This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    What I really wanna know is who will be Captain next season. :-)
    Vela. Or Nazarian. But if Boyd comes back could be him.
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017-2018 Season - The Quest Continues

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
      Didn’t go last night. Have lost a lot of interest to be frank. Instead of improving, they have regressed. I need someone who watches the team game in and game out to tell me why.
      Greg,

These are my thoughts on why they have not been playing as well. Through the first seven games (5 wins, 1 OT loss and 1 OT Tie) of the season the defensemen were big contributors to the offense. It was mainly Maass (9 assists) and Gildon (6 goals and 2 assists). This does not include the exhibition game against St. Francis Xavier where Gildon had a goal and an assist. Now, let’s look at the last five games (0 wins, 4 losses and 1 OT tie). Maass only one goal and Gildon with only one assist in these five games.

This lack of offensive contribution from both Gildon and Maass is the big difference in the team’s performance of late in my opinion. Are these two players not playing as well as they were at the beginning of the season? Were they just lucky and now they are playing at their true skill level? Is the team (coaches and/or players) not using them as they did earlier in the season? I believe it is the later, but before I go into detail I would like to hear what others are thinking.
      Last edited by Ray Dorn; 01-08-2018, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Dorn View Post
        Greg,

These are my thoughts on why they have not been playing as well. Through the first seven games (5 wins, 1 OT loss and 1 OT Tie) of the season the defensemen were big contributors to the offense. It was mainly Maass (9 assists) and Gildon (6 goals and 2 assists). This does not include the exhibition game against St. Francis Xavier where Gildon had a goal and an assist. Now, let’s look at the last five games (0 wins, 4 losses and 1 OT tie). Maass only one goal and Gildon with only one assist in these five games.

This lack of offensive contribution from both Gildon and Maass is the big difference in the team’s performance of late in my opinion. Are these two players not playing as well as they were at the beginning of the season? Were they just lucky and now they are playing at their true skill level? Is the team (coaches and/or players) not using them as they did earlier in the season? I believe it is the later, but before I go into detail I would like to hear what others are thinking.
        Ray, great post; and I like the direction of your thinking. Looking forward to other posters (and yours) perspectives on this topic...and on that vein it was good to see Maass get one the other night. More of that please.
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by snively65 View Post
          what i really wanna know is who will be captain next season. :-)
          Originally posted by felger View Post
          fregona
          Miller (Chris OR James)
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• I touched on this earlier - but, first of all, if you're counting on your true freshmen, eighteen year old defensemen to carry your offense you're asking for trouble. The issue is the lack of production from the upper class forwards - whose job it is to score...

The biggest issue is the PP. Like most defensemen both Gildon and Maass will get most of their points on the PP. The PP has all but disappeared over the last 12 games. The reason being because the upperclass forwards have not been good enough. When Gildon/Maass had such early success getting shots to the net opposing coaches adjusted. Look at opposing PK boxes - they've expanded and Fs are now on top of them to force them to move the puck rather than shoot. There's not much they can do but get the puck to the forwards on the wing having created space. The Fs are not taking advantage of the space...

UNH went 3-for-3 on the PP against RPI. In the six previous games they were 1-for-24 (4%). In the five games since they're 2-for-17 (12%). Over the last 12 games, excluding the one outlier the PP is 3-for-41 (7%). If the PP can't adjust - if the PP forwards can't help the cause - the offense is going to struggle the rest of the way.

McNicholas, Salvaggio, Grasso and Blackburn combined for 23 PP goals last year (TK had 13). This year they have six combined. All told UNH forwards have nine PP goals and the D have seven. Now that D shots or tip ins have been taken away the PP is impotent. It's not the two young defense men's fault they're not getting points (and really at 18 the early rate they were converting was always unsustainable)...

I've given Souza a lot of credit for the PP and creative adjustments - its long over due he makes an adjustment. My faith is being tested...

---

The two D are playing the same game. Maass is playing a simple N-S game and getting pucks quickly to forwards. But they're not finishing at a high rate any longer. Gildon is still commanding the break out, often eschewing the simple play to make the stretch pass, breaking out through the middle or skating out of the zone on his own. But when he gets the puck to the forwards they're not finishing at a high rate any longer...

---

And I watch them game in and game out on video - every home game plus at UVM, UM, BU, RPI and Dartmouth...

