Neutral Zone Scouting Service Ratings of UNH 2017-18 class:
    Gildon 4.75
    Maass 3.75
    Miller 3.75
    Robinson 3.75
    Kelleher 4.25
    MacAdams 3.75
    Sato 3.50
    What is the lowest rating of any player committed to a Hockey East school? 2.5?

Comment

• Originally posted by Agganis View Post
      Exactly. 3.5 or 3.75 - everyone NZ ranks is an 'impact' kid. Just being good enough to get recruited earns you 3 stars out of 5...
      Live Free or Die!!
      Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Agganis View Post
        For the incoming, Hockey East freshman classes - 3.0
        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
          Maybe the burden of being the Jackie Robinson of foreign players (OK, every other DI team has had one, so more like the Pumpsie Green of the Red Sox to Umile's Tom Yawkey)?
          You mean Joe Cronin, right? He was the Red Sox manager (1935-1947), then their GM from 1948-1958, and then became President of the American League from 1959 onwards. Eddie Collins was the Sox GM from 1933-1947. Both were Hall of Fame ballplayers, but both were highly suspect on their "hiring practices", shall we say? And both men had their fingerprints all over the Sox' scouting network before AND after WW2. Pumpsie Green signed in '53 but did not make it up to the big club until 1959, only after Cronin left his post. Coincidence?

I'm not giving Yawkey a pass by any means here (he owned the club, and chose those guys to run it for him) ... but he was hardly a guy who injected himself into discussions on who the club signed (or later drafted) - unlike the George Steinbrenner or Jerry Jones "hands on" types. He was more the "I'll write the checks, you run the team, and let's drink to that" type, and over the years, he was very generous with his money out in the community. So while I have a degree of ambivalence towards Yawkey when this revisionist stuff comes up, I'm absolutely amazed that Cronin has gotten a free pass on this whole situation for so long. I guess it's because his name isn't on a street?

The other entity that's gotten the biggest free pass of all in this rush to revisionism is the City of Boston itself. It was 15 years after the arrival of Pumpsie Green when the name "Louise Day Hicks" became a household term across the country, and it wasn't because she was an open-minded thinker on the issue of race relations. Whether it was Yawkey himself, or his hires Collins, Cronin and/or Pinky Higgins, it happened in Boston, and was tolerated in Boston for a long time. Just sayin' ...

Sorry for taking this off-topic. Yawkey/Pumpsie etc. references in our thread don't come up too often ...
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
            For the incoming, Hockey East freshman classes - 3.0
            Does anyone know what the Neutral Zone star rating equates to? Is a 3.0 a fringe player and 5.0 a star? Any clue on their rating system?

Comment

Chris Dilks' review of the USA U17 team. https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/col...the-ntdp-u17s?

The one name that will be interesting is:

Michael Gildon(Uncommitted)-Gildon was effective here using his speed and aggressiveness. He’s not going to make a lot of skilled offensive plays, but has potential to be one of the better wingers on the team if he continues doing dirty work in tough areas.
              The Souza record:
              15-16 10th place
              16-17 10th place
              17-18 11th place
              18-19 8th place
              19-20 9th place
              20-21 10th place
              21-22 9th place
              22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                Does anyone know what the Neutral Zone star rating equates to? Is a 3.0 a fringe player and 5.0 a star? Any clue on their rating system?
                NZ HISTORICAL STAR RATING BREAKDOWN
                Rating D1% D3% CIS/Other%
                5.0 100 0 0
                4.75 100 0 0
                4.5 100 0 0
                4.25 100 0 0
                4.0 98.8 0 1.2
                3.75 97.7 0 2.3
                3.5 95.5 0.4 4.1
                3.25 13.3 74.4 12.3
                3.0 4.5 85.6 9.9
                2.75 0 96.7 3.3
                2.5 0 97.4 2.6
                2.25 0 91.2 8.8
                2.0 0 67.8 22.2
                UMaine Black Bears Recruit Info Site GO BLUE!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bhall44 View Post
                  NZ HISTORICAL STAR RATING BREAKDOWN
                  Rating D1% D3% CIS/Other%
                  5.0 100 0 0
                  4.75 100 0 0
                  4.5 100 0 0
                  4.25 100 0 0
                  4.0 98.8 0 1.2
                  3.75 97.7 0 2.3
                  3.5 95.5 0.4 4.1
                  3.25 13.3 74.4 12.3
                  3.0 4.5 85.6 9.9
                  2.75 0 96.7 3.3
                  2.5 0 97.4 2.6
                  2.25 0 91.2 8.8
                  2.0 0 67.8 22.2
                  Thanks but I believe this is just an analysis of past player rankings - as in players who in the past got a 5 star rating all (100%) played d1 and players who they rated as 3.25 stars - 13.3% of them ended up D1. What it doesnt tell you is what is the difference between a 5 star and 4.5 star player or a 3.0 star player.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                    Thanks but I believe this is just an analysis of past player rankings - as in players who in the past got a 5 star rating all (100%) played d1 and players who they rated as 3.25 stars - 13.3% of them ended up D1. What it doesnt tell you is what is the difference between a 5 star and 4.5 star player or a 3.0 star player.
                    You asked about fringe player the data says fringe occurs at 3.25 to 3.5. I don't have time to do a thorough analysis but to give you an idea of how many players are rated at each star level, the 1999 birth year has 5 star= 5, 4.75=6, 4.5=11, 4.25=21, 4= ~75 (or more than I want to count), 3.75= (way more than I want to count, 3.5= hopefully this has helped give you a general idea.

