LSSU Lakers 2017 off-season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LSSU Lakers 2017 off-season thread

What a horrible year for the WCHA . Not a single team in the top twenty and most at the bottom in the power rankings. MN State was trying to jump leagues and play in the NCHC . I think they can kiss that chance away.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
      What a horrible year for the WCHA . Not a single team in the top twenty and most at the bottom in the power rankings. MN State was trying to jump leagues and play in the NCHC . I think they can kiss that chance away.
      I wonder how Michigan Tech or BG will do in the tournament, seeing they will most likely play against the #1 overall seed.
      Last edited by Laker Dude; 03-14-2017, 10:28 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by LakerBaker View Post
        According to veteran sports writer and broadcaster Randy Russon, James Roll and Luke Morgan will not be returning to the Good Ship Laker next season for various reasons and "issues at Lake State" as heard on tonite's Hockey North Show on ESPN Radio Station 1400.

They join the sophomore sensation Owen Headrick, along with Kristophers Bindulus as players not returning, and potentially others to follow, according to Randy Russon.
        I had other things to do, like buy pants, so I didn't hear the show. What's the sources on this?
        LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

They join the sophomore sensation Owen Headrick, along with Kristophers Bindulus as players not returning, and potentially others to follow, according to Randy Russon.
          The heck...you missed an opportunity to add "freshman phenom"!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Deman View Post
            I had other things to do, like buy pants, so I didn't hear the show. What's the sources on this?

Yeah I was watching LMN I wonder what the sources are as well.
            BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post
              Yeah I was watching LMN I wonder what the sources are as well.
              Not gonna lie, I was reading the paper, supporting hard working sports writers. Sorry to say they don't seem to report on unsubstantiated rumors. Must be bad for business or something.
              Go Lakers!

Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

Comment

Randy Russon stated on last night's Hockey North Show on ESPN Radio Station 1400 that Mitch Hultz is another player that is rumoured to be jumping the Good Ship Laker during the off-season, according to his sources.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                  With the WCHA new playoff format, has anyone heard how is working? Is attendance beter than the last couple of years?
                  Go Lakers!

Comment

Randy Russon stated on last night's Hockey North Show on ESPN Radio Station 1400 that Mitch Hultz is another player that is rumoured to be jumping the Good Ship Laker during the off-season, according to his sources.
                    Which is one of the worst kept rumors in town. They've been talking about that pretty much all year & will likely be gone as he's one of the top rated free agents (or at least was towards the start of the month). But again, I ask, where does Randy get this information from? After a cursory glance, I'm not seeing anything about any player officially leaving.

Also, it's Hults, not Hultz.
                    LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

• Re: LSSU Lakers 2017 off-season thread

Originally posted by Laker54 View Post
                      With the WCHA new playoff format, has anyone heard how is working? Is attendance beter than the last couple of years?
                      I imagine it is quite a bit better this season, although that would be pretty much a given since under the old format there were only 3 games played once they got down to 4 teams while this season there will be 6 (could have been a max of 7). It's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison, but playing at school sites obviously will give attendance a boost. I haven't looked at actual numbers. In theory, I didn't mind the old format but with the WCHA so geographically spread out it created a huge challenge to try and get any kind of reasonable attendance; plus most of the WCHA schools aren't exactly large schools with large fan bases.

Comment

Originally posted by Laker54 View Post
                        it's kind of hard to say. The previous format was a best-of-1 in a tournament style. This year it's best of 3.

The average attendance in the 2015 tournament according to USCHO was 7524, with a total attendance of 15,048. the teams in the tournament were: Bowling Green, Michigan Tech, Ferris State & Minnesota State. You can see 'actual' attendance for the games,according to Wikipedia, here (for the semifinal round, you're looking at 6844. These games were held at the Xcel Energy Center.

The two semifinal games, according to Wikipedia, had an attendance of 5,044. The schools involved were Bowling Green, Minnesota State, Ferris State & Michigan Tech. These games were held at the Van Andel Arena.