---

C - Vela
            A - Eiserman
            A - Wyse
            Last edited by Dan; 01-08-2018, 07:21 PM.
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
              I touched on this earlier - but, first of all, if you're counting on your true freshmen, eighteen year old defensemen to carry your offense you're asking for trouble. The issue is the lack of production from the upper class forwards - whose job it is to score...

The biggest issue is the PP. Like most defensemen both Gildon and Maass will get most of their points on the PP. The PP has all but disappeared over the last 12 games. The reason being because the upperclass forwards have not been good enough. When Gildon/Maass had such early success getting shots to the net opposing coaches adjusted. Look at opposing PK boxes - they've expanded and Fs are now on top of them to force him to move the puck rather than shoot. There's not much they can do but get the puck to the forwards in the wing having created space. The Fs are not taking advantage of the space...

UNH went 3-for-3 on the PP against RPI. I'm the six previous games they were 1-for-24 (4%). In the five games since they're 2-for-17 (12%). Over the last 12 games, excluding the one outlier the PP is 3-for-41 (7%). If the PP can't adjust - if the PP forwards can't help the cause - the offense is going to struggle the rest of the way.

McNicholas, Salvaggio, Grasso and Blackburn combined for 23 PP goals last year (TK had 13). This year they have six combined. All told UNH forwards have nine PP goals and the D have seven. Now that D shots or tip ins have been taken away the PP is impotent. It's not the two young defense men's fault they're not getting points...

I've given Souza a lot of credit for the PP and creative adjustments - its long over due he makes an adjustment. Or maybe I was off base.

---

The two D are playing the same game. Maass is playing a simple N-S game and getting pucks quickly to forwards. But they're not finishing at a high rate any longer. Gildon is still commanding the break out, often eschewing the simple play to make the stretch pass, breaking out threw the middle or skating out of the zone on his own. But when he gets the puck to the forwards they're not finishing at a high rate any longer...

---

And I watch them game in and game out on video - every home game plus at UVM, UM, BU, RPI and Dartmouth...

---

C - Vela
              A - Eiserman
              A - Wyse
              Whoa Dan did not realize (the numbers at least) where we have been with the forwards and their lack of production. I mean, I knew the PP had not been great. Between this and Ray's post below I think it gives us a good idea about what's going on there. As per your captains, Eiserman? Agree with your Capt. choice (and Wyse would be a good Asst.)
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                Whoa Dan did not realize (the numbers at least) where we have been with the forwards and their lack of production. I mean, I knew the PP had not been great. Between this and Ray's post below I think it gives us a good idea about what's going on there. As per your captains, Eiserman? Agree with your Capt. choice (and Wyse would be a good Asst.)
                I like Eiserman's game a lot - he would set a physical, hard-skating example. He has been passionate about UNH hockey since childhood. I don't know what he's like in the locker room - but from the outside I think he fits the role. I knew it may not be the most expected choice. We'll see...

I'd much rather Wyse get a letter than simply rewarding another SR who I don't think fits. I wouldn't mind, at all, if Wyse was the C...
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                  I like Eiserman's game a lot - he would set a physical, hard-skating example. He has been passionate about UNH hockey since childhood. I don't know what he's like in the locker room - but from the outside I think he fits the role. I knew it may not be the most expected choice. We'll see...

I'd much rather Wyse get a letter than simply rewarding another SR who I don't think fits. I wouldn't mind, at all, if Wyse was the C...
                  Agree totally but isn't Eiserman a Senior? I thought he would be selected this year...
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

I like both players but...

McNicholas and Salvaggio have combined for just ten goals this season. They had 36 last year. Salvaggio has only scored in three out of 20 games. They're a combined -10. They're seniors. This is where the O struggles really manifest...

Grasso scored 20 last year and is now out for the season. TK's 24 goals graduated. I mean...
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

Agree totally but isn't Eiserman a Senior? I thought he would be selected this year...
                      You are right my mistake. He should have been selected...!

Miller or Boyd likely get a letter then. But I'd edit my answer to a pair of C's for Wyse and Vela...
                      Last edited by Dan; 01-08-2018, 07:17 PM.
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        I like both players but...

McNicholas and Salvaggio have combined for just ten goals this season. They had 36 last year. Salvaggio has only scored in three out of 20 games. They're a combined -10. They're seniors. This is where the O struggles really manifest...

