Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2013-2014 Season

Originally posted by tristarscoop View Post
    They got owned in the faceoff circle both nights.
    There's nothing new about this. I said during the 2010-11 season that I have never seen a great team that was so bad on faceoffs. It's like they planned out tactics that involved losing the puck and getting back on the forecheck.

Comment

My impressions after first weekend:

Someone has to step up and become the leader of the offense. Early front-runner is obviously Brittany Ammerman, but we'll see how that plays out. Clearly it's a team without a true offensive superstar, but right now it looks like a team without a leader. It's great that Rigsby is seen to be that person, but she can't run the team on the ice. Someone else has to step into that role and be the presence. It was especially clear on the Power Play that they need a point person/lead on offense. The Power Play on Sunday was abysmal at best - there was one where I'm certain the puck didn't stay in the zone for more than a few seconds at a time. Then they got it across the blue line, passed it around the boards, someone whiffed, and it just went right back out of the zone. It was so sad. I said on Twitter that it looked like the men's PP of the past few years and someone told me that was harsh, but that's when you know I'm serious. The team was more successful scoring shorties than they were on the PP.

They got owned in the faceoff circle both nights. They did better on Sunday, but overall this is something they need to improve upon immediately. If they struggle against Mankato, how do you think it will go next week against Minny?

They responded to adversity very well and they are spreading the puck. Mankato cut it to 2-1 in the early third and suddenly Rigsby was all but standing on her head. I was literally tweeting that Johnson might want to call the TO when UW scored. Then they scored again. The momentum flipped on a dime. It was well done of the Badgers to withstand the onslaught - this is where Rigsby will be so crucial for them - and then turn and make their own push.

Blayre Turnbull is going to be a force on this team. I think it'll be somewhat quiet, but it felt a bit like she's been biding her time until she could be an impact player. She was beyond fired up to score her goal yesterday.

The freshman made an immediate impact. Aside from the goals, I noted Nurse and McKibbon in scrums in front of the net quite a bit. Mellissa Channell was a factor in the middle of the ice quite a bit. It was great to see Jenny Ryan suit up on Sunday.

This early schedule is going to be so interesting. Mankato, Minny, St. Cloud, Lindenwood. They have to be ready for Minny and then that's a big ramp down again for a few weeks.
      It's true there is no "star" but A LOT of good teams play as a complete team. I think they are a more complete team than last year. I think that Nurse is going to be one of those star players in the future though when she gets more experience just watching the way that she plays.

Comment

It was especially clear on the Power Play that they need a point person/lead on offense. The Power Play on Sunday was abysmal at best - there was one where I'm certain the puck didn't stay in the zone for more than a few seconds at a time. Then they got it across the blue line, passed it around the boards, someone whiffed, and it just went right back out of the zone. It was so sad. I said on Twitter that it looked like the men's PP of the past few years and someone told me that was harsh, but that's when you know I'm serious. The team was more successful scoring shorties than they were on the PP.
        Burke will be your PP quarterback for 3 years. She has patience, hands, vision and a shot. I don't think that is the problem on the PP. The problem is likely just early season/lack of practice/cohesiveness and consistently losing face-offs (as described elsewhere) which takes away precious PP time. Also, MSU did a good job on the PK. On the otherhand, while MSU looked decent on the PP, they got a little careless. Carelessness against a team loaded with talent is a problem because when you make a mistake, they make you pay.
        Last edited by 96IllinoisDad; 10-06-2013, 11:30 PM.

Comment

As a season ticket holder, I was able to purchase additional tickets today for Fill the Bowl. Still not sure about the reserved ticket policy, but we'll see. Was able to request location and put in for center ice. Not only are the tickets only a $1 each, but there didn't look like any service charges for the on-line purchase which is not the norm for UW. Quite the deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
            As a season ticket holder, I was able to purchase additional tickets today for Fill the Bowl. Still not sure about the reserved ticket policy, but we'll see. Was able to request location and put in for center ice. Not only are the tickets only a $1 each, but there didn't look like any service charges for the on-line purchase which is not the norm for UW. Quite the deal.
            I'm probably going to have to ask someone in the ticket office how they're doing this. I'm wondering where people can request tickets in the 100 level, as there was a student section for the first two Fill-the-Bowls, but it was just part of the free-for-all of the whole arena. The only officially reserved area was for the band. If we get in for free as before (and I've got my red card), there's no sense in trying to reserve a seat, but I just want to know.

Comment

According to a ticket office representative, the student section will be more organized - go in through the student gate and get tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by sergio191 View Post
                It's true there is no "star" but A LOT of good teams play as a complete team. I think they are a more complete team than last year. I think that Nurse is going to be one of those star players in the future though when she gets more experience just watching the way that she plays.
                I don't think the lack of a "star" will hurt this team and didn't mean to imply that it would. I just meant that since there's not a clear leader elsewise, and since Rigsby seems to be the de facto leader since they chose her as captain, someone is going to have to step up and be the point/leader on offense. I didn't mean it in terms of points or goals, just pure leadership on the ice. It is early in the season, but the mistakes they made this weekend and that PP will be exploited against a better team - and they head to Minneapolis next week.
                It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                  According to a ticket office representative, the student section will be more organized - go in through the student gate and get tickets.
                  Good to hear. Fill the Bowl needs an organized and centralized student section. Now if they can just figure out the logistics of getting the students/band on the same end where the Badgers shoot in the 1st/3rd period.

Comment

I have never bought anything from the concession stand, is there anything good?

Comment

Nothing special, pretty standard fare at a relatively high price. The only nice thing about the team being exiled out to Verona or Middleton back in the day was cheap food (and beer in Middleton up in the mezzanine).

Comment

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...100713aaa.html

Note the last question on Madison Packer. Seems to indicate that she is one of the main leaders on the team.

Comment

Always thought Kohl concessions were pretty good...but then I'm used to the worst in the WCHA. Is there a marked difference between Kohl and the new joint?
                          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

I would guess that the concessions are literally the same at Kohl vs. LaBahn. The only difference I've noticed is that they now have Dr. Pepper products instead of Coca-Cola.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                              I would guess that the concessions are literally the same at Kohl vs. LaBahn. The only difference I've noticed is that they now have Dr. Pepper products instead of Coca-Cola.
                              I'm pretty sure they are the exact same. The selection may vary a bit (i.e. I don't think pizza is available at La Bahn), but the concessions at the Field House, La Bahn Arena, Kohl Center, and Camp Randall Stadium are the same food.

Comment

The food is nothing special. If you get nachos, just bear in mind the chips don't fit into the cheese resevoir very well, only at an angle, and then the chips don't reach the bottom. I'd rather spend $5.00 @ Culvers on the way home on a kids meal.

Speaking of Culvers, the 5 goal free ice cream/custard promotion is dead, eh? Instead there's a dollar off a basket meal coupon on the back ofthe ticket. That's really a bummer. It was always fun to try and beat the rush to the Culvers @ East Towne and they see all the fans there.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X