In the semi finals this year, according to the box scores we have:
                        MNS@MTU Game 1: 2015
                        MNS@MTU Game 2: 2616
                        MNS@MTU Game 3: 2163
                        Total Attendance: 6794

BGS@BMJ Game 1: 2162
                        BGS@BMJ Game 2: 2210
                        Total Attendance: 4372

So if you look at a previous tournament games, the average attendance per game is down, but the total number of people for the weekend (with 3 games played at least) comes pretty close to the attendance that they had in Grand Rapids & the Mankato@Tech series coming awfully close to the attendance in St. Paul.

The important thing to remember too is that you'll have fans from all 4 teams in the old WCHA tournament likely in attendance compared to just 2 teams, with the majority being for the home team.

That being said, I think this is a better overall move by the league. You don't have to pay an arm and a leg for these large venues that are going to be largely empty (Xcel holds ~17954, Van Andel holds ~10834 for hockey). It's also better for the schools, I think, by having that revenue stay in the area.
                        LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Deman View Post
                          Which is one of the worst kept rumors in town. They've been talking about that pretty much all year & will likely be gone as he's one of the top rated free agents (or at least was towards the start of the month). But again, I ask, where does Randy get this information from? After a cursory glance, I'm not seeing anything about any player officially leaving.

Also, it's Hults, not Hultz.
                          Yeah, we've been hearing all season that Hults and Bindulis were getting a lot of attention from NHL scouts so although we obviously hoped they stayed it's not exactly a big surprise that Bindulis has signed or that Hults may so do also. As for rumors of other players leaving, as has already been stated by a Tech fan, it's not unusual for players to leave due to lack of playing time these days. We lost Jason Bird for that reason last season. It wouldn't be a big surprise to me if Roll is leaving. He was getting reduced playing time this season although he got a little more after Headrick left for Erie. And we have 2 new D men scheduled to come in next season so that would affect his playing time even more. As for Morgan, that would be a big surprise and disappointment if he left. Count me skeptical about that.
                          Last edited by Bill; 03-15-2017, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                            Yeah, we've been hearing all season that Hults and Bindulis were getting a lot of attention from NHL scouts so although we obviously hoped they stayed it's not exactly a big surprise that Bindulis has signed or that Hults may so do also. As for rumors of other players leaving, as has already been stated by a Tech fan, it's not unusual for players to leave due to lack of playing time these days. We lost Jason Bird for that reason last season. It wouldn't be a big surprise to me if Roll is leaving. He was getting reduced playing time this season although he got a little more after Headrick left for Erie. And we have 2 new D men scheduled to come in next season so that would affect his playing time even more. As for Morgan, that would be a big surprise and disappointment if he left. Count me skeptical about that.
                            You can't fault a player for leaving if they aren't getting the ice time they think they deserve, but when you're leaving to either play in the ECHL, or one of the fringe leagues, or step down to D3 like a few guys have, it seems like an odd choice.

Morgan: This one really is odd. I think if he stayed for a few more years, he could become a pretty highly touted free agent. He would have to gain some size, but as long as his skill progresses with it, I don't see why teams wouldn't be flocking to him, especially since the NHL (at least the eastern conference) seems to be leaning back to quick, skilled players (the western conference seems to value big guys a bit more).

I guess we'll have to wait and see how the summer plays out, but unless someone can find an official source for these rumors, I can't really take them too seriously.
                            LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Comment

Be careful with sources. Donald Trump says he has sources all the time but we never see any of them .

Comment

My sources tell me that in 4 years there won't be a current Laker left; they will have ALL gone, left, departed, moved on. Happening at Tech, NMU & everywhere else too. It happens: for some it's a degree, a chance to play on/elsewhere or academic failure or worse yet; an injury.

Don't lose any sleep over the inevitable.

Comment

Working...
                                X