Grasso scored 20 last year and is now out for the season. TK's 24 goals graduated. I mean...
                        Absolutely see your point. Goals have had to come from elsewhere buthout their contribution point wise it's tough to win games. Let me ask you who would you replace them with on the PP?
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Absolutely see your point. Goals have had to come from elsewhere buthout their contribution point wise it's tough to win games. Let me ask you who would you replace them with on the PP?
                          I'm not sure there are great options to replace them - they're both still good offensive players. McNicholas as a passer and Salvaggio as a shooter. They just need to produce...

I think what needs to happen is the PP strategy needs to change. Something needs to happen to get more movement and different movement. I'd like to see McNicholas move around the PP more (scrap the MM one-timer, it's not paying dirt) and look to make plays. Maybe this gets Gildon on a wing at times where he is unexpected and can shoot. Can all this movement creat passes to Salvaggio in good shooting position? Something needs to change...

If that doesn't work - then by all means they should mix and match between the two PP units. But in terms of players not playing PP who could step in? Not many options.

Maass did take Grasso's spot as a second D on the first unit (instead of another F). So we'll see if two shooting D can pay dividends instead of one.

Not sure if the Brown PP goal was a play or good fortune - but going low and then across the slot to a pinching D (rather than to the F in front or back up high) is the type of creativity they need to mix in. Just shooting from up high has been answered by opponents...

One alternative might be adding Eiserman to the PP down low and making that odd from 11 to 12 - then asking Eiserman to drive the net from the side. To either stuff one in, make a move or find the F on the other side for a tap in. Bottom line, move and add wrinkles. Doing so might, at the very least, start to open up what was working earlier in the year...

---

PP options have to come from some combination of 11, 10, 22, 23, 7, 26, 17, 12 up front and 18, 28, 21, 6 in the back. So it's really finding adjustments that work for the guys your already using...
                          Last edited by Dan; 01-08-2018, 07:55 PM.
                          Live Free or Die!!
                          Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                            I'm not sure there are great options to replace them - they're both still good offensive players. McNicholas as a passer and Salvaggio as a shooter. They just need to produce...

I think what needs to happen is the PP strategy needs to change. Something needs to happen to get more movement and different movement. I'd like to see McNicholas move around the PP more (scrap the MM one-timer, it's not paying dirt) and look to make plays. Maybe this gets Gildon on a wing at times where he is unexpected and can shoot. Can all this movement creat passes to Salvaggio in good shooting position? Something needs to change...

If that doesn't work - then by all means they should mix and match between the two PP units. But in terms of players not playing PP who could step in? Not many options.

Maass did take Grasso's spot as a second D on the first unit (instead of another F). So we'll see if two shooting D can pay dividends instead of one.

Not sure if the Brown PP goal was a play or good fortune - but going low and then across the slot to a pinching D is the type of creativity they need to mix in. Just shooting from up high has been answered by opponents...
                            No question they are both excellent players with the strengths you've mentioned. TyK created a lot of that movement you speak of (play making) which has been the issue. Surely the coaches see this...
                            Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-08-2018, 07:58 PM.
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

No question they are both excellent players with the strengths you've mentioned. TyK created a lot of that movement you speak of (play making) which has been the issue. Surely the coachs see this?
                              I'm sure they do - but creating that movement is where they need outside the box thinking. MM has always been a stationary playmaker on the PP or looking for his one-time shot. He's probably the guy who could freelance and move - but they haven't asked him too. Maybe Nazarian skates well enough?

But the TK PP may not be the answer either - maybe just moving the puck faster and switching more? Stationary passing and trying to force things through shooting D isn't working though...

It's not an easy fix - but the fix has to happen or the D/G need to be perfect. And that's too much to ask...
                              Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Dorn View Post
                                Greg,

Ray, I'll respond to your observations. I completely agree that something has changed. Gildon does not seem to have the same confidence or has been given a new directive. Yes other teams are on to both of these freshmen and the lanes have been closed or certainly narrowed but something else has changed. Gildon does not look as comfortable and is not taking the shoots that he could. As Dan has noted, he is a very hot and cold player still and you have to wonder how he has lost his edge. Our use of the points, which is what we did early in the season has been diminished and we keep hoping that we can get that weak side slot shot off, because it worked so well last year.

Miller is a big loss in my book. He would have been a solid contributor by his junior year.
                                As too who wears the C next year. It will be richie, Cuse that is the way it happens. all great kids but often surprising choices. Third pairing Captain. sound familiar?

Comment

Working...
                                X