Comment

You asked about fringe player the data says fringe occurs at 3.25 to 3.5. I don't have time to do a thorough analysis but to give you an idea of how many players are rated at each star level, the 1999 birth year has 5 star= 5, 4.75=6, 4.5=11, 4.25=21, 4= ~75 (or more than I want to count), 3.75= (way more than I want to count, 3.5= hopefully this has helped give you a general idea.
                      Based on this info I would guess that a 3.75 should be a 4th line forward or 3rd pair D on a HE, NCHC or B1G team, where every team needs a few but you shouldn't expect them to make a big impact (I withhold the right to alter my conclusion should more information be given to me). A 3.5 or 3.25 is likely a walk-on level player.

I initially would've assumed a 3.75 star would be a better player than that, but as long as we know what the rankings mean this is useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                        Based on this info I would guess that a 3.75 should be a 4th line forward or 3rd pair D on a HE, NCHC or B1G team, where every team needs a few but you shouldn't expect them to make a big impact (I withhold the right to alter my conclusion should more information be given to me). A 3.5 or 3.25 is likely a walk-on level player.

I initially would've assumed a 3.75 star would be a better player than that, but as long as we know what the rankings mean this is useful.
                        ratchet it down 0.25 and your conclusion is mostly correct

Comment

ratchet it down 0.25 and your conclusion is mostly correct
                          players ranked 3.5 have a broad spectrum of potential. for example, a player might have already reached their potential thus destined as a 4th line forward, or may be a late bloomer but still needs time to develop and if they do may be a 1st or 2nd line forward as a senior. i hate to use the term, but a 3.5 can be a sort of "catch all". make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post

Of the top 20 freshman scorers last season in Hockey East, based on points per game, 3 had a 3.75 star rating on Neutral Zone and 2 had a 3.5 star rating:

3rd - Patrick Grasso (UNH) 3.75
                            T-6th - Ryan Lohin (Lowell) 3.75
                            T-11th - Derek Lodermeier (Vermont) 3.75
                            T-11th - Johnathan Kovacevic (Merrimack) 3.50
                            14th - Sami Tavernier (Merrimack) 3.50

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                              Chris Dilks' review of the USA U17 team. https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/col...the-ntdp-u17s?

The one name that will be interesting is:
                              "The one name..."

A sad way to express your thoughts when, arguably, the top USNTDP prospect (and only other uncommitted player) is the son of a former UNH women's hockey star. But you're probably right.

Also Sad - Top 30 Incoming Freshmen...
                              #3, Quinn Hughes - Also a son of Ellen Weinberg
                              #11, Ben Mirageas - Grew up in UNH footprint
                              #19, Max Gildon - Thank you Bucky!
                              #23, Riley Walsh - NH Native
                              #30, Jake Ryczek - UNH decommit
                              Last edited by Dan; 09-28-2017, 09:14 AM.
                              Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/c...SoPZN/amp.html

Comment

Working...
                                X