X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2016-2017

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
    Somebody asks whether you'd rather play a team you beat twice this year, or a team you beat once, lost to once and tied twice, what's your answer gonna be?

(And BTW; a parent-of-UW-player told me while waiting in line today that the girls said they'drather have been playing the Gophers.)
    Cornell?
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

(And BTW; a parent-of-UW-player told me while waiting in line today that the girls said they'drather have been playing the Gophers.)
      I can see that; they definitely would feel like they had some unfinished business with the Gophers. I'm sure that Minnesota's seniors were happy to get another crack at Clarkson -- right up until they lost to the Golden Knights again.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Somebody asks whether you'd rather play a team you beat twice this year, or a team you beat once, lost to once and tied twice, what's your answer gonna be?

BTW comment - and this just reinforces my perception that the UW players were focused on MN rather than CCT - the day after MN lost.....

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
          BTW comment - and this just reinforces my perception that the UW players were focused on MN rather than CCT - the day after MN lost.....

That doesn't say anything about the glasses you are wearing, does it? Why don't you interpret that as Wisconsin was more confident they could beat Minnesota than Clarkson? Do you think the only way the "eastern" team could have beaten the "western" team was if the "western" team was overconfident?

The game was between the Wisconsin Badgers and The Clarkson Golden Knights. two very good teams. Congrats to Badgers and Clarkson on great seasons! Congrats to the Knights on 2 of the last 4!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
            given your comments, today particularly, the sun rising in the East reinforces your perception. You seem to be incapable of understanding what people are writing in favor of being offended

Comment

One thing that I've always liked about the women's forum is that people tend to be pretty respectful when a team's fan base is hurting, particularly in that team's thread. It is pretty small to go into the thread of a team that just lost the biggest game of the year and try to pick a fight, no matter how right you think you are. The Clarkson fans that come in here show that respect. I wish some other fans would as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Quiet Riot View Post
                I feel so badly that you couldn't check off the most important one on the list. And worse off it was a team from the East. Geez, what a drag.
                Was that intended towards my earlier post? That wasn't meant to be a shot towards anyone, just listing off all the great things that had been accomplished leading up until today. As far as losing to an eastern team, it doesn't make it worse. Also wouldn't have meant any less had we beaten BC and Clarkson for the title.

Comment

Clarkson, St. Lawrence, Minnesota, and you have a nice 4 yr scheduling arrangement on the men's side. I'd like to see the women do the same thing. It would be good for the sport.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Simply put, it was a miserable end to a great season. I had no doubt that Clarkson could play with Wisconsin and I'm sure the staff and players felt the same. Considering Clarkson took them to OT earlier in the year and just beat the team that had ended their season three years in a row, the concept of them overlooking Clarkson is comical.

It's not even that Wisconsin didn't play well. I thought they played with a lot of energy and had a lot of good looks. Nurse probably puts that short-handed breakaway in the net 50% of the time. Just not today. Tiley needed to play a great game and she did just that. There were multiple scrums in front of the net that normally result in a goal. Just not today.

One thing that was not good were the penalties taken. Hard to argue any of the calls. The penalty that wiped out the goal was probably the most ill-timed penalty I've ever seen. Obviously you never know how things would have played out from there, but I feel Wisconsin would have had all the momentum. I've seen multiple games where the Badgers battled like hell for that first goal and that just seemed to loosen everyone up. Just not today.

I feel sick for the seniors. They came in when Minnesota had taken control of the WCHA and slowly, but surely, brought them back even and put up one of the best seasons in program history.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                      Simply put, it was a miserable end to a great season. I had no doubt that Clarkson could play with Wisconsin and I'm sure the staff and players felt the same. Considering Clarkson took them to OT earlier in the year and just beat the team that had ended their season three years in a row, the concept of them overlooking Clarkson is comical.

It's not even that Wisconsin didn't play well. I thought they played with a lot of energy and had a lot of good looks. Nurse probably puts that short-handed breakaway in the net 50% of the time. Just not today. Tiley needed to play a great game and she did just that. There were multiple scrums in front of the net that normally result in a goal. Just not today.

One thing that was not good were the penalties taken. Hard to argue any of the calls. The penalty that wiped out the goal was probably the most ill-timed penalty I've ever seen. Obviously you never know how things would have played out from there, but I feel Wisconsin would have had all the momentum. I've seen multiple games where the Badgers battled like hell for that first goal and that just seemed to loosen everyone up. Just not today.

I feel sick for the seniors. They came in when Minnesota had taken control of the WCHA and slowly, but surely, brought them back even and put up one of the best seasons in program history.
                      (With the possible exception of the tripping call that led to Clarkson's first goal - I want to see it on replay; live I thought it was pretty weak...)

+1 all around

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                        (With the possible exception of the tripping call that led to Clarkson's first goal - I want to see it on replay; live I thought it was pretty weak...)

+1 all around
                        I thought MJ would have been wise to use his timeout when Clarkson got their 2nd penalty. The way the game had gone up til then I felt it was critical that they score on their PP to even the game up 1-1 but more importantly to really give them the mental boost they needed to then go out and put the game away after that with maybe 2 or 3 more goals scored because of the confidence they would have had after scoring on their PP. Players play with a much different mentality when trailing in a big game than they do when the score is even. That was the key moment in the game in my opinion and he didn't seem to recognize that moment.
                        Last edited by shelfit; 03-19-2017, 10:56 PM.

Comment

+1 all around
                          Actually, I tend to agree with you on that. I didn't think it was a great call, but I wasn't shocked when it's right in front of the net. I thought Gardner made a good play, but what do you do?

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                            Actually, I tend to agree with you on that. I didn't think it was a great call, but I wasn't shocked when it's right in front of the net.
                            Officials tend to have a quicker whistle on a call like that when it involves a scoring chance. I thought it was a penalty. The one that could be debated was the first call on Pankowski where they called interference, which it wasn't. If anything it was a hook, but the Clarkson player pulled the stick under her arm and kept it there. Those wily Canadians. Wisconsin got the benefit of the calls after the Clark penalty; the officials likely didn't want another round of boos. The Roque hit on Shelton in the final minutes in particular warranted a boarding call.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                              The one that could be debated was the first call on Pankowski where they called interference, which it wasn't. If anything it was a hook, but the Clarkson player pulled the stick under her arm and kept it there.
                              That one was right in front of me, and I thought it was a good call, though you are correct that it should have been hooking. Pankowski had her stick in there good before the Clarkson player embellished it.

The Roque hit on Shelton in the final minutes in particular warranted a boarding call.
                              That wasn't boarding; it was a clear cut checking from behind major.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                                That wasn't boarding; it was a clear cut checking from behind major.
                                In the WCHA Final Face-Off it would have received the five-and-done. From what I saw called the rest of the season, it was usually boarding.

Comment

Working...
                                X