Brown Hockey 2016-17: The Importance of Being Ernst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2016-17: The Importance of Being Ernst

Not a bad weekend. Our first line is breaking out as one of the better lines in the ECAC. But we're not going to score many goals if Middleton is our second line center, as he was on Friday. Whittet made a good adjustment for Saturday's game by bumping the Beaudoin line up in the pecking order and giving them more ice time. Marchin is finally putting up some points. Nieto is still a very raw talent who makes some mistakes, but he could easily develop into a Mike Clemente-caliber goalie.

Brady Schoo was one of the best players on the ice yesterday, and it'd be a massive shame if he doesn't play more going forward. I think our best pairings at the moment are:

Gottlieb-McArdle
    Schoo-Giuttari
    Wynne-Tegtmeyer

I'd like to see Marchin on the top line to see if he can continue piling up points. Willman worked well with Beaudoin in the few games they played together.I also wish Brink would play more. I think he brings a nice combination of physicality and skill. He and Andrew Doane could be a menace on the same line.

Marchin-Lafferty-Corcoran
    Willman-Beaudoin-Lappin
    Dodd/Aibel-Pryzbek-Bird
    Brink-Middleton-Doane

I think that gives us a good chance to produce offense, utilize our speed, and play physically.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
      Not a bad weekend. Our first line is breaking out as one of the better lines in the ECAC. But we're not going to score many goals if Middleton is our second line center, as he was on Friday. Whittet made a good adjustment for Saturday's game by bumping the Beaudoin line up in the pecking order and giving them more ice time. Marchin is finally putting up some points. Nieto is still a very raw talent who makes some mistakes, but he could easily develop into a Mike Clemente-caliber goalie.

Brady Schoo was one of the best players on the ice yesterday, and it'd be a massive shame if he doesn't play more going forward. I think our best pairings at the moment are:

Gottlieb-McArdle
      Schoo-Giuttari
      Wynne-Tegtmeyer

I'd like to see Marchin on the top line to see if he can continue piling up points. Willman worked well with Beaudoin in the few games they played together.I also wish Brink would play more. I think he brings a nice combination of physicality and skill. He and Andrew Doane could be a menace on the same line.

Marchin-Lafferty-Corcoran
      Willman-Beaudoin-Lappin
      Dodd/Aibel-Pryzbek-Bird
      Brink-Middleton-Doane

I think that gives us a good chance to produce offense, utilize our speed, and play physically.
      Couple of comments on he game and your comments. BTW, I was at the game and attendance so sparse and knowing you would be there, I almost went around asking "RE YOU KDIFF'

First, agree completely with you on Nieto. First goal was a bad one and he knew it and will learn from it. Otherwise, always well positioned. By playoff team he will be truly battle hardened.

Second, I agree completely with you about Schoo. He is really coming on as a defender. Good to see him get a goal as well. Agree with your first two pairings but still not sold on Wynn as a defender (but he does score). I would play Maguire and pair him with Tegtmeyer. BTW, what's up with Wood? In the doghouse? His paly from the times I have seen him seems to be up and down.

Third, I like the Corcoran, Willman and lafferty line. They were flying and buzzing around the ice all game. All three have a scorer's touch and they are looking for each other wih passes. Tough line to defend against. The second line from last night - Beaudoin, Lappin and Marchim - played a strong game. Didn't lose much when they went in after Corcoran's line. Marchin is a beast. Once he is back in the groove of last year, and he getting there, he may be our top player. TYler Bird may not end up as a high scorer but he is an exceptional defensive forward, He never stops skating or going after the puck. His speed gave RPI lots of trouble. I too would like to see Brink play as from the times I have seen him he is a mini-Marchin. Brink, Bird and Dodd who played well could be a good linbe. Having said all that Mliddleton's line as the fourth line gave brown some solid ice time and a score.

Lastly, what happened to the parking lot you tipped me off about? Unaccessible? Is the University trying to reduce attendance even more with no parking available or are they trying to steer business to the paid lot at $3 an hour?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
        Couple of comments on he game and your comments. BTW, I was at the game and attendance so sparse and knowing you would be there, I almost went around asking "RE YOU KDIFF'
        Ha! Funny you say that - I actually wasn't able to make it this weekend. I recently moved to Boston, so it's harder to make it to games now (especially those on Fridays, but this weekend was a no-go for both). I watched part of the Union game and all of RPI on ILDN.

