Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: An Experiment: A Literal Political Thread

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    I've consulted for top executives of no less than 50 companies...a dozen of which were F500. Regulation was not overwhelming.
    we are sort of saying the same thing from a different perspective. I said that large companies are able to employ a staff of compliance officers, and you are saying the same thing; I also said that small companies cannot employ such a staff given the relative size of their budgets.

The drivers of new job creation and innovation typically have been smaller businesses and startups. Not all innovation takes place there, to be sure.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      we are sort of saying the same thing from a different perspective. I said that large companies are able to employ a staff of compliance officers, and you are saying the same thing; I also said that small companies cannot employ such a staff given the relative size of their budgets.
      You may be surprised, but I kind of agree with you as well.

The ills that regulation is trying to ameliorate are classic Pareto problems. I would be interested in the practicality of a two-tiered regulatory state, where large companies have to check every box but small companies and M&Ps get a waiver for all but lethal issues.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Don't we kind of have that already? Many laws that apply to businesses don't apply to small businesses. Parts of the minimum wage, ACA, etc.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          You may be surprised, but I kind of agree with you as well.

The ills that regulation is trying to ameliorate are classic Pareto problems. I would be interested in the practicality of a two-tiered regulatory state, where large companies have to check every box but small companies and M&Ps get a waiver for all but lethal issues.
          Another surprising area where we probably agree is in anti-trust enforcement. Free-market capitalism may be a great economic engine, but it needs to be embedded in a broader social context. The people who operate within free-market capitalism still need to behave in ethical and socially responsible ways.

It is the nature of free market capitalism for the more efficient companies to drive less-efficient competitors out of business, and for companies within industries to consolidate to fewer and fewer, larger and larger ones. But this results in monopoly power and a certain form of "laziness" that undercuts the very same competitive power that brought it about in the first place.

It is d*mnably difficult to describe how and when anti-trust action should be applicable, though in many cases it is fairly apparent "just by looking at the situation" when it is called for (i.e., on an ad hoc basis, hard to codify though). The breakups of Standard Oil and of AT&T created standalone competitive firms which then led to substantial innovation and price reductions afterward, which is the desired result in the first place. Ironically, several of the companies that resulted from the initial breakups subsequently merged again.

Today, it seems to me that a company like Comcast should be forced to divest into two companies, one that provides content and one that delivers content. It seems inherently anti-competitive to me for the same company both to provide and to deliver content as they would be sorely tempted to restrict competitors' ability to deliver alternative content.

The practical problem with anti-trust enforcement, of course, is regulatory capture, and rent-seeking behavior, as companies in one industry try to use it to restrict competition from another. That happened with cable vs DSL: cable was successful in getting DSL to be regulated under one regime while cable is regulated under a different regime. With a different regulatory structure, DSL could be just as effective if not even more so than cable in content delivery; as it stands now, cable has a significant competitive advantage, not because of technology, but solely because of the difference in regulation.

If I am not mistaken, South Korea has unfettered DSL that provides better internet service there than cable provides here.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Jared Kushner interview in Forbes.

One way they raised money to fund the campaign was by selling Trump-themed merchandise, which also served as additional campaign advertising as well. Pretty clever, getting people to buy hats and T-shirts from you, which they then wear to spread the message for you.

Comment

One way they raised money to fund the campaign was by selling Trump-themed merchandise, which also served as additional campaign advertising as well. Pretty clever, getting people to buy hats and T-shirts from you, which they then wear to spread the message for you.
              All campaigns sell merch - that idea in and of itself is not that clever.

What was clever was the campaign slogan's appeal to people who think the country is going to hell in a handbasket.

Comment

Doesn't every presidential campaign in the modern era sell merchandise to the public? I don't see this as being any different than what others have done. Sure, most campaigns will hand out shirts and hats at rallies, but they always sell them on their sites, too.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  Doesn't every presidential campaign in the modern era sell merchandise to the public? I don't see this as being any different than what others have done. Sure, most campaigns will hand out shirts and hats at rallies, but they always sell them on their sites, too.
                  Hillary's website was still selling (heavily discounted) merch last week.
                  Originally posted by dicaslover
                  Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                  Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                    Hillary's website was still selling (heavily discounted) merch last week.
                    Everyone political entity sells t shirts, buttons, etc. I would assume there's still a demand for Hillary product. Oh and due to outcome of election...

/thread
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

Pretty clever, getting people to buy hats and T-shirts from you, which they then wear to spread the message for you.
                      Nike and Pink (Victoria's Secret) have no comment.
                      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        All campaigns sell merch - that idea in and of itself is not that clever.

What was clever was the campaign slogan's appeal to people who think the country is going to hell in a handbasket.
                        i don't think the latter was all that original either, Make America Great Again and Obama's changer were both great slogans that meant whatever someone wanted them to mean...
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Two questions:

1. What's the point of having a Senate and state borders if we get rid of the electoral college?

2. Also, my dad said there was some coalition of states that he said were joining together to agree to vote for the winner of the national popular vote. Not for this election but future. It's a movement that's been going for quite a while and all they need is 270 EVs before it more or less becomes the way things work. They're in the high hundreds right now. He also said it wouldn't require an amendment because they would effectively be either faithless electors or electors bound by the law of the state. is this a thing?
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            Two questions:

1. What's the point of having a Senate and state borders if we get rid of the electoral college?

2. Also, my dad said there was some coalition of states that he said were joining together to agree to vote for the winner of the national popular vote. Not for this election but future. It's a movement that's been going for quite a while and all they need is 270 EVs before it more or less becomes the way things work. They're in the high hundreds right now. He also said it wouldn't require an amendment because they would effectively be either faithless electors or electors bound by the law of the state. is this a thing?
                            As to the latter, yes. It's the national popular vote compact or something like that. They have about 185 EVs pledged thus far, but it's all from deep blue states. So good luck getting the last 100.

Comment

Any ideas on why so many on the left have become so unhinged?

One theory is that those people truly believe that they are more enlightened than everyone else and are suffering from severe cognitive dissonance that not everyone agrees with their self-assessment.

People on the right disliked Obama intensely but I don't recall the same level of insanity: there were no giant rallies against his inauguration, no one refused to attend it, there were no widespread claims his election was "illegitimate"1. Even people who opposed him hoped he'd do good things for the country.

1 the non-US citizen stuff was a fringe element, IMHO, hence the qualifier "widespread".

Comment

Any ideas on why so many on the left have become so unhinged?

One theory is that those people truly believe that they are more enlightened than everyone else and are suffering from severe cognitive dissonance that not everyone agrees with their self-assessment.

People on the right disliked Obama intensely but I don't recall the same level of insanity: there were no giant rallies against his inauguration, no one refused to attend it, there were no widespread claims his election was "illegitimate"1. Even people who opposed him hoped he'd do good things for the country.

1 the non-US citizen stuff was a fringe element, IMHO, hence the qualifier "widespread".
                                Who cares. Most of them didn't vote for Hillary anyway.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X