Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New D1 coaches needed?

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
    Maybe some of the Gopher posters who know Coach Nadine better than I do can chime in on this, but I have never got the "psycho" vibe from her.
    Seriously, that's what makes a psycho person psycho. I have worked with a couple psycho people in the past, both were purchasing agents. They were nice as pie to external people like vendors and totally raving psychotic to fellow employees. In fact, right now I work for a small company where the boss's 2nd wife started working here. We now have to lock up the toilet paper and Kleenexes because she thinks we're taking them home. I tell you what, it is illegal in 49 states to call what she buys toilet paper toilet paper. She convinced her hubby to install cameras all over the building because she thinks people are stealing from the company (guess what state this TP would be legal in!). She re-arranged the office so she could have a clean view of everyone's computer monitor to watch what they are doing down there, though the layout makes no sense from a customer standpoint and she's on facebook all the time. Her desk is by the bathroom and one day she heard me pull the hand towel down 4 or 5 times to dry my hands and she complained I used too much towel. Wipe my Arse witch! ANYWAY, I hope that things settle down for your program on the coaches front and that you get some stability that allows the young ladies to excel. A better OSU makes all the WCHA better. We must defeat the Eastern scum. Looks like we won't be seeing each other until the last series of the year.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Maybe some of the Gopher posters who know Coach Nadine better than I do can chime in on this, but I have never got the "psycho" vibe from her.
      I thought what really made her complement Frost and Johnson well on the UM staff was that they are both low key and Nadine brings both passion and a bit of fire. Ask her to tell you the story of the traveling "M" and her first weekend in Bemidji as a coach some time for an example.

Anyway, I think the Gopher players really liked her as an assistant and saw her as a big sister and the person they could go to with anything. I realize that those relationships are likely different for a head coach. I wouldn't expect that people would view her as psycho. She may not be a good fit for some people. I'd say that as a head coach, she reminds me a little of someone like Maria Lewis. She has a magnetism, and it is obvious to anyone that she cares a lot. The staff will likely miss Peter for what he brought in terms of Xs and Os and international contacts, at least in the short term.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
        I thought what really made her complement Frost and Johnson well on the UM staff was that they are both low key and Nadine brings both passion and a bit of fire. Ask her to tell you the story of the traveling "M" and her first weekend in Bemidji as a coach some time for an example.

Anyway, I think the Gopher players really liked her as an assistant and saw her as a big sister and the person they could go to with anything. I realize that those relationships are likely different for a head coach. I wouldn't expect that people would view her as psycho. She may not be a good fit for some people. I'd say that as a head coach, she reminds me a little of someone like Maria Lewis. She has a magnetism, and it is obvious to anyone that she cares a lot. The staff will likely miss Peter for what he brought in terms of Xs and Os and international contacts, at least in the short term.
        I think the international contacts thing is way overrated whether it's Peter or anyone else from Europe. Did that really have any kind of positive effect?!

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
          I think the international contacts thing is way overrated whether it's Peter or anyone else from Europe. Did that really have any kind of positive effect?!
          Are you referring to the recruiter or the players recruited? Because the players are definitely having a positive effect. Off the top of my head, both Northeastern and Mercyhurst benefited greatly from their European players - Krizova; and Tanskanen and Nuutinen respectively.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            Seriously, that's what makes a psycho person psycho. I have worked with a couple psycho people in the past, both were purchasing agents. They were nice as pie to external people like vendors and totally raving psychotic to fellow employees. In fact, right now I work for a small company where the boss's 2nd wife started working here. We now have to lock up the toilet paper and Kleenexes because she thinks we're taking them home. I tell you what, it is illegal in 49 states to call what she buys toilet paper toilet paper. She convinced her hubby to install cameras all over the building because she thinks people are stealing from the company (guess what state this TP would be legal in!). She re-arranged the office so she could have a clean view of everyone's computer monitor to watch what they are doing down there, though the layout makes no sense from a customer standpoint and she's on facebook all the time. Her desk is by the bathroom and one day she heard me pull the hand towel down 4 or 5 times to dry my hands and she complained I used too much towel. Wipe my Arse witch! ANYWAY, I hope that things settle down for your program on the coaches front and that you get some stability that allows the young ladies to excel. A better OSU makes all the WCHA better. We must defeat the Eastern scum. Looks like we won't be seeing each other until the last series of the year.
            Wow, that sounds like a really toxic environment, but the way you told it made me smile, so thank you! I sincerely hope you are not in that environment now! As for our program, I just want an offseason where we don't lose a player or an assistant coach! OTOH, I do appreciate where we are at, and I am sure a lot of fans would trade places with me right now. We have a great team coming back, and despite the offseason losses, our team has the personnel to have another big season. As for seeing each other, I am not 100% sure I am making the trip up to Madison this season since it is that late in the season. I really want to because you and the fans up there are great, and we always have a nice time in Madison, but honestly, I am hoping we will need to save our $$$ for the NCAA Tournament about that time. Maybe the WCHA can get back to the top of the mountain this season. Gonna be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post

