of the outside the box, find them anywhere, thinking that he had when he was building the UMaine program. Wasn't JYR working as a fireman when he recruited him? (Or do I have that story wrong. Memory does play tricks as we get older.) Not comparing Sato's ability to a player like Jean Yves, (but could he be another Ingraham?) just saying I like the approach.
            I wouldn't expect him to ever score 85 points in a season - a la Ingraham - but you're larger point is a good one. The most exciting part of this signing is that UNH will apparently no longer ignore international players. The idea that the work required to get a non-NA citizen into school is too much to deal with is out the window. It doesn't create contacts in Europe - but at least UNH is finally open to the idea.

Whatever Sato turns out to be, that's a good thing. First two DU goals yesterday scored by an Austrian and a Finn. Int'l players can make a difference and it was always a horrible recruiting strategy to simply ignore a fertile and burgeoning recruiting ground...

the more I think if Sato and his potential DI impact, the more I think of Haydar* with speed.

* Jeff Haydar, calm down
            Last edited by Dan; 04-07-2017, 11:56 AM.
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

* Jeff Haydar, calm down
              Nice save.
              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                Sr.Salvaggio--Sr.McNicholas---Jr.Vela
                Sr.Eiserman---So.Blackburn----So.Grasso
                So.BVR--------Jr.Nazarian-----Fr.C.Kelleher
                Sr.C.Miller---So.Fregona------Fr.MacAdams
                Fr.Cipollone--Jr.Cefalu-------So.Sacco
                Fr.Sato

Sr.Marks-----So.Wyse
                Fr.Maass-----Fr.Gildon
                Sr.Chanter---Jr.Dawson
                Fr.J.Miller----Fr.Darcy
                Sr.Boyd???----So.Nonis

Sr.Tirone---Sr.Clark---Fr.Robinson

Sr.Nazarian---Jr.Blackburn----Jr.Grasso
                Fr.________---Fr.Crookshank---Sr.Vela
                Jr.BVR--------So.C.Kelleher---Jr.Fregona
                Fr.Esposito---Sr.C.Miller-----So.MacAdams
                So.Cipollone--Sr.Cefalu-------Jr.Sacco
                So.Sato

Jr.Wyse------So.Gildon
                So.Maass-----So.J.Miller
                Sr.Dawson----Fr.Green
                So.Darcy----Jr.Nonis
                Fr.Verrier or Bahn

So.Robinson---Fr.________

So._________--So.Crookshank---Jr.C.Kelleher
                Fr.Wazny------Sr.Blackburn----Sr.Grasso
                Sr.BVR--------Sr.Fregona------Jr.MacAdams
                So.Esposito---Fr.________-----Fr.________
                Jr.Cipollone--Jr.Sato-------Sr.Sacco

Jr.Gildon----Sr.Wyse
                Jr.Maass----Jr.J.Miller
                So.Green----Fr.Bahn
                Jr.Darcy----Sr.Nonis
                Fr.Verrier---

Jr.Robinson---So._________
                Watcher, would you consider switching Eiserman and Vela? I believe the Eiserman is much stronger on the puck, better in the corners and the best setup man in the top 6. Watch him for 2 games and you know how and when he will put the puck in front of the net. Vela gives the 2nd line more size and muscle and they can all score.

Comment

I wouldn't expect him to ever score 85 points in a season - a la Ingraham - but you're larger point is a good one. The most exciting part of this signing is that UNH will apparently no longer ignore international players. The idea that the work required to get a non-NA citizen into school is too much to deal with is out the window. It doesn't create contacts in Europe - but at least UNH is finally open to the idea.
                  Exactly. Next up - the burgeoning Italian youth hockey scene, due to Souza's contacts from his playing days.

Whatever Sato turns out to be, that's a good thing. First two DU goals yesterday scored by an Austrian and a Finn. Int'l players can make a difference and it was always a horrible recruiting strategy to simply ignore a fertile and burgeoning recruiting ground...
                  Dan, I don't want to be snarky ... but at least in a UNH thread, the DU references can be initially confusing, what with our legendary soon-to-be-ex-coach sharing the same initials as the soon-to-be-D1-champions? ((and isn't there just a wee bit of irony in that BTW)) Can the school/program just be "Denver" in here, while DU remains for our coach emeritus?

the more I think if Sato and his potential DI impact, the more I think of Haydar* with speed.