Lastly, what happened to the parking lot you tipped me off about? Unaccessible? Is the University trying to reduce attendance even more with no parking available or are they trying to steer business to the paid lot at $3 an hour?
        I had a similar problem last time I was in town. The answer could be one of two things:

1. The new paid lot that you mentioned is, I think, owned by Brown, so it would make sense for them to shut the other lot since it's technically only for staff anyway.
        2. The lot isn't accessible to the public until after 6:00 p.m. on weekdays. The same could theoretically be true about weekends, though I don't recall encountering such a problem in the past for afternoon games/lacrosse games this past spring.

In any event, I believe the lot farther down Lloyd (across from the Moses Brown softball field) has free parking for Brown athletics games. I've never parked there myself, but I think others have mentioned it before.

EDIT: Here's what the athletics site says. Interesting that it still noted Lot 11 (on Brook St.) as an available lot.

http://www.brownbears.com/athletics/...rections/index
        Last edited by kdiff77; 12-11-2016, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Mark Divver is reporting Alex Brink is out for the year and will attempt to get a medical redshirt.

Comment

Mark Divver is reporting Alex Brink is out for the year and will attempt to get a medical redshirt.
            Explains the lack of ice time. Too bad! I really like his game. The combination of physicality and some skill has always been effective for us under Whittet (Volpatti, Harry Z, Farnham, Hathaway, etc.).

Comment

With no news from Brown to report, an AHL update - Matt Lorito is tied with 2 other players for the AHL scoring lead.

Comment

With no news from Brown to report, an AHL update - Matt Lorito is tied with 2 other players for the AHL scoring lead.
                And yet he can't buy a call-up from the woeful Red Wings. Strange! You'd think a team that struggles to manufacture offense would benefit from injecting some offense into the mix.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                  And yet he can't buy a call-up from the woeful Red Wings. Strange! You'd think a team that struggles to manufacture offense would benefit from injecting some offense into the mix.
                  It's puzzling especially since Detroit was scouting him a lot last year when he played for Albany and its contract offer was much better than the one Albany offered him. I have seen two Ivy Leaguers - Matt, Brian O'Neill - and BC's Joe Whitney play extremely well in the AHL but it looks like their size is holding them back. Too bad for matt as his size is to me a non-issue.

Comment

It's puzzling especially since Detroit was scouting him a lot last year when he played for Albany and its contract offer was much better than the one Albany offered him. I have seen two Ivy Leaguers - Matt, Brian O'Neill - and BC's Joe Whitney play extremely well in the AHL but it looks like their size is holding them back. Too bad for matt as his size is to me a non-issue.
                    ....add Mark Arcobello to that list Mike.
                    Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

I was just getting ready to post this when I saw yo had done so. Interesting that 2 former Brown players - Steele and hathaway - turn into Golden Glovers when they leave brown.
                        BTW, I am taking in my first devils game Monday. Providence is in town and Mark Naclerio, Brown's captain may be playing. He has been out for awile with a concussion.

Merry Christmas Turk!!

Comment

I was just getting ready to post this when I saw yo had done so. Interesting that 2 former Brown players - Steele and hathaway - turn into Golden Glovers when they leave brown.
                          BTW, I am taking in my first devils game Monday. Providence is in town and Mark Naclerio, Brown's captain may be playing. He has been out for awile with a concussion.

Merry Christmas Turk!!
                          Maybe I’ll go to that game myself. Too bad about Naclerio. He had a pretty serious concussion while at Avon Old Farms. Merry Christmas to you too Mike. (maybe Santa can bring both our teams some W’s)

Comment

Didn’t go to the game, had company. Naclerio was loaned to Atlanta (ECHL) today. My guess would be for conditioning.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                              Didn’t go to the game, had company. Naclerio was loaned to Atlanta (ECHL) today. My guess would be for conditioning.
                              perhaps. Providence has added several players who have played well, including Union's Simpson, and he may have trouble getting back on the roster. All depends how he does in Atlanta. BTW, Providence Bruins are a strong AHL club. I was impressed.

Comment

Euler - Are you going to Arizona?

Comment

Working...
                                X