Thanks for your input. I can always count on you to fill me in on all things Gopher Women's Hockey, whether it is the current team, or a former player/coach. I have said this before and I will say it again ... I am thrilled that Coach Nadine is here and hope she stays for a long time! Getting to the Frozen Four in just her second season here was so beyond my wildest expectations. I think everyone remembers my sub-title from last season's thread ... "Home Playoffs This Season?" Needless to say, coming from Minnesota, Coach Nadine knows what it takes to become a Championship Program. I think you are spot on about her caring. In one of her interviews here, someone asked her a question regarding what advice did she get from Coach Frost. The answer was something along the lines of "Just show them you care. Look what they have been through!" We are definitely going to miss Coach Peter, but we will survive.

Comment

With two national team players from Finland and an Olympic goaltender from Switzerland coming in, I would say it definitely had a positive effect for us.

Comment

As for seeing each other, I am not 100% sure I am making the trip up to Madison this season since it is that late in the season. I really want to because you and the fans up there are great, and we always have a nice time in Madison, but honestly, I am hoping we will need to save our $$$ for the NCAA Tournament about that time. Maybe the WCHA can get back to the top of the mountain this season. Gonna be fun.
                  Yes, I still work in that toxic environment, but I get paid enough to where I really don't care. I get it on both accounts. I really envy you that you travel all over the place and watch the games. Every year I have goals of getting to some away games, but things always seem to get in the way (maybe I'm just not a committed enough fan, LOL). It's going to be a fun season of hockey like it always is, even when it ends not the way you want it to. Enjoy the games and make the memories of fun times with those you watch the games with.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

With two national team players from Finland and an Olympic goaltender from Switzerland coming in, I would say it definitely had a positive effect for us.
                    I just believe there are equally as talented players right here in the US. Have any programs won the National Championship because of the European influx on their team besides Shannon Miller at Duluth?! I'm just giving my opinion as always and I don't believe the European players are stronger overall than players right here in our own backyard. It sounds fancy to hear someone say that they have a European player or players on their team or that a certain coach has European contacts but unless all that suddenly makes a team a contender for the national title then they're just the same as every other team out there that's not competing for the championship every year.

Comment

I just believe there are equally as talented players right here in the US. Have any programs won the National Championship because of the European influx on their team besides Shannon Miller at Duluth?! I'm just giving my opinion as always and I don't believe the European players are stronger overall than players right here in our own backyard. It sounds fancy to hear someone say that they have a European player or players on their team or that a certain coach has European contacts but unless all that suddenly makes a team a contender for the national title then they're just the same as every other team out there that's not competing for the championship every year.
                      Michaela Pejzlova of Clarkson and Noora Raty of Minnesota.

There is no doubt that there is a range of talent in the European players that come over. I agree that just because it’s a European player doesn’t mean she’s automatically better than the North American players. For some schools though, recruiting a European who is as good as the 2nd best tier of American players might be easier than getting that 2nd level tier American player.
                      Last edited by Lindsay; 09-09-2018, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                        Michaela Pejzlova of Clarkson and Noora Raty of Minnesota.

There is no doubt that there is a range of talent in the European players that come over. I agree that just because it’s a European player doesn’t mean she’s automatically better than the North American players. For some schools though, recruiting a European who is as good as the 2nd best tier of American players might be easier than getting that 2nd level tier American player.
                        Both individuals are examples of very good players, no doubt about that. Both were surrounded by very deeply talented and primarily non-european rosters on their respective college teams without whom they would not have won national championships. Both were recruited by non-european college coaches/assistant coaches if I'm not mistaken, so you've proven there's not an absolute need for a European coach to attract good players from across the water. Your examples also prove those two teams didn't win those titles because of those two individuals or because they had several good Europeans on their rosters. Yes, I believe the Gophers were so deep they could have won it all without Noora Raty.

Comment

Given that a grand total of four teams have won a national championship in the last nineteen years, that's probably the wrong standard to hold out as determining whether European recruiting is a success for some schools. North Dakota went from doormats to being a consistent contender not just with the Lams, but with a big presence of European players. Those players were largely recruited by Peter Elander.

Yes, I believe the Gophers were so deep they could have won it all without Noora Raty.
                          I wouldn't be too confident about that. The 2012 champions had a lot going for them, but Räty was in a zone for the whole post-season, in which, if she saw the puck, she was going to stop it. The rest of the team fed off that. It's an open question whether they would have played as well without her.

The 2013 was good enough that they ought to have been able to win without Räty, but they played four overtime periods during the first two games of the NCAA tournament, so one extra slip up by that hypothetical goalie could have doomed them.

Comment

Working...
                          X