This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Travel Part 2 - Where ya headed?

In Nola for the week visiting family. Nothing big planned-enjoy the nice spring air, some walks, local festival or two, prob some music. We drove, so we plan to stop in Springfield on the way back to visit the Lincoln library, and I'm looking forward to that. Anyone here been there and have an idea how much time we should plan to spend there?

Comment

a word of advice for travelers to higher altitude places like switzerland etc. If you bought trip insurance, at least on that stuff sold by Allianz, it is void for any activity over 8000 ft. so read the fine print carefully. my policy said, void for mountain climbing or other high altitude activities. the definition of which was anything over 8000 ft. I was able to find another policy but you have to be careful.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Running season has me traveling to Charlevoix and Detroit this year. Vegas will have to wait until I get vacation time.

In terms of Detroit, I'm looking for places to eat. Slow's is good (for after the Marathon), yes, but I also would like an amazing breakfast location.
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

I'm curious if anyone here has ever driven the Mississippi Blues Highway, that stretch of U.S. 61 between New Orleans and Memphis, and have any unique suggestions of places to stop or eat.

I'm not going to have a ton of time, as I'll be leaving New Orleans in the morning and need to be in Memphis by that night. It would have been fun to find a little bar in Clarksdale or somewhere, but I'm just not going to have the time.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I'm going to be in Reims, France next month. Has anyone been there, any hotel recommendations? Can you get a champagne tour from there? I was planning on driving from there to Verdun for a tour of the battlefields, is that a good plan? Would it be smarter to stay in Verdun? I'm doing a day trip to Nancy and to drive the former F1 circuit just west of town.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Experienced travelers probably already know this "trick," for me, I stumbled into it accidentally the first time, and it has worked well for me ever since.

Depending upon how much you are packing, here's a way either to use a smaller carry-on bag than otherwise (really useful on small planes whose overhead bins will not accommodate roller bags) or to use a carry-on bag instead of a checked bag.

Just about every airplane I've ever been on has a small closet with a clothespole in it when you first board. They always let me hang my suit bag in there, every time. Now, I pack most of my shirts on hangers in the suit bag (either along with the suit or even if I don't need to bring a suit). Everything else now fits in a backpack.

It was really handy this past trip as I had a connecting flight to catch and almost everyone on the first leg had to have their "carry on" bags stored below the plane at the boarding gate because it was a small plane that wouldn't fit roller bags overhead. I was able to deplane and walk away while just about everyone else had to line up and wait for their bags to be brought up to the gate.
              Last edited by FreshFish; 06-12-2017, 08:56 AM.
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

My vehicle is now a 48-stater. It might make 49, probably not 50 though.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  I've seen cartoons and monster truck rallies, you could make it 50.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    There are only 49 states. Delaware is a myth.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      There are only 49 states. Delaware is a myth.
                      Funny thing is, that was the 48th I picked up over the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        I've seen cartoons and monster truck rallies, you could make it 50.
                        Technically I could even without the joke, given there are ways to ship a vehicle there and "cruise". However, I don't find it to be worth the trouble. Driving to Alaska, though, sounds like an interesting trip. I'll try to warn Jamesak so he can board up the house and put security ponies outside before I show up.

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                          Experienced travelers probably already know this "trick," for me, I stumbled into it accidentally the first time, and it has worked well for me ever since.

Depending upon how much you are packing, here's a way either to use a smaller carry-on bag than otherwise (really useful on small planes whose overhead bins will not accommodate roller bags) or to use a carry-on bag instead of a checked bag.

Just about every airplane I've ever been on has a small closet with a clothespole in it when you first board. They always let me hang my suit bag in there, every time. Now, I pack most of my shirts on hangers in the suit bag (either along with the suit or even if I don't need to bring a suit). Everything else now fits in a backpack.

It was really handy this past trip as I had a connecting flight to catch and almost everyone on the first leg had to have their "carry on" bags stored below the plane at the boarding gate because it was a small plane that wouldn't fit roller bags overhead. I was able to deplane and walk away while just about everyone else had to line up and wait for their bags to be brought up to the gate.
                          What airline do you fly? Delta never lets me use the closet unless I'm in first class.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            Not gonna convert it to a hydroplane, eh?

Comment

Fly Stewart International!!!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...hts-norwegian/
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                Heard about this. My friend who is a pilot for UAL is worried that Norwegian will bust up the ALPA.

Comment

Working...
                                X