* Jeff Haydar, calm down
                  Good one.

P.S. to 'Watcher - isn't Clark technically a junior next season eligibility-wise?
                  Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                    Watcher, would you consider switching Eiserman and Vela? I believe the Eiserman is much stronger on the puck, better in the corners and the best setup man in the top 6. Watch him for 2 games and you know how and when he will put the puck in front of the net. Vela gives the 2nd line more size and muscle and they can all score.
                    No. This is the way it will be. It is written and cannot be changed.

P.S. to 'Watcher - isn't Clark technically a junior next season eligibility-wise?
                    You suspect he'll come back as a fifth season 26 year old to see action in three games? I don't think Souza wants to start his first year with a stopgap goalie situation of untested Robinson and "proven" fifth year guy. He'll bring in a new guy to fill the spot until Commessio.
                    The Souza record:
                    15-16 10th place
                    16-17 10th place
                    17-18 11th place
                    18-19 8th place
                    19-20 9th place
                    20-21 10th place
                    21-22 9th place
                    22-23 10th place

Comment

So it is written, so it shall be! Not sure who said that but it sounds good! Maybe it was you, haha!
                      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Lov Ya Watcher, just looking for some thoughts and discussion.

You suspect he'll come back as a fifth season 26 year old to see action in three games? I don't think Souza wants to start his first year with a stopgap goalie situation of untested Robinson and "proven" fifth year guy. He'll bring in a new guy to fill the spot until Commessio.
                        See, On this I could not agree more. Have no clue what the original promise was, but this guy got screwed in my mind. 26 and no resume in a resume driven field. Ouch!

Comment

Tend to agree, 'Watcher. I've heard rumblings before that Clark might not even be back for NEXT season, but that should play itself out in the coming months. I figure Souza will get a full year next season to see Robinson up close and personal, and that should enable him to make the evaluation as to whether Robinson is fit and ready to be the #1 guy starting his soph season (Souza's first season in charge) OR if he's going to need to go get someone to push Robinson. That's unlikely to work for Clark in either scenario ... unless somehow Tirone gets hurt next season, Robinson's not ready, and then Clark gets another chance to shine, and finally grabs it.

But yeah, that's why I said "technically" 'cuz at this point, it's crystal clear that Clark isn't highly regarded by Coach Umile, who brought in Tirone a semester early after "L'Affaire DeSmith" dropped the job in Clark's lap, and has rarely played him since. Unless Souza feels very strongly otherwise - or unless Clark develops a sudden interest in a graduate degree - it's difficult seeing Clark going longer than this time next year before getting on with the rest of his life. Ironically, at around the same time as the guy who lost faith in him 2+ years ago.

Clark's career arc at UNH is just plan weird. I can't offhand think of another goalie anywhere in D-1 who started his career as #1 (thanks CDS), spent the next two seasons (when healthy) as a mostly forgotten, very distant #2, and will now almost certainly finish his career as the #3 goalie. You don't see that every day, boys and girls ...
                          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

And the #1 isn't Ken Dryden...

There are times I wonder what Tirone is doing and what exactly would he need to do to get pulled.
                            "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                              Dan, I don't want to be snarky ... but at least in a UNH thread, the DU references can be initially confusing, what with our legendary soon-to-be-ex-coach sharing the same initials as the soon-to-be-D1-champions? ((and isn't there just a wee bit of irony in that BTW)) Can the school/program just be "Denver" in here, while DU remains for our coach emeritus?
                              Or......, we could go back to using "The Umileator" instead of "DU" on our threads?

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                Or......, we could go back to using "The Umileator" instead of "DU" on our threads?
                                I prefer Bashar al-Assad. Clinging to power while destroying the thing he claims to care about. It's going to take more than tomahawk missles to get him to relinquish power.
                                Last edited by NCAA watcher; 04-08-2017, 08:04 AM.
                                The Souza record:
                                15-16 10th place
                                16-17 10th place
                                17-18 11th place
                                18-19 8th place
                                19-20 9th place
                                20-21 10th place
                                21-22 9th place
                                22-23 10th place

Comment

Working...
                                X